S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

73 or 74 F150 shortbed fleetside

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 08:27 PM
tonynobaloney
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 73 or 74 F150 shortbed fleetside

I can buy a 74 F100 or F150 I'm not sure yet. It's been sitting for a while. Body and cab are rough but not too bad. Has a v8. Six foot bed fleetside. Lady said make an offer. Is it a model worth restoring?

Old 09-01-2003, 02:15 AM
xman7896
Senior User

can you snap some photos of it, that would help us help you better

Old 09-01-2003, 03:03 AM
DailyDriver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by tonynobaloney
Lady said make an offer. Is it a model worth restoring?
Hello tonynobaloney. Welcome to FTE!

To be honest, I don't know too much about the collector value of old Ford iron. Here's a few of my thoughts. A mid '70's truck probably doesn't have much collector value unless it's some special edition or something. But they can be restored to prestine condition with maybe a few mod's like custom wheels, paint and a few engine mod's to bring out some extra ponies. When done right, these trucks make excelent daily drivers and can turn some heads when cruising. Look in the galleries on this site of the trucks people here have restored and use as daily drivers. There are some nice looking '70's trucks. So is it worth it?

It might be if the price is right. It all depends on what you want. If it were me, I would ask myself these questions.

Is it a model that I've been looking for or am I settling for what I can get?

Do I want a work truck, a nice looking street machine, daily driver, or a mild custom street rod?

Does the engine displacement suit my needs?

Would I be better off buying a truck that already answers these questions or do I want to do the work myself?

Do I have a place to work on the truck and have the time, skills and tools necessary to take on a project like this from start to finish?

Look at the trucks potentional. If your willing to spend the money anything is possible. Look in the classifide ads in the news paper for similar trucks and see what the asking price is to give you an idea of what they go for in your area. Also consider what kind of shape the truck is in. Once you have an idea it may help you to come up with an offer if you decide it's worth it and want take on this project.

Sometimes when a person says "make me an offer", they don't know how much it's worth or what to ask for it. Or they might just want to get rid of it. If it were me and I decided I wanted the truck, I'd offer her a ridiculously low price and gauge her reaction. You might be suprised. Good luck.

Last edited by DailyDriver; 09-01-2003 at 03:12 AM.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:40 PM
tonynobaloney
New User

Thank you all for your thoughts on the Ford truck.
I too think this truck with the right combo of enjine,paint and tires could be a functional good looking driver with some pep.
Even if it's not a rare model I think I can get it cheap enough that it will still retain the value of any improvements. The fact that is is now smog exempt will allow alot of latitude in enjine choice. The biggest problem would be the paint and bodywork.(stock two tone or fancy solid color?) I'll take pictures and post them.
Again thanks for the imput.

Last edited by tonynobaloney; 09-01-2003 at 11:50 PM.