Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-2003, 09:53 AM
New User

ChickenTruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just found this forum.

I am also interested in 6 rims.
Has Stockton ruled out a special order for 16" rims ?
Old 10-06-2003, 06:56 AM
Freshman User

leawq2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
In reply to both questions. First, all I can say is my tire dealer carries 17.5 tires in stock. Of course, I live in a rural area, with lots of farmers, so that may be the reason. I really don't know. Secondly, I don't think Stockton has ruled out the 16" rims. They are just having some difficulty getting a producer for the rim. It seems that they farm out this type work. When 1 Ton checked with them, I believe the problem was in the offset. Any way, there is not definitive date on when or if they will be available.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:23 PM
New User

blackar is starting off with a positive reputation.
also just found this website i'm also interested in 6 rims. did you find that the 17.5's worked? and price? im in the same boat in that my 2 pc.rims just rotted out and just want something that works!
Old 10-15-2003, 06:38 AM
Freshman User

I have ordered the rims. The last time I heard from Stockton, they were in the paint shop; that was last Friday. Hopefully, they well go out this week. I have been holding off on posting anything, because I wanted to get them here and check them out for a good fit. They were pricey, but in the scheme of things, it was cheeper than replacing the front and rear ends to accomidate the 8 lug wheels. I don't have the invoice in front of me, but with the purchase and shipping they are approximately $170 each. Since I had to go to a specialty company to get them, I really was expecting about three time the regular price of an off the shelf rim, so I wasn't too far off base. The 8 lug rims run $60 a piece, plus the shipping. So all in all the price wasn't to ridiculous. When I get the wheels, I will let everyone know how they work out. Stay tuned.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:46 PM
New User

I contacted Stockton last nite as well and today they wrote and said they had a powder coated set in stock 150 ea. ,plus shipping im sure. A guy named Frank said he uses them on his his 60 f-350
I dont know what to do its hard to spend 1000 dollars plus on wheels and tires on a truck i paid 500 dollars for.
Let me know how you make out Im still considering it...its a working truck and it will pay for itself
Old 10-26-2003, 07:19 AM
Freshman User

Talking The Wheels are In

I came home from work Friday to find my front porch loaded with Stockton Wheel boxes. The rims are here and they look really good. I compared one of them to my old spare, and the coined bolt pattern patched up perfectly. This week I will try to get it in the shop to have the tires mounted and the wheel put on the truck. I will post more later, but for now it looks like the 17.5x5.25 6x7.25 tubeless Dually wheels from Stockton Wheel will work.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:33 AM
Postmaster

Rosati is starting off with a positive reputation.
Classic Trucks had a tidbit about these wheels in a recent issue. I don't have it handy at the moment, but I'll find it later.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:03 AM
New User

leawq2 are you interested in selling your old rims i really only need one and can't seem to locate one locally. At this point I cant afford to upgrade to the new size and style wheels and just want to get the truck back in service. Let me Know
Old 10-31-2003, 09:45 AM
Freshman User

Wink Final Verdict

The 17.5 x 5.25 6 on 7.25 dually wheels are on the truck along with new tires. This improved the overall driving of the truck 100%. With the old rusty original split-rim wheels and old tires, the truck had a very strong shake in the steering. That is gone. I just need to address the lack of shocks on the truck now to stabilize it and make the ride a little more comfortable. However, this is an old straight axle F350, so I don’t expect it to ever ride like a new F100.

My satisfaction with Stockton Wheel is a little low this morning. When I picked up the truck from my tire dealer yesterday afternoon, he informed me that one of the wheels was warped. They were quite aware that these were new wheels…they were still in the box and strapped down on the bed when they got the truck. At a $150 apiece, I would expect a little better quality, so I will be contacting Stockton Wheel this morning to arrange for a replacement.

Although, one is warped, I still have six good wheels on the ground. I had purchased seven to include the spare. Not only would I have a good spare, but should something happen to one of the wheels, I would have a replacement on hand.

When I settle up with Stockton, I will post something else. Anyway, these wheels are a good replacement for our old F-350. The bolt circle is correct, and the wheels are tubeless, getting you away from the old unsafe two part rims; however, they are pricey. Unless like me and you plan to keep your truck forever, $1,200 is a bit steep to sink into a set of wheel, especially since new tires will run around $100 a piece, too. Still in the scheme of things, I should have to do this for a long time again and never for the wheels.

Yesterday, Krosti (the Moderator for this forum) shared an interesting article with me. I find it interesting in the fact that I have been in contact with Stockton Wheel for a while now and this tidbit never came up in my discussion with them.

