Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-2003, 01:14 PM
New User

Ontime Recovery is starting off with a positive reputation.
7.3 Powerstroke Various Problems

We are a UK based recovery company with a couple of F-550's, one with various problems. Unfortunately being in the UK means we find it difficult to get technical help so hopefully you guy's can help us. The truck is a 1998 7.3 Powerstroke with an automatic transmission (4R100) with gearbox mounted PTO and Century Wrecker Kit. Problem 1 - Under 1000rpm the truck sounds like it has a dry bearing somewhere (we have looked everywhere!) is this normal? Problem 2 - Does this engine have hydraulics tappets if so are they adjustable? Problem 3 - Would the air conditioning pump still work if the system became discharged? Problem 4 - Does anyone know of a supplier of 19.5" Phoenix wheel trims with pop out centres for the front differential locks? Problem 5 - The vehicle sounds and feels like it has a wheel bearing fault but they all seem ok could it be the tyres (Firestone On & Off Road Tyres)?Any help would be gratefully received.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:57 PM
Posting Guru

RRMike is starting off with a positive reputation.

Well on the wheel bearing issue I know they can go bad and not have play in them. It's these new sealed bearings. I've heard several reports of folks that jacked them up and couldn't find any play but the bearings were shot.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:31 PM
Senior User

lostbuckaroo is starting off with a positive reputation.

The air conditioning pump will not work if the system becomes discharged. There is a sensor that will not allow the pump to activate if a low refrigerent level is detected.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:24 PM
New User

Thanks people just need answers to the other 3 problems. Once again many thanks.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Freshman User

riverbedjed is starting off with a positive reputation.

I know alot of people hate those firestone tires. The way they ride and the way they wear. you should podssibly try a new tire mabye a nitto, or a bfg all terrain, I have bfg at's on my super duty and i love them!!
Ken
Old 09-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Senior User

International Tech is starting off with a positive reputation.

hi there. For the 1st question i need a lil more info. Like under any load, 1000rpm's is low so is there any idle issues, what noises are you hearing? the 7.3 has hydraulic lifters and do not need adjusting ever as they are hydraulic. lemme know
Old 09-09-2003, 03:31 AM
New User

The noise is apparent when the engine speed drops below 1000rpm (when ticking over or when slowing down to stop). Someone mentioned that this could be the main gearbox shaft?
Its difficult to explain a noise but it sounds something similar to a loose dry worn bearing running at speed!!!!!!! Also the truck seems to lack power on pull away, someone mention something about fitting a direct drive unit? Does such a thing exist?
Old 09-16-2003, 11:12 AM
New User

Can anyone help with the remaining problems?
Old 09-17-2003, 12:10 PM
New User

firststroke is starting off with a positive reputation.

I may be way off, but the ticking sound, could it be the torque converter? I owned my SD with a 4r100 for almost 2 years before I realized it was making a noise. I replaced it over the weekend and I keep thinking it died when I come to a stop. It sounded like a bolt in a coffee can.
Old 09-20-2003, 05:10 AM
New User

The truck is fitted with a Muncie Power Take Off unit fitted to the gearbox has anyone had any problems with these?
Old 09-24-2003, 01:25 PM
New User

Firststroke, what was wrong with the torque converter that you removed? We got the motor into the workshop yesterday and drained the oil on the torque converter, there is something rattling around inside the torque converter so it is coming out over the next day or two. Are the torque converters repairable? Does anyone know how much a new torque converter for a 1998 Ford F550 7.3 Powerstroke?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:19 PM
New User

mofo3181964 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1999 ford 350 super duty 730 diesel

I have a question for anyone?..I need help.. my truck runs great but everytime i turn on the wipers it dies can someone help me with this?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Post Fiend

BigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofo3181964 View Post
I have a question for anyone?..I need help.. my truck runs great but everytime i turn on the wipers it dies can someone help me with this?
Wow, old thread to dig up...

Anyway, sounds like a possible CPS(Camshaft Position Sensor) issue. Any chance you know if it has a parts store CPS in it?

Get one from Ford or international and try that first.

Alan 2000 F-350 CC SRW 4WD, DIY FRx, DIY CCK, Tyrant Tuning, BTS Trans, SpringerPop's Disabler, 6637 Filter, OCR, DIY Hutch Mod, Van Turbo w/RR 6/6 billet wheel, Foil Delete, 50Cent Mod, 4" Turbo back, other stuff...297,000 Miles and counting.Towing 2005 32' Sandpiper 5'er 2007 CC SRW 4WD 6.0 mostly stock
Member Arkansas Chapter
Old 05-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Senior User

smithrock is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yeah even if you did a search, the title doesn't tell you much about the problem. That FNG must have been searching forever!.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Postmaster

Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bonanza35 has a very good reputation on FTE.
T early convertors all made that noise. Some got replaced by ford, and most didn't. When you change it out it will sound completely different.. Parts house CPS tend to do that when the windshield wipers come on. Not all, but 50/50.

Chet
Old 05-21-2012, 11:40 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2000, 73, 73l, axle, converter, f250, front, noise, powerstroke, problems, speed, ticking, torque, usual, wheel