1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Front Supension for 58 F100

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 12:22 AM
Backroads_Jack
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can any one recommend how to update my the front supension. Do I need to use a Mustang II fron end or What? I am looking at an upgrade but don't know which way to go. I am not woorried about keeping orginal, I just want a nice smooth ride. What is my options?

And what is a good source to find them?

Thanks

Old 09-13-2003, 01:43 AM
BobJonesSpecial
Senior User

Get a copy of Classis Trucks magazine. www.Classictrucksweb.com

-Link fixed by Admin-

There are many diferent advertisers in there every month that sell well engineered and proven front end conversions for your pickup.

I have a Gibbon conversion crossmember in my pickup and love it!

If they are not in the magazine call information for Gibbon Reproductions in Gibbon Nebraska.

The Mustang conversion is very popular and available, but in my opinion, the Mustang is not nearly as heavy a vehicle as your '58 F-100, nor as top-heavy as your F-100. Wouldn't it make more sense to adapt a suspension from a vehicle of comparable weight?

Street Rodder magazine, which can be found at almost every newsstand is an excellent source of advertisers. They might not show '58 F-100 applications in their ad in that mag, but they hav them, or know where to recomend.

MY ADVICE; GO WITH SOMETHING ENGINEERED. DON'T TRY TO DO THE WHOLE THING YOURSELF.

Jim McNaul
BobJonesSpecial

Old 09-13-2003, 10:15 AM
darkman
Posting Guru

Go with the Mus II. I don't want to be controversial but the Mus II isn't as light as what people think especially on the front end which was nose heavy and the 57 - 60 truck isn't as heavy as what people think. John Niolon is the resident expert IMHO and he had a shall we say popular front end swap in his and then cut it out to put the Mus II in. His first one was suitable but he still chose to swap it out. It gave him more clearance and eye candy. I'm not saying that the Mus II is perfect but it is my choice and the one I will install. I currently have my frame rails boxed and should get the kit in Jan. I also believe that the parts will be available and affordable for the Mus II long after I'm dead and gone. A good example is the poly bushing kits. I don't know if I can say that about some of the others.

Find John's tech articles on this site and check it out. You can see my beginings in my gallery. I'm doing a 57 F100 with the 312 automatic. Not a new auto but the old cast iron one. I did a lot of research to verify that I would not have a weight problem on the front.

Old 09-13-2003, 11:23 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jack,

You will find many opinioins, including Jim's and Charles', when you ask about front end suspension upgrades/rebuilds.

You've stated what you want - which is by far the most important step. You are 50% of the way there, since knowing what you want allows you to judge the suitability of the various options.

The next step requires time and effort - there is simply no way around it if you want to make an informed decision. Search the forum for IFS, Mustang II, Mus II, Volare, Cordoba, Dakota, Jaguar, Corvette, suspension, swap, and similar words. You will find at least a dozen threads from just the past few months. Many of these threads have serious and informative discussions of the various options. Take a deep breath, sit in a comfy chair, and read 'em all until you understand what's in them.

The third step is to take what you learned and ask whatever remaining specific questions you have on the board. You are guaranteed to get responses on this subject, trust me.

If you do your homework (as laid out above), this can be a project that makes you feel you are making good decisions and are comfortable with the plan and results. That's the foundation of any truly satisfying restoration/modification of these trucks. The projects that turn into horror-fests are almost always the ones where you try to shoot-from-the-hip, without learning all there is to learn in advance.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Old 10-05-2003, 05:03 PM
Mark C. Richardson
New User
Front end ?

I am in the same boat. I have been doing a lot of reserch on the same thing. I recomend doing a lot of the same. Check out www.fatmanfabrications.com they build custom everything, best I have found so far, also check Dennis Carpenter

Check out Rich's 61 thread, should be 62

Mark C. Richardson

Old 01-01-2009, 08:37 AM
kustomchief
New User
I have a FatMan Ultra Low Kit. The truck is not done but it is what I chose. The kiust with drop spindles is lowering the truck a ton and there ride is supposed to be amazing. I know this really does not help. The problem I have with it is that I have to find a rear for the car that matches the small Ford bolt pattern on the rotors. I do not mind if it is from a car because I am doing a flip kit set up anyway. It is just another thing to think about. Any ideas?

Old 01-01-2009, 10:16 AM
2many56s
Senior User
KustomChief, the front is 5x4.5 bolt pattern, so I'd recommend the ford explorer rear end swap. It will have the same bolt pattern, good ratios, some if not all have disc brakes. Do a search on this forum under explorer swap and there's tons of good info.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:41 AM
52 F3
Elder User
There are several guys using the front suspension from a 2003-2007 Crown Vic under trucks that have the same frame width as your '58.
I am going to do it on a '57 but haven't gotten started yet. It looks like a very easy and economical swap.
Check out the threads below.
It looks pretty straight forward and almost a bolt in.
These are on later trucks but with the same frame width.
The hub to hub is wider requireing proper backspacing on the wheels to keep the right track width but with the right wheels makes a nice suspension.
Just another possibility to look at.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ject-pics.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...o-67-f100.html

Old 01-01-2009, 12:55 PM
klr
Cross-Country
I am building a '57 I went with no limmit engineering I made the link bars for the rear which is a 9" rearend she will ride real low as 57-60 have factory body drop built in good luck on your build