Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2001, 09:12 PM
New User

redraiderscott is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dual Tank Recall? Fuel Problem

I read that Ford has a recall on trucks with dual tanks. Something to do with a fuel problem. I was hoping that someone could explain the actual problem. I think my truck 93 F-150 might have had this problem a few months ago which cost me $915. I was driving home from school in Texas to California and my truck was giving me problems. After about 30 minutes of driving the truck seemed to run out of gas, but there was plenty of gas in both tanks. There was only about 10 lbs of fuel pressure when this happened. I could keep the truck going, but had to keep the pedal to the floor. The shop said that both fuel pumps were bad and they replaced them. I was wondering if these problems deal with the recall. At the time I really had no choice to pay them beacuse I was in the middle of New Mexico with no tools. Will Ford reimburse this cost if this is the problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2001, 03:07 AM
New User

redraiderscott is starting off with a positive reputation.

How about some help fellas? It seems I'm the only one without any replies? I just registered on this site and posted some questions about a recall, axles, and mirrors. No replies on any of these? Throw me a bone, please!
Old 08-14-2001, 03:24 AM
Senior User

whaynes is starting off with a positive reputation.

The recall is actually a two in one. The first item deals with a fuel pressure regulator. They apparently are swapping in a newer design that will, from what I gather, reduce wear and tear on the fuel pumps.

The second item is an extension of an older recall that was centered on the fuel crossflow problems. They don't spell it out but they do say they will "fix" the problem. I had an earlier thread that one person posted back saying that pumps will not be replaced in this extension recall. He continued to say that they are adding some kind of balbearing check valve to address the problem. I call bull**** but I will see what happens when my turn comes at the dealer here in Canada.

Cheers.

WHaynes

93 F150 4.9L 4x4
4" ProComp StII Lift
BFG 33in 4.10's
Detroit TrueTrac's
Old 08-14-2001, 04:45 AM
Posting Guru

AlM is starting off with a positive reputation.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 14-Aug-01 AT 05:50 AM (EST)[/font][p]NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 00V424000
Component: FUEL:FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY
Manufacturer: FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Potential Number of Units Affected: 275000

Vehicle Description: Light duty trucks and cab chassis equipped with gasoline engines and dual fuel tanks. The carbon steel fuel pressure regulator in the fuel system can wear out during the life of the vehicle. If the fuel pressure regulator malfunctions, it can cause high fuel system pressure, which damages the fuel pump check valve. This allows fuel to be transferred from one tank to the other, possibly overfilling the non-operating tank, resulting in fuel overflow past the filler cap.

Fuel leakage in the presence of an ignition source could result in a vehicle fire.

Dealers will have a stainless steel fuel pressure regulator installed. Owner notification began July 9, 2001. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Ford at 1-866-436-7332. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236). (See previous NHTSA recall 93V-125/Ford recall 93S68

and:

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 01I008000
Component: FUEL:FUEL SYSTEMS
Manufacturer: FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Potential Number of Units Affected:

Year: 1993
Make: FORD TRUCK
Model: F150
Manufactured From: To:
Year of Recall: '01
Type of Report: Tire
Summary:
This is not a safety defect in accordance with the Safety Act. However, it is deemed a safety improvement campaign by the agency.

Vehicle Description: 1990-1993 Ford F-Series vehicles equipped with dual fuel tanks and 4.9, 5.0,5.8, or 7.5 liter gasoline fueled engines. Some vehicles can experience a cross tank fuel flow condition due to a damaged check valve in the fuel pump/sender assembly. Fuel may be supplied from one tank and some or all of the unused fuel may be returned to the other tank.

Should this occur, the capacity of the receiving tank may be exceeded and fuel may overflow from the filler cap.

Ford is extending the warranty for potential fuel cross-flow to 12 years of service or 150,000 miles from the vehicle's warranty start date, whichever occurs first. This cover will automatically transfer to subsequent owners at no charge. If a vehicle already has more than 150,000 miles, this coverage will last until December 31, 2001. If the vehicle is experiencing a fuel cross-flow condition, dealers will repair the condition free of charge. Ford has decided to conduct an Extended Coverage Program to extend the warranty coverage for potential fuel cross flow problems. Owners can contact Ford at 1-866-436-7332, concerning this program.

source is:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/mmy.cfm

Old 10-29-2001, 04:54 PM
New User

paulieman is starting off with a positive reputation.

I have a 86 f-150 EFI and this problem burned out my catalytic converter, will ford reimberse me?
Old 10-29-2001, 05:53 PM
Senior User

bb79ranch is starting off with a positive reputation.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Junior User

nmgonzo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is it possible that gas from the front tank leaked to the rear tank somehow?

I have the suspicion that is actually happening to my new to me 1988 f250 5.8 2wd.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:24 AM
Elder User

StealthWyvern is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmgonzo View Post
Is it possible that gas from the front tank leaked to the rear tank somehow?

I have the suspicion that is actually happening to my new to me 1988 f250 5.8 2wd.

yes...
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/24...re-issues.html

http://stealthwyvern.mybrute.com

http://stealthwyvern.mybrute.com
Old 07-18-2010, 07:39 AM
Junior User

nmgonzo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've read the whole thread.

Off I go to test everything *shrugs*
Old 07-18-2010, 07:39 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1997, 93, dual, f150, f250, ford, fuel, gas, overflow, problem, problems, system, tank, tanks, trucks