Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #61  
Old 05-04-2010, 04:25 PM
roLLitup roLLitup is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4
roLLitup is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the info wolfy. Unhooked and plugged the EGR hose yesterday evening and did not have any problem this morning leaving for work... but it doesn't happen every day anyway (did yours happen every morning or just sometimes?). I'll give it several days and see if my problem persists. If it does I'll put your advice to work and change the cap/rotor and see if that helps. Even if this does not fix my problem and I have to move on to the cap/rotor, the truck runs noticeably smoother, even idles a lot smoother, by removing and plugging the EGR hose.

A mech friend at work today seems to agree about cap/rotor. He expects there's moisture in the cap (eg. a cracked cap - which he said will probably be to small to see) and it only lasts a few minutes in the morning because the engine heat dries it out quickly after its running. After he mentioned that, it struck me that yesterday was the worst the problem has ever been and the night before we had near monsoon rains and flooding here in Ky. He says that's probably why it doesn't happen every day (there needs to be enough moisture in the air to cause the problem).

I would really love to get this problem fixed. I'll let you know what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 05-05-2010, 09:39 AM
wolfy's Avatar
wolfy wolfy is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 150
wolfy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roLLitup View Post
Thanks for the info wolfy. Unhooked and plugged the EGR hose yesterday evening and did not have any problem this morning leaving for work... but it doesn't happen every day anyway (did yours happen every morning or just sometimes?). I'll give it several days and see if my problem persists. If it does I'll put your advice to work and change the cap/rotor and see if that helps. Even if this does not fix my problem and I have to move on to the cap/rotor, the truck runs noticeably smoother, even idles a lot smoother, by removing and plugging the EGR hose.

A mech friend at work today seems to agree about cap/rotor. He expects there's moisture in the cap (eg. a cracked cap - which he said will probably be to small to see) and it only lasts a few minutes in the morning because the engine heat dries it out quickly after its running. After he mentioned that, it struck me that yesterday was the worst the problem has ever been and the night before we had near monsoon rains and flooding here in Ky. He says that's probably why it doesn't happen every day (there needs to be enough moisture in the air to cause the problem).

I would really love to get this problem fixed. I'll let you know what happens.
Hey bud no problem. Your problem sounds identical to mine no joke!!! It was sometimes not every morning. And it was way way worse if it was high humidity or especially after it rains. And yes it was mostly in the morning!

I would for sure check into this. the cap and rotor are fairly cheap. See how much the parts are from FORD. Then see how much they are from Napa or ORielly's I have had nothing but trouble from the cheap junk from AutoZone. Just make sure its made in the USA. Like I said that Autozone junk lasted a few thousand miles. The parts I got from ORielly's were like night and day difference from the Autozone junk. My point in the rambling is don't get the cheap stuff. Spend the extra 5 bucks or so and get the better parts. Or you will more then likely be replacing the cheap stuff again soon.

Let me know how it turns out for ya. Oh and a look inside the cap is free. I bet its corroded and cooked in there. Mine sure was!!!
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05-19-2010, 04:34 PM
wolfy's Avatar
wolfy wolfy is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 150
wolfy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any updates on this???
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-22-2010, 05:05 AM
blueoval48 blueoval48 is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: spruce pine,northcarolina
Posts: 1
blueoval48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exclamation

ive got a 93 4.9 5speed with 206,000 that started missin an jumpin done all of this an didnt help so i got to pullin plug wires off an no.2 cly.is not fireing got fire on the wire so could it be the injector or a value dont know really stumped now!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06-01-2010, 06:40 PM
roLLitup roLLitup is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4
roLLitup is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry for the long absence wolfy, had to handle a couple of unexpected family issues... anyway...

You were correct that this would not solve my problem as it has happened several more times over the last few weeks (since trying the EGR fix). Today, I replaced the distributor cap and rotor button (with OEM Motorcraft parts). I cannot tell if anything is wrong with the old cap and rotor button by looking at it - I'm no mechanic - not even almost - but It doesn't look real dirty or anything, though the metal tips in the cap look somewhat worn/eaten away and the rotor button had a bit of black sludgy powder right on top of the metal point. I did not see any corrosion or burnt places.

I will watch closely over the next several days as we are scheduled to get some rain this week. I'll post back and let you know, hopefully, a lot sooner this time.

