Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2003, 07:44 AM
New User

Wladyslaw is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel fuel filter/water separator removal?

Youse Guys are great!!! Wednesday 3 September 2003, 0745

Too bad I didn't discover this web page years ago.

The fuel filter/water separator sits nice and high on above the engine. However, it doesn't come off easily. Is there a simple procedure for replacing the thing.

There is a grey heavy plastic cap like object with "grip fins" on the bottom from which two wires are clipped. One wire in the center and one wire off center. These two wires pull off easily.

Thanks in advance.

Wladyslaw
SW Pennsylvania
1988 F250 Diesel

"If ya're gonna be stupid....ya better be tough"
John Wayne
Old 09-03-2003, 09:01 AM
Elder User

pnose is starting off with a positive reputation.

if you are replacing it use an oil filter wrench to remove the old one but install the new one by hand.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:43 PM
New User

Wladyslaw is starting off with a positive reputation.

pnose,

What function does the finned grey bottom serve?

Wlad
Old 09-03-2003, 01:30 PM
Elder User

thats where your sensor for your water in fuel light is located. also there is a drain **** there to let any water out,the fuel will float on water so you dont have to let much out or you will have trouble re-starting the engine. if you change the filter fill the new one up with clean fuel before screwing it on.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:43 PM
Elder User

oh yes i forgot to tell you that part also un-screws from the filter.

List Mod's & Extras in Gallery
FTE
Old 11-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Junior User

89nolaf250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What is the sensor on top of the water seperator?

I am leaking diesel from the sensor on top of where you screw the fuel filter in. I think I read somewhere that it is an O-ring but I can't seem to figure out how to get at it. It doesnt wiggle at all and I hate to try to pry it and break something.What is the best way to fix my fuel leak?

Unrelated I need to change at least one maybe more of my glow plugs. How can I test to see if they are good, any tips on the removal and installation?

Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 11-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Postmaster

wreckinball is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
for testing, take a test light, and hook it to the positive battery post. Remove the suspect glowplug leads, then touch the test light to the tip of the glow plug terminal. If it lights it is good. As for removal and installation, it takes the right deep 3/8" thin wall socket but that will do the trick. Some of them are tricky but if it is on the right side, you are way better off. The left side is clogged with all sorts of wires and fuel lines. You can get them all though, and if it is hard to get the socket on try just slipping the socket itself on the plug, then snap the ratchet on.
1989(94) F350 ExCab SB 7.3l IDI, C6, 4.10's, D60 front, ATS Turbo with 3" DP and upgraded housing pushin 10psi, 4" straight exhaust and 4" polished magnaflow straight through muffler, 5" stainless magnaflow tip, Full triple pillar, smokin early strokes and eatin rice. 1994 F150 body swap; I own the original FRANKEN-TRUCK(thanks Festus)
Old 11-08-2009, 01:10 AM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckinball View Post
for testing, take a test light, and hook it to the positive battery post. Remove the suspect glowplug leads, then touch the test light to the tip of the glow plug terminal. If it lights it is good. As for removal and installation, it takes the right deep 3/8" thin wall socket but that will do the trick. Some of them are tricky but if it is on the right side, you are way better off. The left side is clogged with all sorts of wires and fuel lines. You can get them all though, and if it is hard to get the socket on try just slipping the socket itself on the plug, then snap the ratchet on.
Thanks! I will do it in the morning. I am new to the forum and I probably should have just started my own thread to get more answers. I have quite a few things that I need to do with my truck but first I'd like to make sure its not leaking fuel or water and that it starts. So far it starts. I'm working on the fuel and water situations. I am going to start a new thread now and see if I can't just get a gazillion things answered related to my truck.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Post Fiend

Dave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to behold
The wire attached to the top of the filter header is for the fuel heater.

To remove it you have to remove the header, then go at it from the underside.
Large nut around the filter mounting pipe comes off, the the heater will pull down and the wire to the connector can be seen.
Push the connector down into the header.

Two O rings if I remember right, but I don't remember the size.

"I dig dirt"

FTE Guidelines

FTE Moderator IDI diesel forum

WV Chapter Member
Old 11-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle View Post
The wire attached to the top of the filter header is for the fuel heater.

To remove it you have to remove the header, then go at it from the underside.
Large nut around the filter mounting pipe comes off, the the heater will pull down and the wire to the connector can be seen.
Push the connector down into the header.

Two O rings if I remember right, but I don't remember the size.
I'm not sure what you mean by push the connector down into the header but I bet by the time I get there it will be apparent. Thanks for the follow up info, I am getting to work on the leak in just a second.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Post Fiend

Dave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to beholdDave Sponaugle is a splendid one to behold
When you push it down, you will be pushing it into the filter header, not pulling it out the top.

"I dig dirt"

FTE Guidelines

FTE Moderator IDI diesel forum

WV Chapter Member
Old 11-08-2009, 12:59 PM