Topper Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 08:27 PM
Hawkdriver
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Topper Repair

Well, I decided to post this in this forum because it involves fiberglass bodywork.

I was given a Leer fibergalss topper to put on my 78 F150. The thing needs some TLC. It just the baseboards that need help. I think its been sitting on the wet ground for a lone while.

The baseboards of the topper, the portion that mates with the top of the truck bed is just all gone to rot. But not totally.
The wood that is inside the fiberglass on the baseboard is rotten and just falling out of the holes in the fibergalss.
Even on the right side baseboard of the topper there is a split that goes from rear to front of the topper along the baseboard.
Other than that the topper is in great shape.

I'm thinking I can remove all of the old wood and replace it with some new boards.
Then use some type of fiberglass patching material to repair the fiberglass.
My question is: What type of fiberglass patching material should I use to recreate and patch the existing fiberglass around the wood?

Woven patch/paste material or some type of paste with shavings in it?

Any input would be great. Thanks

Old 09-16-2003, 07:47 PM
GeneStoner
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Topper Repair

I think that the woven glass and resin is stronger than the paste itself. If I remember correctly, the paste is used to do small patching where more integrity than Bondo is needed, but is not in and of itself like the woven stuff.

Awhile back, I heavily modified an old GemTop canopy using fiberglass and a frameless rear hatch from Leer. It turned out fantastic but was a TON of work. With the price of toppers these days, fixing the good looking Leer is cool provided it isn't too far gone...