evaporative emission control system control valve

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by fozzy19
I saw this thread and am hoping that someone can help me that has looked at this thread. I am experiencing a similar problem with my 1995 F150 V8 5.0. The check engine light came on, I went to autozone and the code that came up was 565 and 111. The 565 code is supposed to be a Canister Purge System Fault, and 111 was a no fault.

I am wondering if I should replace the assembly as described in a earlier post by replacing the hose, purge valve and flow sensor? or If there is something else I should be looking at to fix this issue?

I have not been able to locate these items under the hood of my car so I am hoping someone can help me out with that as well.

Thanks.
Welcome to FTE.

Your best bet is to try your question in the F-150 Forum that covers your '95.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/

Good luck with the troubleshooting.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:56 PM
tchalfant
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P1443 ODB2 Code

Hi all,

I have the mil light on and bought an ODB2 diagnostic reader. The code it shows is P1443.
One of the symptoms I am having is if I fill my gas tank full 9top it off), gas will leak from under my truck at the gas cap.
So, would that cause the code to come on? I am assuming it is a hose from the gas cap area to the tank that is leaking. The truck does not leak after it goes down an 1/8 or so. If it does not effect the code or cause the code, I guess replace the whole assembly - any thoughts on cost and/or where to get it? (I saw the prior post on parts and assemblies - THANK YOU).

Old 11-07-2007, 06:37 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 872 Likes on 724 Posts
Identify your vehicle.

Steve

Old 11-07-2007, 07:06 PM
tchalfant
New User
P1443 1997 Ford Ranger

Sorry, newbie. It is a 1997 Ford Ranger
To update, I think the hose from the fuel tank to the gas cap does create the P1443 error. Many posts said make sure the gas cap is on tight. Since mine has a leak it must not be able to maintain pressure/vacuum?
Any idea of the part number for the hose? Any tips on replacing?
Thank you for this forum.

Originally Posted by tchalfant
Hi all,

I have the mil light on and bought an ODB2 diagnostic reader. The code it shows is P1443.
One of the symptoms I am having is if I fill my gas tank full 9top it off), gas will leak from under my truck at the gas cap.
So, would that cause the code to come on? I am assuming it is a hose from the gas cap area to the tank that is leaking. The truck does not leak after it goes down an 1/8 or so. If it does not effect the code or cause the code, I guess replace the whole assembly - any thoughts on cost and/or where to get it? (I saw the prior post on parts and assemblies - THANK YOU).

Old 02-06-2008, 10:05 PM
swensonm
New User
96 Ranger 2.3

Howdy ..First post!
I like many other have the 1443 code. I have replaced the 2 valves coming off the canaster, reset the computer but the light returns. I have replaced the vac hoses from the canaster to the valves to the intake still the light is on. I do have a fuel leak if I "over fill" the tank. I will drop the tank this week end to see where the leak is...could that cause the 1443 code? Thoughts?

Mike

Old 02-07-2008, 11:01 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,294 Posts
Don't overfill your tank. They say not to top off at all, I still round it up a bit, but if you fill up to the point where you get gas in the evap system, you will get the codes. It may clear itself as it has a purge system etc, but then it may not. It's a charcoal filter deal that's meant to control the evaporation of gas and cycle it into the engine. As indicated in previous posts, check for gas fumes, esp in the engine compartment. Fumes there will wreck your day if they ignite.

Good luck.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:15 AM
alwazonedge
New User
evap system purge control valve malfunction