Last edited by roLLitup; 06-01-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 06-01-2010, 10:11 PM
wolfy's Avatar
wolfy wolfy is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 150
wolfy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roLLitup View Post
Sorry for the long absence wolfy, had to handle a couple of unexpected family issues... anyway...

You were correct that this would not solve my problem as it has happened several more times over the last few weeks (since trying the EGR fix). Today, I replaced the distributor cap and rotor button (with OEM Motorcraft parts). I cannot tell if anything is wrong with the old cap and rotor button by looking at it - I'm no mechanic - not even almost - but It doesn't look real dirty or anything, though the metal tips in the cap look somewhat worn/eaten away and the rotor button had a bit of black sludgy powder right on top of the metal point. I did not see any corrosion or burnt places.

I will watch closely over the next several days as we are scheduled to get some rain this week. I'll post back and let you know, hopefully, a lot sooner this time.

Hey no biggie!, just wondering if you got your problem fixed! Hope all is well with your family. Sounds like you are more of a mechanic then you think. if you can do this rotor and dist cap, then you are doing pretty good. From what you have described, that sounds like that could be the culprit. Mine also had that black sludgy powder on it.

Also when was the last time you did a spark plug change? And a spark plug wire change? You can at least change the plug wires! If you are not comfortable doing the plugs, then have a buddy that knows how help you out, or go to a local mechanic and get some quotes for them.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 06-09-2010, 07:37 AM
roLLitup roLLitup is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4
roLLitup is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have not had any problems since changing the cap and rotor. I believe the problem is solved - its been almost ten days. Appreciate the help wolfy.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 AM
wolfy's Avatar
wolfy wolfy is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 150
wolfy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roLLitup View Post
Have not had any problems since changing the cap and rotor. I believe the problem is solved - its been almost ten days. Appreciate the help wolfy.
awesome man!!! glad you got it fixed. I was lucky enough to have the same problem, hence why i actually knew how to fix it! Glad its all worked out for ya
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 06-28-2010, 06:52 AM
topdogcustoms topdogcustoms is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tempe,AZ
Posts: 94
topdogcustoms is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bump this is a good read
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 06-28-2010, 12:33 PM
topdogcustoms topdogcustoms is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tempe,AZ
Posts: 94
topdogcustoms is starting off with a positive reputation.
i did this mornibg but didnt have time to disconnect the battery it seems like its running better but i think its getting hotter faster maybe its just me but i think my mileage went up and i will post the results
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 09-10-2010, 11:55 AM
wolfy's Avatar
wolfy wolfy is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 150
wolfy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdogcustoms View Post
i did this mornibg but didnt have time to disconnect the battery it seems like its running better but i think its getting hotter faster maybe its just me but i think my mileage went up and i will post the results
is your problem still gone? This thread is great, seems to have helped out a lot of people
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 10-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Davis Davis is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8
Davis is starting off with a positive reputation.
I disconnected the EGR hose on my 1990 6 cylinder and now the stumble I have been chasing forever is gone. I was thinking that disconnecting the EGR make the mixture richer, and is easier to burn. By disconnecting the EGR is just covering up some other problem?
Some of you talk about a restrictor for the EGR, is this just a block off plate?
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 10-20-2010, 04:43 AM
jrodtaclet jrodtaclet is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 33
jrodtaclet is starting off with a positive reputation.
Davis

Hey Davis what is the EHG hose? thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 10-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Davis Davis is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8
Davis is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodtaclet View Post
Hey Davis what is the EHG hose? thanks.
Sorry I made a mistake it is the EGR hose.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 10-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Davis Davis is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8
Davis is starting off with a positive reputation.
So I pulled the hose off the EGR and it runs great. Has anyone replaced the EGR and it still ran great?
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:27 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need quick help FordTruckEnthusaist 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 42 12-02-2013 09:57 PM
Cruise Control dead. Replaced almost everything and still no cruise? tigers2007 Super Duty & Heavy Duty 16 11-17-2012 05:49 PM
Owners of Insite CTS thoughts. Hdslider 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 5 02-28-2012 04:07 PM
can fuel injector(s) stick open? 95F150Guy 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 3 01-31-2011 01:48 PM
Engine revs up during shifts Silver Streak 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 9 05-29-2007 01:35 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300

Tags
49, 49l, 89, 95, bad, bucking, cruising, cutting, egr, f150, ford, misses, missing, missingbucking, ranger, symptoms

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup