Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Tank Recall? Fuel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 09:12 PM
redraiderscott
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that Ford has a recall on trucks with dual tanks. Something to do with a fuel problem. I was hoping that someone could explain the actual problem. I think my truck 93 F-150 might have had this problem a few months ago which cost me $915. I was driving home from school in Texas to California and my truck was giving me problems. After about 30 minutes of driving the truck seemed to run out of gas, but there was plenty of gas in both tanks. There was only about 10 lbs of fuel pressure when this happened. I could keep the truck going, but had to keep the pedal to the floor. The shop said that both fuel pumps were bad and they replaced them. I was wondering if these problems deal with the recall. At the time I really had no choice to pay them beacuse I was in the middle of New Mexico with no tools. Will Ford reimburse this cost if this is the problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-14-2001, 03:07 AM
redraiderscott
New User

How about some help fellas? It seems I'm the only one without any replies? I just registered on this site and posted some questions about a recall, axles, and mirrors. No replies on any of these? Throw me a bone, please!

Old 08-14-2001, 04:45 AM
AlM
Posting Guru

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 14-Aug-01 AT 05:50 AM (EST)[/font][p]NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 00V424000
Component: FUEL:FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY
Manufacturer: FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Potential Number of Units Affected: 275000

Vehicle Description: Light duty trucks and cab chassis equipped with gasoline engines and dual fuel tanks. The carbon steel fuel pressure regulator in the fuel system can wear out during the life of the vehicle. If the fuel pressure regulator malfunctions, it can cause high fuel system pressure, which damages the fuel pump check valve. This allows fuel to be transferred from one tank to the other, possibly overfilling the non-operating tank, resulting in fuel overflow past the filler cap.

Fuel leakage in the presence of an ignition source could result in a vehicle fire.

Dealers will have a stainless steel fuel pressure regulator installed. Owner notification began July 9, 2001. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Ford at 1-866-436-7332. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236). (See previous NHTSA recall 93V-125/Ford recall 93S68

and:

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 01I008000
Component: FUEL:FUEL SYSTEMS
Manufacturer: FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Potential Number of Units Affected:

Year: 1993
Make: FORD TRUCK
Model: F150
Manufactured From: To:
Year of Recall: '01
Type of Report: Tire
Summary:
This is not a safety defect in accordance with the Safety Act. However, it is deemed a safety improvement campaign by the agency.

Vehicle Description: 1990-1993 Ford F-Series vehicles equipped with dual fuel tanks and 4.9, 5.0,5.8, or 7.5 liter gasoline fueled engines. Some vehicles can experience a cross tank fuel flow condition due to a damaged check valve in the fuel pump/sender assembly. Fuel may be supplied from one tank and some or all of the unused fuel may be returned to the other tank.

Should this occur, the capacity of the receiving tank may be exceeded and fuel may overflow from the filler cap.

Ford is extending the warranty for potential fuel cross-flow to 12 years of service or 150,000 miles from the vehicle's warranty start date, whichever occurs first. This cover will automatically transfer to subsequent owners at no charge. If a vehicle already has more than 150,000 miles, this coverage will last until December 31, 2001. If the vehicle is experiencing a fuel cross-flow condition, dealers will repair the condition free of charge. Ford has decided to conduct an Extended Coverage Program to extend the warranty coverage for potential fuel cross flow problems. Owners can contact Ford at 1-866-436-7332, concerning this program.

source is:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/mmy.cfm

Old 10-29-2001, 04:54 PM
paulieman
New User

I have a 86 f-150 EFI and this problem burned out my catalytic converter, will ford reimberse me?

Old 10-29-2001, 05:53 PM
bb79ranch
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 07-17-2010, 10:34 PM
nmgonzo
Junior User
Is it possible that gas from the front tank leaked to the rear tank somehow?

I have the suspicion that is actually happening to my new to me 1988 f250 5.8 2wd.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:24 AM
StealthWyvern
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nmgonzo
Is it possible that gas from the front tank leaked to the rear tank somehow?

I have the suspicion that is actually happening to my new to me 1988 f250 5.8 2wd.

yes...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/2...re-issues.html

Old 07-18-2010, 07:39 AM
nmgonzo
Junior User
I've read the whole thread.

Off I go to test everything *shrugs*

Old 10-21-2015, 05:03 PM
johnquarello
New User
1996 Ford F250 Duel Tank problem

My 1996 F250 has a fuel overflow problem. My front in tank fuel pump went out so I replaced it with a Napa part. Since then my rear tank is passing the unsued fuel into the front tank causing an overflow. I'm told that Ford has a part that fixes that problem. I need the part number if someone has it. I'm told that the part connects between the return line and the tank with quick connects and that one is required on each tank. Any help would be appreciated. The last eight of my vin is TEB72874. My engine is a 5.8l and the rear tank is 18 gallons. Not sure about the front tank. It is an EFI engine and the whole assembly is in the tank. There is no separate unit outside the tank that regulates the flow.

Thanks

Old 10-21-2015, 05:24 PM
88XLTLariat
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This link might help:https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...low-issue.html. Looks like you need the FDM p/n.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:25 PM
johnquarello
New User
How did it go? did it fix the problem. If so do you know the part number?

Old 10-21-2015, 09:16 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Did you get an entire new FDM or just the fuel pump for your front tank? If you got a new FDM it's bad, you need the same thing you just bought, but one that actually works.

If you just bought a new fuel pump, then I think what you need is called a shuttle valve. It seems like it's usually the first part of the FDM to go bad, so I'd never recommend just replacing a fuel pump. You ought to replace the entire FDM. I don't know if you can just buy the valve or if you now need to buy a new FDM with a new fuel pump.

And you don't need to worry about the recall. Fourteen years ago, when this thread was started, that was a Band-Aid that Ford used to try to make the design a little more robust. But you just need a good FDM.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:28 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by johnquarello
I'm told that Ford has a part that fixes that problem. I need the part number if someone has it. I'm told that the part connects between the return line and the tank with quick connects and that one is required on each tank.
Wrong.
It was a check valve put in the fuel pressure supply line from the fuel tank to the "T" on the fuel lines.

There is no way to put a check valve on the return fuel lines.
If you did the fuel pressure would go to about 95-100psi.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:46 PM
superbrick
New User
1990 F350 Cross Flow Problem

I have a 1990 ford f350 with dual tanks. I can fill front tank and it transfers to reart tank. I have a slight leak in the rear tank so i want to know if i can cut the power to the rear tank to stop the crossflow? If so what is the best way to do that? Pull the electrical connector off of tank or pull a fuse?
Thanks
Sean

Old 05-12-2016, 09:29 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Cutting electrical power won't change anything. Probably the simplest solution is to fix the rear tank. Otherwise you need to do something with the plumbing, not the wiring. I don't know exactly what that would be, but I'd start by looking at the fuel return line to the rear tank and try to figure out how to stop it.

Quick Reply: Dual Tank Recall? Fuel Problem