hey guys, first post here.
1999 ranger 3.0 prerunner kickin 285 ponies with extensive upgrades, and still had this problem.
to answer some of the questions in aim to help, no, topping off will not send the code IF your canister is in good condition, and no you dont have to buy the rebuild kit if you have hoses, gasket material and some mechanical knowhow.
when we go to a fuel cell in our race trucks, two of which are this exact drivetrain, one manual and one auto, we always throw this code. a big problem in the design is in fact the gas cap. while you must maintain a venting cap to pass smog it is smart to update to a screw in cap, not the silly 1/6th turn clicker that comes stock, and for those of you leaking from filling up all the way check the seal around your return and vent lines, most likely thats the cause as the system is supposed to be a confined system pending the angle of the vehicle, sorry but old vented caps and line purge at angle, part of wheelin.
as for the system itself, there is a control valve located in front of the master cylinder on the inner fender well that can be rebuilt and serviced with a can of carb cleaner, rag and careful hands, breaking the little guy sucks though because it aint cheap.
when servicing the can itself, take it out. trying to do it on the truck is a lost cause and not fun when under the rig, even on a lift.
when cleaning the can do NOT use an oil based clear OR a synthetic. as silly as this sounds the film can actually throw the electronic switch off.
the biggest solution weve had on our two rigs is to switch these lines on the entire system to goodyear fuel line, good stuff. its pricy buit the problem does disapear once the process is complete.
and for those of you wanting the problem to go away with a battery disconect or reset, not gonna happen. the cade will remain in the computer for all rangers newer than 97 until cleared and the problem will persist after 5 turns of the key, moreover 5 warm ups.
last but not least, DO NOT PAY FORD, we did this after getting fed up with it the first couple of tries and the reality is that the mechanics generally dont see this very often so more times than not they replace the whole system excluding the hoses, charge for the scan and install, then charge again when the hoses are the decided problem when generally they are not alone.
wasted close to 700 bucks havin them do it and another 80 on a smog only to have the problem solved by some patience and diligent time under the rig.
biggest tip i can give is to be slow with it. we all know by now the wiring and electronic issues with these little rigs, unfortunately short of rewiring the truck or having a buddy blow it up were stuck chasing issues.
one thing i would recomend, check the recall list for your truck before you try to fix it. the 3.0 from 98 up had a fuel and evap system recall that warranted the free replacement of many parts and occasionally a rebuild due to faulty seal and pressure fittings that more often than not had ford redoing the whole system for free. check that first and good luck!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Bigwooo
New User
Originally Posted by Lynch02
I have a 97 3.0 4x4 5spd. I am also getting the 1443 code. I am going to order the part numbers shown in the previous post for a 3.0 but I was wondering if I need or should get both F67Z-14289-CA and F67Z-14289-DA. When I look these part numbers up they both come up as WIR ASY-D/PNL ENG GA. I just need to know if I need to get both of these or just one or the other (as well as F57Z-9C987-CA).

Thanks for the help
Bump,

I too would like to ask the same question. Anyone know the answer? Thanks.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:38 AM
kdwyer
New User
Does anyone know the part number for Canister Purge Solenoid/Flow sensor assembly? My truck is a 1997, 2.3L, 2wd. However, I had the engine replaced by one of those engine exchange places. I believe it may be a 1996 model engine? Any way I can verify from engine block or other identifying marks on engine? Where would I look to verify. Thanks for all the help.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Bikeman982
New User
Nearest I can tell from these posts the part number is F57Z-9C987-AB.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:45 PM
chindi
New User
Hi guys, I'm new here. Just got a '97 Ranger 4.0 V6 that had the CEL lit. I read the code and it was P1443. I found this thread here so went to buy the purge solenoid/flow sensor kit. The Ford part number is F57Z-9C987-BA and was quoted a price of $253 (Canada) at a Ford dealer. Knowing that this model Ford is the same as the Mazda B4000, I found the identical part at a Mazda dealer for $153. The Mazda part number is ZZM2-13-969. In fact the box that this kit came in had the smaller Mazda sticker placed over top of a larger Ford sticker that had the F57Z-9C987-BA part number visible! I changed the part without problems and cleared the code.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:39 PM
powelallan
New User
I too have the same problem but I can't find the canister,my truck is a 97 ranger ,made in canada ,can anybody tell me where it is on this truck or send a photo of it so I can find it myself.
Thanks

Old 08-06-2010, 08:14 PM
chindi
New User
The canister is located on the left side front fender wall. The purge solenoid and flow sensor are embedded in the rubber tubing that goes from the canister to the engine. Aorry I don't have a photo of this.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:35 PM
powelallan
New User
Thanks a lot I wondered if that was the part after following the hoses I guessed but thanks to you I am sure that is the problem,Thanks again.
Alan

Old 08-15-2010, 09:51 AM
powelallan
New User
My problem is the same code 1443 ,it only appears when the gas tank is below 3/4 full,when the gas tank is full the check engine light is not on,any ideas?

Quick Reply: evaporative emission control system control valve