Timing chain and water pump questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 08:25 PM
murraydav
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came on this board last weak asking about help with a 460 leaking coolant. Got the help I needed and have just finished my repair. There seem to be several people asking about timing chains. Here's my first hand and very fresh news, being that I have just finished cleaning up.

WOW my 460 now runs like a rocket. I just can't help feeling like a kid. I mean I'm spinning the tires every time I leave a stop sign. This is an incredible difference. I bought my 77 150 off my dad about 10 years ago. It is bogged down with a 2.75 rear ratio. Always very very slow off the line, but would pull like a frieght train all the way to 90. Last weekend after a pressure wash, coolant was leaking from behind the timing case. Well if you have to go as far as a new timing cover you would be plain nuts not to change the water pump and the timing chain and gears. Several of the old pros on this page convinced me to go with pre 1971 gears. Thanks a million guys. Too bad I and Dad waited 27 years to do this simple change.

What I learned
The case is Aluminium and very prone to rotting. Therefore,do not change your gearset without buying a new cover.

Get some help to start the cover install. My son (20) was on top aligning the two 1/2 inch bolt holes with an awl, while I started the bolts while laying on the ground. Also very much needed my son's help to re-install the fuel pump. The preload on the pump arm will kill ya it you try it alone.

Don't even think of replacing the gears without putting on a new water pump. Why go through most of the pain again a year from now when a pump is about 25 bucks.

For kjkozak2 The plate behind the water pump is being held on simply by the gasket tack that was used at the factory. Pry it off with a wide blade chizel. Clean the plate very well both sides. I used a propane torch to help remove the cruddy gasket. The timing cover/gasket/plate/gasket/pump all stack together like a club sandwich. Be careful to keep probing the holes with a pointy screwdriver to keep the gaskets lined up.

I also learned that there is a whole lot of stuff bolted to a 460 with A/C. Take some digital photos before you start so you can remember where everything goes.

And the biggest lesson was???? Was it worth about 15 hours of backyard work???? You bet I'm Very Very Happy with the new found power.

Thanks to all!!!!!

Old 09-14-2003, 12:44 AM
ssap108
Junior User

i also found out about leaking water pump gaskets and rotten timing covers on 460 motors last week, glad i found out before i got stuck some where... jeese aint that fun stuff

Old 09-14-2003, 02:07 AM
Superdave
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

murraydav

Glad to hear it all worked out for you.

Old 09-15-2003, 03:13 PM
Mike Vannatter
New User

I am rebuilding a c0ve 429 and am looking for a replacement plate behind the water pump, between the pump and the timing cover. Can anyone tell me where I might locate a new plate. I have everything else ready to go, new pump, gaskets, bolts, etc. Just need the plate...
Thanks,
Mike

Old 09-15-2003, 07:00 PM
murraydav
Senior User

Don't know about NEW. Why not from a wrecker? If it's not rotten through, you never see it anyways? I do know the plate did not come with the one I bought last week.

Old 09-15-2003, 10:52 PM
ssap108
Junior User

i bought my water pump plate at ford for $20

Old 09-17-2003, 09:53 AM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

murraydav,

Thanks for the update and the advice.

I have everything removed, cleaned, painted and ready to go back on. I did get the water pump apart and you were right about the gasket tack. But everything on the inside is in tip-top shape including the bearings & seals, so I'm going to reuse it.

I cleaned and polished the entire alum. timing cover and only noticed one spot where it's rotted. It's on the inside and will have no bearing on it's performance.

I have a spare pump and timing cover that I'm going to clean up and compare to the ones I'm using. I'll use whichever is in better shape.

Now I just have to order my timing set and I'll be back in business.

Thanks again!

Kevin K.

P.S. Mike Vannatter, I sent you an e-mail.