Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2003, 09:16 PM
Junior User

jdb1937 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chevy Colorado vs. Ford Ranger

Personally, I think that the Chevy Colorado will be a superior truck to the Ford Ranger for several reasons, but I would like to know what others think. I am aware that Ford may be better at first, however, due to superior overall quality control.

1. Inline 5 engines are superior to V-6 engines. Easier to keep cool, much easier to service, make more hp per litre, should get better gas mileage. I would like to see the inline 6 in Colorado, but admit that would be far superior and way out of proportion with what the rest of the class is offering right now.

2. Offering a choice of sport, standard and 4WD suspension from the factory is really an advance for me. I can order a hunkered down, better handling truck if i want it from the factory now!

3. I understand a 6 speed manual transmission is coming for the Colorado but not initially. I may be wrong here.

What do you all think? Thanks- J.D., KCK
1996 Ford Ranger, EC, 4.0 V-6, 5 speed, K&N FIPK, radiator- 5.0 V-8, 160 stat, flex a lite fan, jet chip (wish it was Hypertech), Bilsteins, bed extender, topper, bed liner, grille guard, anti-sway ba
Old 09-08-2003, 11:53 PM
Posting Guru

Texan1983 is starting off with a positive reputation.

i have to agree, i think it will be a cool truck with many things the ranger can't offer. i would like to see what they drive like
Old 09-09-2003, 12:29 PM
Junior User

ranger15 is starting off with a positive reputation.

the colorado was built for competion w/ the dakota not the ranger
the s 10 and ranger was for comp and ranger won so chvy is trying to beat the dakota now
Old 09-10-2003, 01:24 PM
Posting Guru

AG4.0 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

I think the Colorado will be a good daily driver, but they decreased towing capability on them by almost 2,000 pounds to 4,000 lbs, because they determined that people that need to tow that much will opt for a full size. This is where I think the ranger has a big advantage. Also the Colorado is a bit heavier and will need every extra bit of horsepower that it gets to make up the differnce. It is also down I think 25 ft-lbs so it may not perform as well loaded. It does have a very flat torque curve so it will be very interesting to see how it performs. It is also not as big as the Dakota so it fits nicely between it and Ranger for size. Ford does need to redo the Ranger quick or it is gonna see the Colorado take the place as best selling compact pickup. And I don't mean another facelift and some extra options. I just hope it doesn't get any bigger than what the Colorado is because that's what I like best about mine is that it is small and is great in the City as well as on the trails.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:44 PM
Junior User

I agree AG4.0, your statements are right on. If i were Chevy I dont think i would reduce the towing capacity that much, 5,000lbs would be more like it, although I can live with 4,000lbs. I will admit that things like travel trailers are getting lighter these days, but everything else isnt.

Both Fords 4.0 OHC and Dodge's 3.7 OHC is now, IMHO, probably obsolete. Time will tell after a few magazine road tests, and my own road test, and hear what owners think. If you go by what is on paper, sure looks like Ford and Dodge need to go back to the drawing board. And not just to build inline 4s, 5s, and 6s. This truck truly is heating up the small/mid-size truck market for the first time since 82/83 when they were introduced; I remember there were waiting lists for Chevy S-10s back then! I wish Chevy the best with this ambitious project- time will tell if they are successful. J.D., KCK
1996 Ford Ranger, EC, 4.0 V-6, 5 speed, K&N FIPK, radiator- 5.0 V-8, 160 stat, flex a lite fan, jet chip (wish it was Hypertech), Bilsteins, bed extender, topper, bed liner, grille guard, anti-sway ba
Old 09-10-2003, 02:51 PM
Posting Guru

Texan1983 is starting off with a positive reputation.

