1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Lightning Motor In an Expedition Questions!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 03:36 PM
1999XLT
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been searching for info on building a 5.4L motor. I have found ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!! So rather than attempt to build one with no experience building motors I figured I would try another approach.............So now onto my next option..........
Will a Lightning setup fit in an Expy? I am not in any rush I do not need it right now I am just thinking in the future when my current motor goes KAPUT........
Other than the computer, If I got a complete motor, can I just bolt it in? If not what would I need to make this happen???
Does anyone know of anyone who did this or have you ever heard of this being done? I can't be the only person that has thought of trying this!!!
Do they have the same mounting points? Is the height clearance good for the Expedition?
Any Transmission issues I should be aware of?? Planning on a rebuild before I do this.......

Lets here everyones input...BEFORE I START.... I want to know the feasibility of this..........

CAN IT BE DONE!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2003, 03:47 PM
DEEP BLUE
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

> Well I can tell you this, the L uses a super-duty trany not an f-150/expy set up. So with all that increased power/ torque you will, I REPEATE WILL shred you tranny up in your expy.

> Another opton is ford sells crate motors, that might be a more feseable option for you. If you step all the way up to a Lightning motor you will need to swapp the whole powertrain out with it. You are talking buco bucks...

BLUE........

Old 09-11-2003, 04:26 PM
buzzard
Logistics Pro

Don't worry too much about your tranny unless you plan on adding some radical chip to the mix. The L's use 4R100's beefed-up a bit, but there are plenty of guys out there who have added an aftermarket supercharger to their Expy's without building or buying a whole new drivetrain. In fact, I think a stock 4R100 is easily rated to handle the L's HP and torque.

Like Deep Blue stated, you'd most likely be able to find a crate motor from Ford, but there are a couple other suppliers who are probably cheaper. There was a post in the forum not long ago that discussed crate motor options. You could always do a Google search.

Rather than adding a blown engine, you could always have a local engine builder (check references) build you a stout 5.4L long-block (rebuild yours) that you could just drop into the hole.

Old 09-12-2003, 12:59 PM
DEEP BLUE
Freshman User

FOMOCO upgraded there current light-duty tranny for the new 3V 5.4L which is rated @300 hp / 365 ft.lb.tq.
> I am just guessing on the L's # here cause I nor dose anybody i know own one, but I belive it's @380 hp / and probley 450 ft. lb. tq. That is a huge difference in power, I know and engineer here at my work that has a expy with a supercharger in it, but I would almost bet it's still not rated to the L's performance specs.

> I don't know all the ins and outs of it but I know they did more to the L's motor than slap a supercharger on it..

>1999XLT good luck with whatever you do, I am in the process of buying a '03 or '04 expy, just looking around to find the best deal right now. The one I test drove yesterday stickerd for $37,690. The dealership said the would go down to 32,000 that still seems a bit high to me with there end of year model clearence...

Later, BLUE

Old 09-12-2003, 02:52 PM
DFW_03EXPY
New User

You can get the 5.4 Lightning long block for $3695 from Kar Kraft. Then either bolt on a Works or KB blower and you are all set. While the motor should be a direct fit, you will have to come up with an intercooler, intercooler pump, intercooler expansion bottle, and any additional hoses and connectors for the supercharger. IMO, it will be much simpler just to beef up the stock block and bolt on a aftermarket supercharger.

Avoid asking question like "Can it be done". Because most everything can be done as long as you throw enough money/time into it.

Old 09-12-2003, 03:37 PM
1999XLT
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I figure the cost would be offset by the time frame I have in mind.....1-2 years......I figured I would get it one piece at a time...Engine,trans (if necessary),computer, etc.... This would allow me the time and money to make any changes to setup.......I checked out KarKraft and was impressed with their offering......It does need alot of add ons though, since I do not have a Lightning to cannibalize ...........I also checked SHM and thought their prices were alittle steep......Just have to keep checking my options......RESEARCH RESEARCH By the time I make a decision it will be time for new motor...........

Old 09-15-2003, 08:38 PM
18fan
Senior User

I found this while searching on ebay and remembered someone was looking for a lightening motor. Hope it helps.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33615

Old 09-16-2003, 01:22 AM
94Accord
New User

I remembering reading somewhere that the Lightning uses a beefed up version of the tranny found in Ford's Turbo-Diesel trucks/suvs.

Old 11-26-2003, 12:46 PM
itlkick
Senior User
I am almost done installing a Lightning motor in my 98 Navigator - I will fill everyone in when I am done (if anyone is still interested). Lets just say it has been much more involved than I thought. The engine is in now, just hooking up the stuff!

Old 11-26-2003, 02:35 PM
Mi-Te Pakman
Freshman User
engine

Are you aware of all the ins and outs of swapping over? So much work hardly seems worth it. The only way to go that would be cost and time efficient would be to just add a supercharger to your truck. Give it some time and everyone will offer kits I would personally go after the Vortech company, I believe the quality they offer is bar none. "AND" when you decide to sell the truck someday you can remove all your supercharger equipment and sell both the truck and blower easily. Here's what they offer right now.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...0254truck.html

Old 11-26-2003, 04:01 PM
tonum24
Senior User
http://www.procharger.com Here you go!!!!!!! Trucks TV installed this on a 5.4L F150 and it adds a legitimate 60-65% increase in hp. That's 260X1.65=429hp. Why is it the way to go? because it will bolt right on and use your stock ecu. It comes with an intercooler and this is why it puts out so much power. It's what I'll be adding to my 2000 in the coming year. Also, I read somewhere (I'll try and retrieve the info) that our tranny's can take a lot more torque/hp and it should easily be up to snuff. I personally will get some sort of "kit" along with a non stock torque converter to give better performance. I'll also attempt to retrieve the video of the install which I saw last week. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The video is actually on the procharger site----click the multimedia box.

Last edited by tonum24; 11-26-2003 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:40 PM
southprk
Senior User
Any idea about the cost of the procharger kit? It looks really nice and 230x1.65 = 379hp.. that's a lot of HP! I'm guessing in the 5k range just because I saw a kenne belle for $3700ish.

**Edit**

Found it online for $3599 - that seems like a really good price for the benefits

Last edited by southprk; 11-26-2003 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-27-2003, 02:43 AM
itlkick
Senior User
Re: engine

Originally posted by Mi-Te Pakman
Are you aware of all the ins and outs of swapping over? So much work hardly seems worth it. The only way to go that would be cost and time efficient would be to just add a supercharger to your truck.
I had a Vortech on my Navigator and it sucked! It made boost at 3,500 RPM. How often are you driving a Navigator at 3,500 RPM? It was noisy and a total waste of time.

Understand I don't hate Vortech superchargers, I have one on my Mustang and make 904hp with it (www.superstang.com).

I tow my car and I tow a horse trailer. I wanted the Lightning supercharger because 1) it is cool and 2) it makes power where I want it.

Yes, I am well aware of what it takes to do the conversion. I would guess I have another 20 hours at a minimum to get it running and I have the supercharger bolted on already. It was WAY more work than I expected and I had to change WAY more things than expected. I guess I should have "expected" that!