1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Slide-in camper in a Ranger?

Old 09-09-2003, 11:39 PM
brianjwilson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Slide-in camper in a Ranger?

Has anyone here used a slide-in camper in their Ranger? I've seen a few driving around with them, mostly I see pop-up campers. But I've seen a few with full top campers and I was looking at one at an RV dealership today. It is a 2002 made by pastime, it's a 7.5 ft (floor length), weighs a little under 1400lbs. Queen bed above with dinette, double sink, propane fridge, furnace, 3 burner stove with oven, and water heater (I think). This type of model would most likely be used with the tailgate intact, but down.
I'm looking for someones opinion on stability etc with a camper in their Ranger. Aside from heavier duty springs (possibly with airbags), heavy duty shocks, and possibly a heavier rear anti-sway bar, what else might a Ranger need to support a camper?
Also hoping someone might know a little bit about camper tie-down systems. Thanks again for any advice,

Brian J Wilson

Old 09-09-2003, 11:55 PM
kuade
New User

Road master spring helpers would be a usefull addition, they help under heavy load to prevent body roll and bottoming out your rear springs

Old 09-10-2003, 11:45 AM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The owners guide says, "Your Ranger pickup is not recommended for slide in camper bodies." Your 98 S/C 4x4 would have a curb weight of around 3650 pounds. Add a driver and passenger at 350 pounds and you are at 4,000 pounds. Your GVW would be probably 5020 pounds unless you have payload package 2. Your rear axle GAWR would probably be 2700 pounds. The rear curb weight is around 800 pounds per side or 1600 total on the rear axle. Add the 1400 pound camper dry weight and the rear tires would see 1500 pounds per side. Then add in some cargo, 25 gallons of water and tools, etc. Pretty soon you are 5-600 pounds over the rear axle rating and most of the weight is higher in the pickup box then a load of gravel, sand or dirt. Your stability during high winds and sudden lane changes would not be good. Start to see why Ford does not recommend slide in campers?
I don't want to sound like gloom and doom, but I want you to be safe if I am out there somewhere that you are driving.

Old 09-10-2003, 12:16 PM
TheUglyTroll
New User

I have had slide in campers in 3/4 and 1 ton pickups and pushed the weight limits on both. The 1 ton (Dual RW) was the most practicle and safest (IMO) - it was almost 7600LBS fully loaded!

I like my Ranger, but I don't want to see how it would perform in a good cross wind with a slide in camper.....

I also agree with Ranger Pat - you will most likely be overweight after you get all you stuff in the camper.

Be safe and be careful!

Just my two cents .....

Old 09-10-2003, 02:48 PM
brianjwilson
Senior User

This is pretty much what I expected to hear
The main reason I'm asking is because, like I said, I've seen it done quite a few times. And I do remember the manual saying it doesn't recommend slide-in campers. I'm trying to re-find the website I saw a few months ago, about a couple who had a 98-00 Ranger 4x4 supercab, who had a cabover camper like this. They traveled and lived in the camper, all over in the states, into Mexico, without any complaints about handling. I've seen a couple of 4x4 Ranger SC's with campers driving through town and in/out of driveways and look pretty stable, just never got a chance to talk to any of them.
Anyway, the camper I looked at said the max weight of the camper (which is with all options installed), was 1340lbs I think. Held only 10g of water (80lbs), then propane and gear, still quite a bit of weight, I know, but very little for a camper. It was also just barely taller than 6'. I do realize that I would be close to, or maybe over the weight limit. When traveling, most of the weight would be down on the floor, or in the cab of the truck.
The good thing about safety right now is, I don't think I can afford another payment for it right now anyway. Just hoping that maybe 1-2 years down the road I could maybe make it work. I'm pretty much stuck with the Ranger until it dies, so can't even consider another truck, and wouldn't want to . I'm just running my mind trying to think what would help support the load. As far as wheels and tires, I'd probably take my 31x10.50R15's off, and put on 16x8 wheels with 265/75 load D tires. But that's just one of many things that would need to be done. I'd still really like to hear from someone who has experience with a small camper in a Ranger. Thanks again for the input!

Brian J Wilson

Old 09-10-2003, 04:10 PM
treb
Senior User

like said slide in's are a big no for rangers just way to dangerous

Old 09-10-2003, 09:34 PM
DainBramage
Posting Guru

Why not go with a pop-up?
Much easier to deal with, safer, most are well within your weight limits, easy to tow, and don't tie up your truck the whole time you are on vacation, you can still use your truck.

Of course, I never really saw much use for the slide-in's unless you were towing something else, which there is no way you could get away with in a Ranger, you'll be over-weight just with the slide-in...