has anyone else noticed that everything keeps getting bigger these days? mid size car are now full size and compacts are mid size, i wish the would stay in there class. if i want a small car i will buy one if i want bigger i will go the next step up. one example is Nissan, the altima was supposed to be a compact car and the maxima a mid sized. but not the "compact" altima is bigger than the Maxima! untill this year when the updated the maxima, and what did they do??? they made the maxima bigger again! i wish cars would get more features better looks and other stuff, not size. stay in the class make another car if you want bigger. like the colorado, made to fill in the blank, and they are keeping the s10 for the smaller class (for now they say)
Old 09-10-2003, 03:55 PM
Posting Guru

That's for sure, and then when a car or truck jumps to a different class then the auto maker has to introduce a new model to fill in the hole.
Hopefully when Ranger gets it's redesign it is within a couple inches of what it is now. If I wanted a bigger truck I'd step up to a full size. I wish Ford cold stay more up to date on it's motors. They should have switched the Ranger over to the OHC back when they did the Explorer. It seems like they decide to upgrade at the last minte, right before the competition upgrades again.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:49 AM
Junior User

I agree too, i think auto makers do this enlargement since they dont really have much to do to improve the vehicle, so they simply make it larger so there is an "improvement".

That is one good reason i can appreciate the Colorado/Canyon- there is true, real design improvements here. Just about every system on the vehicle is improved over the previous generation- esp the engine, suspension, interior, exterior styling, features. This used to be common- when vehicles were redesigned there was almost always major improvements. Nowadays, it is more common that a vehicle gets "redesigned" when it really isnt improved or changed very much. Colorado is an exception.

Also- Ford did add OHC to its V-6 and it did increase the HP. But they did it on the cheap; instead they should have went to an inline 5 and/or 6 since OHC or DOHC is much easier to accomplish with an inline engine as opposed to a V-6. Dodge/Jeep made the same mistake- went from the excellent 4.0 inline six to a 3.7 V-6. I cant wait for about 5 years from now- to see if Ford and Dodge/Jeep will be forced to intoduce their own inline engine family and eat all the money they spent developing V-6s!!
J.D., KCK
Old 09-12-2003, 03:51 PM
Elder User

pat67shorty is starting off with a positive reputation.

Directly from the horse's mouth:

http://www.cars.com/news/stories/090403_storya_an.jhtml?page=story&aff=national

(copy and paste into your browser, link doesn't show correctly.)

Sounds like they are marketing the new Colorado to the suburban poser market. Not to worry, Ford will still sell Rangers to people who need a small truch for work, but don't need/want to step up to a fullsize.

Last edited by pat67shorty; 09-12-2003 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:52 PM
Posting Guru

AlfredB1979 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Quote:
Originally posted by jdb1937
Personally, I think that the Chevy Colorado will be a superior truck to the Ford Ranger for several reasons, but I would like to know what others think. I am aware that Ford may be better at first, however, due to superior overall quality control.

1. Inline 5 engines are superior to V-6 engines. Easier to keep cool, much easier to service, make more hp per litre, should get better gas mileage. I would like to see the inline 6 in Colorado, but admit that would be far superior and way out of proportion with what the rest of the class is offering right now.

2. Offering a choice of sport, standard and 4WD suspension from the factory is really an advance for me. I can order a hunkered down, better handling truck if i want it from the factory now!

3. I understand a 6 speed manual transmission is coming for the Colorado but not initially. I may be wrong here.

I think the Colorado/Canyon clones will be okay, but that is mainly because GM usually does something to screw things up with them in the first place.

I have heard NO pro-GM guys say the I5 will be "all that" in such an overweight truck. They all want the I6 or the 4.8...actually the 5.3L (get real!) in that truck line.

The I6 won't be going into the Canorado clones ever! Look under that I6 and see that huge hole where the axle slides into the oil pan...that'll tell you the I6 was made for the glorified car platform that TB/Enoy/Rainier sits on....and the platorms aren't anywhere realted due to that. The engines, yes, but that's about it.

