Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PowerTrax No-Slip locker installed!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 01:34 PM
paulg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One week ago this last weekend I installed a PowerTrax No-Slip locker on my 94' Ford F150. Installations was simple and straight forward. Here is what I think of it:
Smooth on operation, except when taking a very sharp corner and under heavy throttle.

Occasionally I will get a "glunk" when I take off from a dead stop, if I just came around a turn.

Backing up and turning will get some clicking and jerkiness from the back wheels.

Doing a sharp slalom at any speed will get the locker to complain. To be expected as either side has to engage and then disengage. Something I won't do again as this kind of treatment might kill a locker.

The driver's side engages and disengages easier than the passenger side, why I don't know. I am however still within the break in window of 100 miles.

Traction is really and I mean really good. Just yesterday in fact a friend and I did some 4x4'n and 2x4'n and I was able to keep up with my friend's 4x4 Toy truck. He even got stuck in a few places where I had some problem going through, but I got through, actually had to pull him out of deep sand! Of course he may have gotten stuck because of bad driving.

Also did some extreme uphill climbs that my friend's 4x4 toy couldn't do! Anyway it's doing rather well.

My truck does better offroad than onroad. Due to the locker pavement driving is a little rough, but I also have a short wheelbase and from what I have heard lockers feel rough on a SWB vehicle.

This locker is good, but not as smooth as PowerTrax claims it to be. This is my opinion.

1994 Ford F150
300-6
Highly Modified and more to come!

1994 Ford F150
300-6

Old 04-23-2001, 07:04 PM
markus
Senior User

Paul thanks for the honest review!!!!!!

I am considering getting one of the No-Slips and found your review quite interesting. I'd wanna put it in my daily driver, a 95 F150 4x4 SuperCab, Shortbed. Anyways it gave me some food for thought since I'm not sure a little extra traction for the wintertime and the occasional offroad will be worth the roughness experienced the rest of the time, especially when considering the price of a locker. Thanks.

Mark

Old 04-25-2001, 11:33 AM
shami02
Senior User

PaulG or anyone else that knows...

I have been looking for a locker to add to my duallys 4.10 rear... Having all of that rubber really dosent help if the tires on the hard surface just sit there while the other two spin... Why limited slip rears were put into trucks I just do not understand... Anyway for my questions.... How much did the locker set up back? What gears does your 150 have? Did you loose any mileage? If you didnt have the locker, knowing what you do now would you buy this one, again? Did you need any special tools? Did you do the modification in your driveway or do you have a shop with a lift and air tools ect.? OK I'll quit now but, If I forgot anything important let me know Please?

Mike
95 F350 Dually

Old 04-25-2001, 12:07 PM
paulg
Senior User

Total for the PowerTrax No-Slip for MY truck cost me $397 including s/h. I bought mine from West Coast Differentials, their website is www.differentials.com. They were the cheapest I could find. The gearing for my truck is 4.10. I didn't loose any gas mileage. Having a locker on a SWB truck is kind of rough on the street. If I take it easy on the gas pedal and don't go hog wild with power, the locker operates smoothly. Like I stated in my previous post occasionally I will feel a 'glunk' when I turn a sharp corner. If I coast through or operate under low power while turning a sharp corner I don't feel anything. The inside tire on a sharp turn tends to 'scrub' or 'chirp' on pavement. If I know what I know now I would still get it. Street driving is a little rough, but this could change on a larger and LWB truck.

The only tools I needed was a socket wrench, 1/2" socket, 3 quarts of 90W oil, and silicon gasket, jack, and two HD jack stands. I did this installation in the parking lot of my apartment complex. Total installation time took 30 minutes.

1994 Ford F150
300-6

Old 04-25-2001, 02:21 PM
texas viper
New User

Paul,

About 1 1/2 years ago, I bought a 1995 F350, crew cab, long bed, power stroke for general use and camping 1-2 times per month on average. I thought I had bought a 2X4 but as it turns out it's a 1X4. The people that I bought the truck from purposely left off the limited-slip option. They now tell me they did that because it was one more thing to go wrong. Here's the question: Should I add limited slip or a Detroit Locker? By the way, is the PowerTrax the same as a Detroit Locker? I'm only in true off road conditions occasionally and I realize neither option will get me out of serious mud but which way is the better way to go to get some help? I'm also considering a portable winch set up that could be installed in a 2" receiver front or rear.

Thanks for your opinion,

Texas Viper

Old 04-25-2001, 03:01 PM
shami02
Senior User

Hello Viper,
I cant believe that someone ordered a single wheel drive truck... But with limited slip working like it does, it may not be that much worse.

I have the removable winch which attaches to my hitch receiver and I love it! But getting it out of the box and hooking it up... Then pulling the cable and doing the winching... Then putting it all away. Really is a pain if all I needed to do was put it in low and hit the gas.. hummmm

That locker is looking better and better. $400.00 + an hour of time + some hand tools + gear grease = no more slip and slide going up the drive in the winter. It sounds like a working formula to me. Anyone else have an opinion on manufacturers or brands or types of lockers? Air spring loaded ect.?

