Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2003, 11:06 PM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

bandit is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy Parking Pawl Rod

I jumped out of my 68 F250 with a 390 C6 combo after my sunday cruise,heard a clickin sound,turned around to see my truck headin down the driveway.I managed to jump in and stop it before it made it to the street.I checked the linkage and it looked good.Then i removed the linkage and pushed on the shifting arm to see if it wasn't engaging into park but it was.Can i inspect/replace the Parking Pawl Rod after removing the Transmission pan?Remove Transmission from truck?
Old 09-08-2003, 08:53 PM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

rclarke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Parking Pawl Rod

You might find the broken part in the pan but the transmission will need to be removed and torn down if the park pawl is the broken part. Occasionally the clip that holds the pushrod/actuator to the shift link will break or come out. Thats an easy fix if you are lucky.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:59 AM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

bandit is starting off with a positive reputation.
Parking Pawl Rod

Thanks rclarke.

I'll drop the pan and have a look at the shift link
area at the end of the rod.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:40 AM
Posting Guru
Garage is empty, add now

archangel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Parking Pawl Rod

and pull the end housing to see if the parking gear and lever is still ok.
On some older transmissions I have seen a "C" clip holding the gear on the shaft, the newer one have the casting on the end of the splines holding it on, and the extension housing had a bump cast into it also for that reason.
If the "C" clip came off, the gear might slide backwards and miss the parking pawl.
It had a verified 19 mpg city taking off slow as hell then shutting it down at red lights, and with the radiator grill blocked flush, no bed cover, "drag shoot" mirrors still on I got 24 mpg at 50 to 55 mph on the freeway empty!
Old 09-12-2003, 12:40 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case

Tags
01, 150, actuator, broken, bronco, c6, clip, expedition, f150, ford, park, parking, pawl, removing, replace, rod