Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

newer dakota's

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 07:53 AM
chado
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newer dakota's

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with reliability...usability of the newer dakotas. My girlfriend (though she wears ford shirts and drinks from a 100th anniversary edition mug) is a traitor and doesn't like the ranger as much as the dakota (I think its the fact that its got a nice amount of headroom for a mini truck. The fact that I am 6'3 and she is 5'2 leads us to have a slightly different opinion with stuff) I want her to get a truck so I'm pretty much going to let her go with anything she wants even if I hate it. Better then getting a buick I guess?

She likes the old s-10's and the new s-10 extremes and the dakotas. I'm gonna laugh when she gets stuck in the snow (second thought I wont because I'm gonna have to pull her out and I only have a 2wd truck )

Anyway back to my original question the new dodge dakotas whenever they switched to the current body style.

the 3.9L v6 or the 5.9L v8 either or and everything in between (not just the engine) thoughts/comments? I sat in one and I dont see how she is going to drive it because of how low you sit but...)

Anyway,
let me know
Chado

Old 09-18-2003, 01:49 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
newer dakota's

The only way I would possibly own a Dakota is if it was 4x4, and had the 4.7L engine. That's Dodge's first new V8 engine for their trucks since the late 50's I think...and it has finally caught up with technology. Better gas mileage, more power, smooth...

Old 09-18-2003, 08:51 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
newer dakota's

The problem with Dakotas is they get as bad of gas mileage as a full size, which is one of the reasons I got a ranger. The v-6 is way underpowered for that truck and the V-8 is very thirsty. Consider that the Dakota is about 650 lbs heavier, 3606 lbs for a super cab Ranger and 4256 lbs for a club cab Dakota both 4x4. I don't really think the Dakota is a bad truck at all, I just feel that the Ranger is more practical for a small pickup. I would suppose if you have a lot of hauling needs like pulling a heavy trailer on a regular basis and don't want a full size, then the Dakota is the way to go, but if you're looking for a good daily driver that can take a beating keep on going, the Ranger is far better.

Old 09-18-2003, 09:02 PM
chado
Posting Guru
newer dakota's

We are talking about a female here.

I want her to get a lifted 79 Bronco, or even better I'd prefer her to get a 79 F-150 Ranger Lariat 2 tone paint 4x4 31x10.5" A/T tires automatic...manual hubs mmmm.

But NOOOO we cant get something practical (I hate insurance its too damn expensive even for girls around here) insurance on the old trucks is so cheap. Has to be "pretty"

BLAH!!!

I just want to know how much work its going to be for me to fix and if they are lemons, I see alot of them around cant be that bad? Are they know for any particulary nasty things? Or just that they are rugged if not overbuilt and not very good on gas?

Gas isn't a factor at this point. The 5.9L will probably have stupid insurance, if we go this route it will be a 2wd v6 one. Again this is for my girlfriend. I dont like trucks newer then 79 with the exception of the new PSD SD's.

Chado

Old 09-18-2003, 09:15 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
newer dakota's

Dang women, don't ever try to figure out what is going through their mind, besides what shoes go with what shirt. At least she knows the difference between a Dadge and a Ford and doesn't just want "A Red One."
I have heard some bad things about Dakota trannies but that was more in the 90's, how new are you looking. I could never justify getting a Dakota even if I wasn't brand loyal, they just don't make sence to me. If you're going to get a Dakota, you'd be better off with a Ram, if you're going to go the Dodge route. But I can't say that I know of any real particular problems with them. Could find a dodge site and check wiht them, of course they will tell you the Dakota is far Superior, but you should be able to find out what kind of problems people are having with them.

Old 09-18-2003, 09:23 PM
chado
Posting Guru
newer dakota's

Oh...a ram? Well wouldn't that be nice. I like the front end, unfortunatley they are too big I'm told!!!!!!

So she thinks dakotas are "cute and pretty" she likes s-10's but I cant even sit in the damn things there so small. Have more room in a honda accord.

I could cave and let her get a car I guess ;/ She'd be happy in a mid 90's crown vic. I just find cars useless, she has just me and her in the car normally. Easier to say no if you have no seats avail. I find Sometimes she drives when we go out for lunch, not because she is the only one that can but she is driving a 91 lincoln continental now...decent enough but I dont want to foot the repair bill when it breaks (and break it does)

Crown vics in the 90's look just as complicated and she doesn't like the older 80's or older crown vics cuz they are boxy. !!!!! I tease her about saying she likes ford then shooting down everything I point out thats ford (I even suggested a taurus during one of my more frustrated moments...but she doesn't like them much she said)

I swear 5 minuites with this woman and you'd go nuts!!!!

Chado

ps: thought I might add, all of my "wonderful" helpful friends tell me to back off and let her get what she wants. Oh well that would be nice if she even new that. On top of that I get to fix the stupid thing when it breaks if she gets what she wants (A LINCOLN TOWN CAR!!!!!! and she cant afford anything over 10K so the thing will be yelling " I want to be repaired")

GAH!!!

Here is what I found today "ITS TO BIG!! But I like it I just wont drive it, why dont you buy it?"

$6000CDN 78 Bronco.

Last edited by chado; 09-18-2003 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:55 PM
MountainHound
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
newer dakota's

I had a '93 Dakota 4x4 reg cab with 318 and a 5 speed and it was a great truck. I traded it with 80+K miles on it and never did anything but maintenance to it. Wish I'd kept it! The 318 vas a great little V8-not real fast but had a bunch of power in lower gears!

Don't know much about the newer Dakotas but if they're like late model Rams I wouldn't touch one.