Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel filter removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 09:45 PM
KNZRHOG
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel filter removal

Tried to replace the filter today with no luck. The truck has EFI & dual tanks and a short bed so the rear fitting is tight. But I couldn't even get the front fitting off. Relieved fuel pressure in the line. Removed the clip and pulled like hell. Came in to the house and did a search on this site. Guys said it just pulled off. So I went back and and pulled and pried again. The front portion of the filter stretched forward about 1/2" but the fitting wouldn't come off. It turns and slides back and forth about 1/4" but that's it. The Chilton manual is crap. Going to get a Haynes tomorrow. Does anyone have a trick to get the fittings off? Thanks.

Craig

Old 09-03-2003, 10:21 PM
ewellman
Junior User
Fuel filter removal

had the same problem. found out there is a tool that releases the line from the filter. I got mine from Advanced Auto for about $7.
I got a 92 F150 300 i6

Old 09-03-2003, 10:25 PM
KNZRHOG
Junior User
Fuel filter removal

We don't have Advanced here on the left coast but I'll try Pep Boy's, Auto Zone, Kragen or Grand Auto for starters. Thank you Ewellman!

Old 09-04-2003, 06:39 AM
lexluthr69
Senior User
Fuel filter removal

If you did indeed get the clip off, then it REALLY should just pull right off. I don't know of any other tricks besides checking to see if the line is loose on the filter and turns, or is maybe corroded on there.

Old 09-04-2003, 09:02 AM
tsheriff
Elder User
Fuel filter removal

lexluthr69

I think your wong on this.I changed the filter on my 89 bronco and it indead just pulled off after removing the clip. But on my 94 and my dads92 F-250's we have to use the removal tool. It looks like a double ended pair of sissors with two different sized split openings for releasing the springs inside the fitting.

Old 09-04-2003, 09:49 AM
alkazoo
Freshman User
Fuel filter removal

i needed the tool on my 93 150, ext cab.
I didnt buy the scissors type tool, i was able to get the little plastic gizmos at the local auto parts dealer, about ten cents in plastic but they charge ya $3.95 of course..lol...even with the tool to remove the filter, it still requires some jammin and tuggin on the line once the tool is in place. Then of course be prepared for your "gas shower" over your clothes and face from the gas still in the line which sprays out....always fun....

Old 09-04-2003, 10:53 AM
tsheriff
Elder User
Fuel filter removal

The 3 times i have done this i have never gotten sprayed. It just flowed out. Remove the front line. Have the new filter ready. as sone as you pull the line from the old filter stick it right to the new, It will prevent the back flow from the motor. Tick the plastic cap from new filter onto the outlet of the old while in the mount. remove filter from mount and turn it vertical. Remove rear line and imediatly sick it to new filter. You will get a shower here form fuel in filter.

Old 09-04-2003, 10:58 AM
stepman
Posting Guru
Fuel filter removal

There are 2 different line in use. If you have the plastic lines with the little plastic clips, the line just pulls off. If you have the metal line with a metal clip,you need the tool.

Old 09-04-2003, 03:43 PM
lexluthr69
Senior User
Fuel filter removal

Ok, I didn't know that Ford upgraded to the spring locks on the fuel lines to the filter. "Special tool" it is then. Good luck with it.

Old 09-04-2003, 08:27 PM
KNZRHOG
Junior User
Fuel filter removal

I picked up the "Special tool" today. Got home too late to try it. I'll post tomorrow on how much gas I eat. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Old 09-04-2003, 10:10 PM
Pastmaster
Postmaster
Fuel filter removal

Originally posted by lexluthr69
Ok, I didn't know that Ford upgraded to the spring locks on the fuel lines to the filter. "Special tool" it is then. Good luck with it.
They did that because they eliminated the high pressure pump in the 90 trucks.

My '89's filter is the EASIEST filter I've ever replaced on any vehicle I've ever done it on.

My '93 is the HARDEST filter to replace. You have to be quick on it because the pump has enough prime to keep a constant flow of fuel streaming. I've gotten completely soaked with fuel doing it a few times. Needless to say, I made a few words the first few times of changing it...

Old 09-04-2003, 11:28 PM
Intillzah
Junior User
Fuel filter removal

I used to unplug the inerta switch and then start the truck and let it run untill it would stop (a few seconds and that was it). This would relieve the pressure on the line and you would get a lot less of a fuel shower..

Old 09-05-2003, 06:56 AM
HardScrabble
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel filter removal

I haven't looked for it on my Ford truck, but on my other injected vehicles there is a fuel pressure test port that can be used to relieve pressure, it looks like an A/C fitting or a tire valve.

My filter had the plastic clips (91) and it was easy to change, I didn't think to relieve the pressure first. The plastic clips have a little lock end like a fishhook, it may be even easier to change if you cut off the barb before you remove the clip.

Old 09-07-2003, 12:54 AM
Cheggie
Elder User
Thumbs up Fuel filter removal

Here's a neat trick. I changed the fuel pump this past weekend, and it was very difficult. I have a 95 F-150 with the finger style springs in the fuel fittings. I ended up cutting a half inch section of zip tie and curling it into a ring - it is a little thicker than the plastic tool. When I pushed the zip tie ring into the fitting WITH the tool, the spring released easily. When the fitting released the zip tie popped right out - very nice!!

Old 09-07-2003, 01:44 AM
Vanhecht
Elder User
Fuel filter removal

why did i think that the fuel filter was lifetime?!
guess i read something wrong inmy owners manual...

Quick Reply: Fuel filter removal