Mike
95 F350 Dually

Old 04-25-2001, 04:00 PM
paulg
Senior User

Personally I think you should add the locker! Usually limited slips cost marginally less, but lockers give you more traction. There is a big difference, in construction and monetary value, between the PowerTrax No-Slip(PNS) and a Detroit Locker(DL). A DL is a full carrier replacement locker. A PNS replaces the spider gears inside the stock carrier. In no way can a PNS compare to a DL in terms of strenght, durability, and ruggedness. Price for a DL is also significantly higher than a PNS. However even with 4.10s my truck only puts 5,000lbs of torque to the rear wheels, which is less than the rated strength of the PNS (10,500lbs). You would be surprised what a locker can do for you when it comes to traction. Basically the clutch will slip before the locker slips. Also a DL has a haaaarsher operation than a PSN by far. Anyway its upto what you want but for the everyday driver a PSN will do just fine. Hell the PSN I installed does pretty good. Far better than a limited slip!!!!!

Winches are a good thing to have also!!

1994 Ford F150
300-6

Old 04-25-2001, 04:26 PM
texas viper
New User

Mike,

I hear what you're saying on the winch. Are you saying you have carnal knowledge about Detroit Lockers? Will they be a good/better choice for my F350, single axle, crew cab, long bed? The reason I mention the details of my truck is that I gather the lockers may work better on longer vehicles.

Viper

Old 04-25-2001, 04:41 PM
texas viper
New User

Paul,

Thanks for your reply. For some reason I ended up reading Mike's reply first and ask him about Detroit Lockers. After reading your reply, I have a much better handle on the difference between a PowerTrax NO-slip and the Detroit Locker. I must say I have been confused about what a limited-slip's limitations would be when it comes to getting unstuck or sliding around. From what you and the name "NO-slip" implies, I think I'm getting a much better idea of what to do.

Thanks again,

Viper

Old 05-12-2001, 05:16 PM
russs
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also put a NoSlip in my truck (92 F150, 2wd, short bed, extended cab) about 2 months ago.

Pretty much the same characteristics described above. When the road is wet from rain (or when there is dirt or sand scattered on the pavement), the inside rear tire chirping is fairly evident while accelerating from a stop while turning sharply (like when pulling away from a stop sign). I've learned to get the truck moving slightly forward before turning the wheels in order to minimize the chirping.

All in all, I'm satisfied with it, but it certainly isn't transparent.

By the way, I purchased mine from Central 4x4 for about $365.

Russ

Old 09-02-2001, 05:36 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts

I do not like that unit at all. I had one and within less than a year it went out. I bought an Auburn limited slip diff and it is much better and smoother. It works just as good as the locker did new.

Old 09-04-2001, 10:35 AM
texas viper
New User

Texas Guy,

That's exactly why I have procrastinated so long before putting some type of locker on my truck. My wife already thinks I'm nuts for tearing into something that's not broken and if I spent money on a No-slip only to add a towing bill from God knows where she would never let me hear the end of it. Why did you choose an Auburn limited slip instead of Ford parts? I guess you saw from my original post that my truck only has one wheel drive. What did you have originally? Thanks for taking the time to post your comment because I was getting even closer to purchasing the Power Trax No-slip.

Texas Viper

Old 09-04-2001, 04:48 PM
jay_s5
Junior User

I was interested to hear about the benefits of the Auburn over the Power Trax, too, so I looked around a bit and found this article:

http://www.off-road.com/dodge/ramcharger/prodrev/Auburn.htm

There is also some useful--but biased--info at Auburn's site:

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/products/differentials/

TruckWorldOnline has a pretty good article discussing the pros and cons of lockers and limited slips with info on the Auburn:

http://www.truckworld.com/How-To-Tech/Lockers-Differentials/4x4Lockers-Diffs.html

From all this, it sounds like the Auburn is the way to go if you do mainly on-the-road driving with only occasional off-roading (smoother ride, less understeer, less tire wear), and the Power Trax is better if you do a lot of off-roading (better traction).

Old 09-05-2001, 06:33 AM
shami02
Senior User

I have to say I am personally still leaning toward the PowerTrax No-Slip... I still have a few more questions to be answered though... Ayone know anything about the PowerTrax Command Locker? I assume it is about the same as the No-Slip only in a manual version... I know it is more costly than the No-Slip, but it maight provide the best of both worlds... Open Diff on the street and a locked one in low traction conditiond... Any opinions? Second, How much does the Auburn unit cost, I hear it is basically like a bic lighter (disposible), that could get expensive if you drive big miles... Which I do.. Opinions or facts wanted and read with great interest.. Thankx guys for all of the info so far...

Have a great day!
Mike
95 F-350 Extended Cab Dually 460/E4OD
Too much done to list here but I'll be glad to share if you ask me!

Old 09-05-2001, 09:23 AM
paulg
Senior User

Well I eventually pulled out the Power Trax locker I installed. The damn thing started to act funny around 100 miles. Couldn't decide when it wanted to engage and disengage. Got my money back and now I'm back to open diff.

1994 Ford F150
300-6

Quick Reply: PowerTrax No-Slip locker installed!!!!!!!!