Old 09-11-2003, 12:09 AM
brianjwilson
Senior User

Considered pop-ups too. Everyone has different wants and opinions. Main thing was, I came across a nice, newer barely used camper that I could have gotten a good price on. Personally, I like regular cab-overs vs pop-ups. I don't like having to reconfigure everything to stand, sleep, every time I stop. A regular height camper I can just open the door and step in whenever I want. As far as tying up the whole truck when on vacation, either camper can be put on the jacks and driven away from. Although, it would probably be left on most of the time I'm traveling anyway.
Personally, I like slide-ins more than trailers because;
1) Easier access to backroads, etc, without worrying about having room to turn a trailer around.
2) I <i>could</i> tow something light, if I wanted to (small fiberglass sailboat, kayaks...)
3) Only takes up one parking space (sometimes I stop and sleep/cook in parking lots or streetside and don't want to bring TOO much attention)
4) I've simply always liked slide-ins and van conversions.
Another reason I don't like pop-ups is because it's really obvious that someone is in it when the top is up. Draws a little more attention then a regular camper. Not to mention I like to camp in cold weather a lot, and pop-ups aren't insulated as well, also worried about life of the canvas in the damp climate I live in. Either way, I'd still consider both. I'm looking for some other forums to find people who have driven Rangers with campers in them, to hear their opinion. I realize how most people would feel unsafe. Just gotta hear someones opinion with experience. If I went ahead and bought one, I would get a pop-up without hesitation about weight or stability. A regular camper might be questionable, but still considered.
Sorry about the long posts...

Brian J Wilson

Old 09-11-2003, 07:39 AM
jase71
Freshman User

There are a very few slide in campers that are made for the smaller trucks like the Ranger...

The T100S at
http://www.six-pac.com/products.html

And the 6'10" Lite at
http://www.northern-lite.com/lite.shtml

The Northern Lite is listed at 1050 pounds dry... looks like the Six-Pac weighs the same.

I'm sure there are a few others out there as well. The small ones generally lack a shower and toilet, though... one of the ways they save weight and space.

Old 09-12-2003, 02:30 AM
brianjwilson
Senior User

Hmm, northern lite looks nice, can never find interior photos though of course.
Has anyone here actually weighed their Ranger? Ranger Pat said curb weight around 3650, has anyone verified this? Does that weight include fluids? I wish there was a scale closeby so I could get a better idea of what mine weighs, and look for a camper within the limits. Would be hard to do in a Ranger anyway, but would like to find something close. My main problem is that most new campers are too much money, and (newer) used campers for small trucks are hard to find!
Also, if I <i>do</i> ever get to a scale, do you get overall weight, front axle, and rear axle weight, or how does that work? Thanks once again.

Brian J Wilson

Old 09-23-2003, 08:11 PM
Britanicus99
New User

Hello,

I have a 2000 mazda 4000SE 4 door. I have looked at buying a slide in camper so that I can also tow my 14 foot aluminum boat. What I was told to do before I use it was to add a rear torsion bar and air assisted suspension. Slide the Camper in and fill up the air. Of course you are a little more top heavy but as always if you practice defence driving you will be OK.

Hope this helps.
Chris

Old 04-11-2004, 10:31 PM
stupidmonkey
New User
Brian,

This might be of interest to you :

http://www.sunvalleyinc.com/floorpla.../skyhawksb.htm

Let us know how you make out.

Angelo

Old 11-26-2008, 07:47 PM
gorangergo
New User
I have a 2001 Ranger XLT and itll pull the world with enough crap added onto it! lol I pull a tandem axle 24' travel trailer with my Ranger and it pulls the crap out of it! The title says it wieghs 3600 lbs empty. Of course Ive got a 1000+ dollars invested in the pickup adding on sway bars, load bearing hitch, tranny cooler, air bags to help rear suspension, fixed elec. brakes on trailer and install elec. brake controller.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:50 PM
gorangergo
New User
I recomend you get gross weight and front and rear axle weight if you get the chance.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:15 PM
smr2250
New User
slide-in campers

Have a 2010 Ford Ranger,4.0V6,Automatic,Extended Cab,4wd that I put a pop-up slide-in camper in(@1100lbs) and pull an ATV trailer with a 700lb AtV on it in the mountains of Southwest Colorado. The grades are steep and I have no problems keeping up with traffic. My Ranger works great and I have no problems with the truck handling. Also have installed air bags and added a leaf spring. According to the manual I have a towing capacity of 5150 lbs and a GCVW of 9500 lbs. They even took the part about "no slide-in campers" out of the manual!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slide-in camper in a Ranger?