Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

van pull to one side when braking

Old 11-08-2001, 08:54 PM
luv2wire
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 96 e150. I replaced the calipers(three times),pads(3times),rotors(3 times),brake hoses, and my van continues to pull to the right when i brake. I had the rear brakes bled and adjusted. The only parts I didn't replace are the MC and the PPV. What could be my problem?

Old 11-09-2001, 08:56 AM
Hartwood
Freshman User

Ok, you have probably already checked these things but I will mention them none the less. This is from general experience, not specific to the F-150 as I have only had mine 2 weeks now.

Is the tire pressure on the front tires equal? In other words if you have 5lbs less in one front tire than the other the vehicle will pull to one side.

Have you checked the front end, jack front up and insure the suspension components are tight but tryiing to move the bottome of the wheel outwards or inwards; not turning the wheel.

Did you have this problem before you started changing brake components? Or is this problem new, since the components were changed? One thing to keep in mind, correct me if I am wrong, but lets say your truck pulls to the left, more than likely there is a problem with the opposite side, ie. the right side. This is because the vehicle will pull toward the side with better braking, whatever the cause. Not sure which way it would pull as far as tire pressure goes though.

Forgive me if you have already checked these things, but the info may come in handy to someone else.

regards,

Bryan

Old 11-09-2001, 09:50 AM
jay_s5
Junior User

I have the same problem with my '94 F150, and was checking here to see if I could get some info when I saw your post. I was thinking my calipers needed to be rebuilt, but after seeing your ordeal I'm wondering if there isn't something else.

My Chilton's refers to "centering the pressure differential valve" after working on the calipers. It doesn't say how you do it, or even describe anything more about it other than replacing it. I don't see a pressure differential valve on my master cylinder, but it sounds like it may be a possibility.

Let us know what you find out. I am VERY interested to spare myself the time and trouble it seems like you have gone through to solve the same problem I am having.

Old 11-09-2001, 06:10 PM
luv2wire
New User

yes the air pressure is ok. The "toe-in" is ok. I didnt have this problem until i worked on the brakes. The only two things left to change is the ppv and the MC. This pressure dif. valve may be the same component im replacing on the underside of the van mounted to the chasis under the driver next to the fuel filter. I read somewhere to center the pressure diff.value all you had to do was start the vehicle and press the brake pedal which you would do anyway to put the vehicle in gear. Now today the van was stopping normally, the van still feels weird when stopping like the front brakes are still not equally grabbing. Tomorrow It may start pulling again when I brake.

Old 11-09-2001, 08:00 PM
StrangeRanger
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it pulls, do you feel it it the steering wheel or does the vehicle just get sideways with no feedback thru the wheel? If you can't feel it in the steering it's likely to be a REAR wheel cylinder sticking, they're notorious for it.

Old 11-09-2001, 09:49 PM
luv2wire
New User

yes I can feel it in the steering wheel, as a matter of fact the wheel pulls real hard to the right. I guess that means the left caliper is not grabbing. I have replaced the calipers 3 times. I hope replacing the ppv will solve the problem. I will keep you all posted...
shelton

Old 11-09-2001, 10:25 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster

Old 01-20-2024, 09:01 AM
BigRedE350NJ
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same

Hey guys
so my van pulls to the left when braking. I’ve replaced calipers , pads, abs module, tires, hoses, and gotten an alignment. It seems to vary with the amount of draw on the battery…but I may be imagining that . I say that because it’s more noticeable in the rain. With the blowers and wipers going. Again I could be making that up. Really would love a solution to this.
Best