pining and knocking NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 04:05 PM
mlazzaro
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1994 ford ranger with 90,000 miles 2.3l 4 cylinder with a 5 speed manual and everything is stock but a k&n filter. I got the truck 2 years ago and when ever I am on the highway and put it under load it starts pining and knocking and making noises that it should not be doing. I have tried my best to fix this problem and can not figure it out so I am bringing it to the forms in hopes that some one can help me out.

What I have done is
1.change all 8 spark plugs to bosh platum plugs
2.did 2 motorvacs (is supposed to clean the fuel rail injectors and all carbon out of cylinders)
3.ran 2 cups of water into a vacuum port to get rid of carbon
4.used 10 – 20 bottles of chevron fuel system cleaner
5.ran a 3m total fuel system cleaner kit ( does upper intake and throtel plate)
6.changed the fuel filter
7.changed the PCV valve
8.remover the octane spout plug that retards the timing 3 degrees
9.took out the MAF and inspected the little wires to make sure there was not crap or carbon on them

now this is everything I can think of to do I am out of ideas and I need some help. I pretty sure it is not carbon because I think I have ran enough cleaners to get any carbon that might be in there out.
the only thing I could think of is the O2 sensor but it is not cheep from ford so if anyone know how to test it let me know and I will. I need the pin out because it is a 4 wire heated sensor and I do not know what wires do what.

PLEASE SOME ONE HELP ME I DO NOT THINK I CAN TAKE THE PINING AND MORE IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY

Old 09-22-2003, 09:34 AM
gmorstadt
New User

I have the same problem, but mine is a 2000 2.5 xl manual with 57,000 miles on it. Ping started about 5,000 miles ago. I have done nothing to this vehicle except (not enough) oil changes. Would appreciate any responses to this problem as well. Thx

Old 10-05-2003, 11:16 PM
exboxextreme
New User
This kind of sounds like the problem both mine and my sisters ranger are making. Mine is a 5sp standard. It's loudest when it's Idiling, but the noise comes and goes. When its ideling and clacking the noise goes away when I push the clutch in. When I'm in drive I sometimes here the loose clackiing noise when I'm in low rpm's in third to fith gear. My cousin used to have a mazda truck he said his made the same noise, he said it's from the realease bearing of the clutch. I took it to midas they said it wasn't anything mechanical, and that it probably just needed a tune up. I didn't fall for that.
Does this sound like the noises you guys have aswell?
If anyone know's what this maybe please let us know.

Old 10-08-2003, 04:14 PM
fordbreathin
New User
How bad is the knocking and pinging? If its light try simply running Premium gas. My 2.5L 2000 ranger does it all the time especially in hotter weather. But I know what you are saying it gets on my nerves bad. I usually keep my stereo cranked up so I cant't hear it.

Old 10-08-2003, 04:21 PM
fordbreathin
New User
to: exboxextreme sorry I didn't read your reply. Those guys at midas should have known if you push the clutch in and the noise goes away that its definately not the engine, its mechanical. I believe your buddy is right. My friend has a 2001 mustang sounds like you both have the same problem. Your throw out bearing is going if the noise goes away when you push the clutch in.

Old 10-28-2003, 05:45 PM
wolfen
Senior User
Hey All,
Mine makes the noise (slave cylinder bearing) when I push in the pedal.
Figured that it is going (bearing) because it would be under pressure.
When released, once in a while you can hear it faintly.
How many of you have pulled your codes for the pinging problems?
__________________________________________________ _
‘90 Ranger XLT: 2.3L, EEC-IV, EFI, DIS, 2wd, Mazda 5sp 127K/mi

Old 10-28-2003, 06:57 PM
fordstergk
New User
I agree with the premium gas.I have a 94 with 165k miles and it has always preferred premium.I have at times ran cheaper gas to match what was in the wallet but it starts that pinging.I have decided that she has to get me another 50k till I can replace her, so I use the good stuff.You should try it.

Old 10-28-2003, 06:58 PM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should check for codes. There seems to be a problem that develops with the MAF when running a K&N air filter. I believe that excessive pinging was the symptom.

Old 10-28-2003, 11:27 PM
exboxextreme
New User
I got some kind of computer scan done and they put a new purge sensor in which solved my engine light problem. That pinging is still there, I might one day try out premium gas but I highly dought it will solve the pinging problem, I'm convince by now that it's the clutch release bearing.
If any one knows how much it would cost to replace a new clutch release bearing please let me know, if I ever get an estimate I'll let you guys know.

Old 10-30-2003, 07:46 AM
wolfen
Senior User
Hi guys,

Where is this:
octane spout plug that retards the timing 3 degrees
Like to know for future referance!

Also...does the Slave Cylinder (inside of trany bell) like mine, include the throw-out bearing for the clutch?

Last edited by wolfen; 10-30-2003 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:23 AM
gmorstadt
New User
I put the premium gas(92 octane) in mine and the pinging went away immediatlly. I thought it would take a couple of tank fulls at least but the moment I pulled away from the station it was gone.(I was running on fumes though.) Decided to try the 89 octane and the ping is still gone. I am so happy...I was thinking of getting a new truck it was so annoying. Now I might even start spending money on it again, like a new set of tires to start out with.