Here is the article from Classic Trucks Dec '03 Volume 12 no.12 page 13; I hope it helps you guys out with your wheels. I tried to find a picture of the wheel on their website but they don't have it posted yet. The closest 'looking' Wheel is the 'Super Single' on this page. The slots are more of a half circle and are open next to the rim. http://www.stocktonwheel.com/heavy_duty_wheels.htm

Section: Parts Department
Title: Keep Those Big Wheels Turnin'

Text: If you own a vintage, heavy-duty 1-ton truck, you can upgrade those old tube-style wheels with Stockton Wheel's new Power Wagon II. This heavy-duty steel wheel is made to precise tolerances and allows the use of any modern tubeless tire. The Power Wagon II wheel features a 6x7.25-inch bolt circle and is manufactured to fit on early 1-ton Fords, Dodge Power Wagons, International pickups, and M715 Military Jeeps. Stockton Wheel manufactures the Power Wagon II wheel in 16-, 16.5-, and 17- inch diameters and can accommodate any width or offset you desire. The wheels come finished white, gloss black, silver powdercoat, and chrome. For more information, contact Stockton Wheel, 648 W.Freemont St., Dept.CT, Stockton, CA 95203; Call (209)464-7771 or (800)395-WHEEL; visit www.stocktonwheel.com.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:13 PM
New User

ADAMSR52 is starting off with a positive reputation.
6 on 7.25 dual wheel

I am interested in the 16X6 6 on 7.25 wheel. I have a 1966 F350 6 lug with lock ring wheels that are starting to rush and push out at the rivet area circle ring to wheel. I have too look for one piece 6 lug wheel with very little luck. This week I have a tire dealer that will put new tires on the front and has done lock ring wheel for 20+ years. The tire on it now is a 7.5/16R 10 ply, the new tire that I am putting all the way is a 235/85/16LT (Road tire in front - all terrain/mud tire). Because they are tube type wheels the front tire is $134.00 each plus tube $24.00 and if I need a circle liner $?. The back tires (4 of ) add another $15.00 each for the all terrain/mud. I bought the truck just to drive to town on the weekends for coffee at the café, I have about $1600.00 in it and drive it every weekend when its not raining, another $1050.00 after tires and it could use a set of shocks. Find body parts is almost impossible and ever one item is at $300.00+. That more than I paid for the Truck which was $350.00. My wife say its like a boat putting money in a hole that you cannot got back, I believe she is right on that, no one local would buy and it just a toy to my, until I fine something different. 66bigred. Have not figured out now to send a picture-sorry.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:29 AM
New User

terhotrod is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have 2 and maybe six 16-6 w/6 x 7.25 center split ring wheels with 6092 accual miles on them. I converted my 65 f350 to 8 lug. I will sell but shipping would be terrible. zip 45810
Old 01-16-2014, 09:37 AM
New User

6 on 7.25 dual wheel

Thank you for your reply back to me, However I am still looking for new 1 piece wheels and have not decided if the cost is beneficial in the long run.
66bigred
Old 09-25-2014, 10:16 PM
New User

r smith is starting off with a positive reputation.
6 lug dually wheels

Any news on finding a remedy for those in need of a 6 lug 16" dually wheel?
Old 09-26-2014, 08:32 AM
New User

6 on 7.25 dual wheel

Good morning, No I have found anyone as of yet, 1 piece 16" 6 lug rims. I did put new tires on the front which made a world of different in the handling as will as new stocks. I have a different problem now with the brakes. I have a leak some where that I have not found, the pedal goes to the floor no brakes, not showing any leaks at the wheels cylinders, that I can see, master cylinder will loose fluid if pedal is pumped like bleeding the brakes. Has me puzzled for how, but still looking for rims. My rims are not a spilt ring or split rim, they are a solid ring and rim. I have found new rings, just have not found the rims. still have not figured out how to send a picture. 66bigred
Old 09-26-2014, 10:11 AM
Post Fiend

truckdog62563 is a splendid one to beholdtruckdog62563 is a splendid one to beholdtruckdog62563 is a splendid one to beholdtruckdog62563 is a splendid one to beholdtruckdog62563 is a splendid one to beholdtruckdog62563 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAMSR52 View Post
I have found new rings, just have not found the rims.
Regarding this quote, make double sure the new rings are the correct design and width specification for the truck's rims. Mix matching designs is dangerous. The most common design used was the Firestone "RHP" as pictured below.

As for finding one piece tubeless 16" wheels, whether SRW or DRW, having the 6 x 7.25" pattern, dream on. They were never made, and the only way to get them today is to have them custom made. The source I like is American Wheel Speciaist of Pasco, WA. Another is Stockton Wheel. Stu

'51 F-3; '51 F-3; '52 R32-4, '53 6M254 -parts/donors
'97 F-250 4WD/460/ZF5 - trailer duty
'03 E-450 Fun Mover; '07 E-350 parts hauler; '13 E-350 Lab taxi
Old 09-26-2014, 10:11 AM