As for the 6-speed...we'll see. I've heard the full-size trucks look like they were designed in a way to "leave out" the manual tranny. It looks like GM is going away from the manual...probably to save production line costs, of course.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:36 PM
Junior User

Of course the axle goes through the oil pan only in the 4WD version- the kind I wont be buying. I do have a question, though. Will the new Hummer H3 (which is based on Colorado/Canyon) also have its front axle going through the oil pan?

The TB/Envoy/Rainier is not a glorified car platform, unless you call a fully hydroformed body on frame vehicle a glorified car platform! If you do, what do you call a unit-body??

As for the power situation- i will agree everyone wants more power. And apparently the I-6 will not fit. So that leaves the I-5 (which i hope GM sees fit to add the hybrid drive to- so there is more power and gas mileage and a 110 volt generator) or a supercharger, or a V-8. I dont like the latter two options.

GM's I-5 probably remains superior to any V-6 on the market, Chevy, Dodge or Ford. I cant wait till they go head to head and we see what happens. J.D., KCK
Old 09-12-2003, 08:38 PM
Junior User

And i sure hope GM does not give up on the manual transmission! PLEASE, PLEASE DONT DO IT GM!!! I have a feeling you may be right, but i still dont want it to happen! J.D., KCK
Old 09-16-2003, 12:27 PM
Posting Guru

WXboy is starting off with a positive reputation.

Quote:
Originally posted by jdb1937

Well, I was in the market for a new truck this Fall. I got GM to send me brochures on the Colorado. I did a lot of research. I asked a lot of questions. I visited dealers. And as you can see...I now am the very proud owner of an '03 Ranger.

The I-5 is not superior. My V6 still out-pulls it by making almost 20 lb./ft. more torque. A professional automotive analyst recently said, "GM's problem is going to be that people are looking for V6s. The I-5 is an odd number which might scare away many buyers, and GM can't show numbers that prove it's as strong as a V6, so that's going to hurt their sales."

Second, the suspension options are going to be nice. BUT the payload and towing are going to be significantly lower than the Ranger, or even the S10 that it's replacing. So anyone who really needs a truck is again going to buy a Ranger instead.

The manual tranny in the Colorado is a NEW 5-speed manual. So I doubt a 6-speed will also be offered...at least not for a long time.

A GM spokeswoman recently was quoted in a conference..."We make trucks to last 100,000 miles. Why would you expect to get more out of it?" I think that's enough said. I am now very happy that I bought a Ranger. It'll still be on the road long after that wimpy Colorado gives in. And to think...GM has been saying all along "People won't need to worry...Colorado will be all Chevy truck." Well, I sure as heck don't want anymore Chevy trucks then....sheesh.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:03 PM
Posting Guru

acerockola77 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I would buy one to have the 6 speed manual and the Inline 5, other than that I can't stand the looks of them.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:36 PM
Posting Guru

So I was just comparing specs from the s-10, Ranger and Colorado 4x4 super cab versions. Width of a ranger is 70.4," S-10 is 67.9," and Colorado is 67.6." Length is: R- 202.9," S- 204.8," and C- 207.0." Bed length is R- 71.8," S- 72.8," and C- 73." So basically it is still narrower than the Ranger, it only gains 2.2" of length, and .2" of box length over the S-10. Wheel base is Rs 125.7," S- 122.9," and C is 125.9" So the Colorado is olonger than the Ranger but not wider, which means that it isn't really much bigger. It does have 4" of length on the Ranger which should give it a bit better legroom. It also has a rear bench seat which still renders it useless for seating. I would rather have the jumpseats of the ranger so I can extend my legs. Granted it will be for kids only but in a backseat that small I don't see the advantage of forward facing seats. Maybe safety but that's all. The interior looks nice but it still has a lot of cheap looking plastic. We'll se what happens with it.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:36 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition

Tags
40, 4wd, bed, chevrolet, chevy, colorado, compared, dakota, ford, i5, manual, ranger, size, trans, vs