Everyone, check to see if your passenger carpet is wet

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 10:06 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone, check to see if your passenger carpet is wet

Hey everyone,

The other day I noticed on my brand new F150 4.2, that the passenger side carpet was damp. I pulled up some of the carpet and discovered it was soaked!

After proding around a bit, I found that the air conditioning unit is under the passenger dashboard and the drain pan for the condensation is right under the glove box. Now there is a tube that runs from the drain pan down and through the fire wall and exits into the engine compartment.

I started my truck with the AC on and crawled under to have a look. Now this is dumb. The tube sticks out about 1 inch from the fire wall allowing the water to drain onto the ground. The problem is that the 1 inch is NOT long enough and the water trickles down the underside of the tube and goes back into your cab soaking the carpet with stinky water.

It was an easy fix though. I took about 2 inches of clear fish tank tubing, just big enough to fit around the A/C tube (I just happened to have the exact size, I got lucky there), cut the end at a pointy slant and bent the tube so it was slightly curved downward. Then I clamped it over the existing tube coming out of my firewall.

This worked instantly and the water spilled plenty far from my fire wall and did not trickle back.

So if anyone has the wet carpet, that's how you fix it. You have to lift up your floor mats and really feel behind the carpet to see it it's getting wet.

Let me know how many people find out they have this problem.

Tom

Old 09-30-2003, 11:31 PM
KarlnTx
Freshman User
Tom, ther is an mirror entry in the '97-03 F150 topic section.
Karl

Old 10-01-2003, 12:58 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
hhmm...maybe that is why i have water on my rubber floors? especially after long drives. Thanks for the info.