1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

tilt nose update

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 09:59 AM
jwcnj45
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tilt nose update

I finally got around to hooking up my camera to my computer ( it's only taken me about a year to get to it ) and I updated my gallery for the installation of the tilt glass front end. Some of you may be interested in how it was done and I hope it may help others in solving their own problems that occur with this type of modification. The nose now fits good and the body lines and gaps are also good. The latch system works well and it securely latches the front end. The release is in the cab and is cable actuated. Now it's on to another area of this never ending project.

Old 09-14-2003, 11:35 PM
41Clay
Elder User
tilt nose update

Are the grooves on the running boards to secure the bottom of the fender to keep it from flapping in the wind? I'm curious as to how people keep the thing from scratching the paint job when opening the hood and driving down the road.

Clayton

Old 09-15-2003, 04:29 PM
jwcnj45
Senior User
tilt nose update

Yes the grooves locate the fenders and help keep them in place. I am going to secure the lower fenders to the running boards with some pins similar to what you would use for a hood also.

Old 09-19-2003, 02:45 PM
uk1050
Elder User
tilt nose update

what kind of latch did you use and how did you do it. please help

Old 09-19-2003, 03:52 PM
DJ Rosa
Senior User
tilt nose update

Hey awsome pictures.Man they say so much about your project.keep us updated.DJ

Old 09-19-2003, 04:12 PM
jwcnj45
Senior User
tilt nose update

I got my latches from Rocky Hinge Co. out of Ohio. Website www.rockyhinge.com. Nice people to deal with, by the way. The release cable was taken from a Honda and simply shortened. A rod connects the two latchesand is adjustable. The adjusters were made from small aluminum cable clamps that are usually crimped to braided cables. In my case I bought 1/8 rod and clamps from Home Depot then cut the rod to length, and drilled and tapped the clamps for set screws,also bought at Home Depot. The clamps were set to release both latches at the same time when the cable is pulled. The pins were just bolted to the support that I glassed into the front end. A little careful measuring and fitting will determine the location of the latches and pins.

Old 09-19-2003, 04:48 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts
tilt nose update

Jim,
very nice job... I had the same fit problem with a 53 hood... I noticed that your hood and fenders are seperated ??? you do that or do the F-1s come that way ??? I also like your latch answer...but the 53 firewall is recessed more than that.

Guess I could work something else out similar to that... Mine is on the back burner right now... actually it's on a rolling cart on its nose in the garage.....

why don't you contact Fairlane and ask if they want to buy their mold... theirs sure dont work !!!

later John

Old 09-19-2003, 05:34 PM
jwcnj45
Senior User
tilt nose update

I am sure that the latches could be spaced out from the firewall by fabricating some sheetmetal boxes if necessary. The basic shape of the Fairlane front end remained the same. My biggest problems were the arch of the hood across the cowl,left rear portion length of the fender andside fit of hood area on the left side. I had to section about 3/4" off the left rear section of the fender and put cuts along the left hood sides to bring it in closer to the cowl. This was in addition to removing the Fairlane brace under the hood and fabricating my own. My fit problems were simalar to the ones encountered by John on his 53. We have each solved the fit problem a little differently for our unique situations but I think it demonstates some of the problems encountered when using this type of front end. For what one of these front ends cost you would expect a perfect fit. I still like the tilt front end idea but would probably think twice before buying another from this company. I have spent many hours getting the fit right on this particular front end. Any of you other guys out there using these front ends? If so did you encounter these type of fit problems or were you satisfied with the fit as supplied from the company?