Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2014, 03:50 PM
New User

AltonHargrave is starting off with a positive reputation.
My truck did this bucking for years. It is a 1992 F150 5.0L with automatic transmission. It turned out to be transmission shudder. It felt like it was going over railroad tracks sometimes. This is caused by old transmission fluid and is easily remedied by changing at least most of the fluid like I did in a filter change or buying one of the products out there that cures this. I think one of the most talked about is Dr Tranny's Shudder Cure. You just run it down the dipstick tube and there you go.

Don't try drinking this on a cold day. It is poisonous I am sure.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:30 PM
New User

bobschultz is starting off with a positive reputation.
I should have mentioned that mine is a 5 speed. The bucking is at low rpm's like some of the others but I have changed my trans fluid awhile back.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:41 PM
New User

AltonHargrave is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a 1988 F150 with the 4.9L, a few years back and it started jerking. It turned out to be a bad TPS, throttle position switch.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:09 AM
New User

spike150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi I'm new to this site. But I have a little helpful advice . I too have had this same problem and tryed the EGR fix. This fix for me took care of the issue at the time but only to pop back up 6 months later. Now the truck has a start n stall problem. This only masks a deeper issue. Truck is a 91 f150 with 4.9l l6 and e4od auto trans
Old 09-01-2014, 03:38 AM
New User

Need some help
My 91ford f150 4.9l l6 still has starting issues and I'm at ropes end here. It will start right up run perfect for 3-5 sec and then it sputters and dies. I can keep it running by fluttering the gas pedal a little.
This is what I've done so far:

New part include:
Complete distributor (brand is WPS)
Plugs ,wires + new coil
New o2 sensor
New MAP sensor
Starter and solenoid
(Long story timing was a little off)

Also checked fuel pressure (koeo 49psi koer 50psi and for unhooked 60 psi

Hope someone can help me out Thanks for the help in advance
Old 11-18-2014, 12:26 PM
New User

Mike8087 is starting off with a positive reputation.
This truck I bought 1990 F150 4x4 has been setting for 3 years. I rebuilt the engine. I have tried every thing I can on my F150 300 6. New ideal air control valve, new idle control, plug and wires, disturber cap and rotor button. Throttle body gasket was broken and replaced it too. I took out every injector and cleaned them. I have a jerking and jumping in it about 1200 rmp driving me nuts mash it on down and it runs fine. It will idle some times and die some times. My smog pump locked up too. It was doing all this before the smog pump locked up. I will try plugging the egr line to see what happens. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:55 PM
New User

sherLocke9 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just put a new rebuilt 300 6 engine in my truck. 91 f-150 w/auto e4od trans. No smog in head. I've been having this same problem described here, the hesitation and jumping at 1/8-1/4 throttle, in all gears including reverse, smoothing out once opened up more. The old engine never did this, and I'm using all the same parts and sensors and stuff, and all brand new Motorcraft basic tune-up items (cap, rotor, wires, plugs, fuel and air filter, PCV valve). So it's been driving me crazy! When I unhook and plug up the vacuum line operating the EGR, the truck runs great! Pulls very smooth! But...

Before I go and make this restricter plate for the EGR valve, I'm wondering if the problem doesn't lie elsewhere, and the plate is a band-aid fix. It seems like many of you have had success with this modification, and for many thousands of trouble-free miles, but I'm still curious because there is something nobody has mentioned here - there is a solenoid/regulator between the vacuum tree on the intake manifold and the EGR valve vacuum tube - this solenoid/regulator is right below the EGR valve bolted to the driver's side of the valve cover. There are two of these here actually, and I'm referring to the one closer to the front of the engine. I am guessing (maybe I'm wrong) that this regulates vacuum strength reaching the EGR, so that the EGR can open and close by degrees, in response to engine needs. Or, does the natural variation in engine vacuum already do this, and this so-called solenoid thingy monitors this variation for the EEC for some other tangential reason? Could this be faulty and cause this trouble that we're all experiencing? When I was tearing my old engine down I noticed that this solenoid/regulator thing (I don't know what else to call it) was extremely brittle, and the wires coming into it are stuck in there, the plastic housing of the electrical connector shattering to pieces when I tried unplugging it. It's almost as if it got way too hot at some point, or is maybe just brittle with age. Since the wires seemed solid I let it be.

So who can weigh in on this thing? What does it do exactly? Could it be to blame? It is Ford part # FOTZ95459A, if that helps anybody understand what I'm referring to. I've heard it referred to as the TAB or TAD solenoid, and the Ford parts guy I spoke to on the phone called it the EVR solenoid, and said not every EFI engine has one. What is this thing? It clearly is related to the EGR valve, as the vacuum line controlling the EGR valve originates from it.

I'd really like to know more about all of this. I wouldn't be shocked, but I find it hard to believe that Ford would have incorrectly designed something as fundamental as an EGR system, and that restricting the EGR's opening into the intake is the best solution, even if it does work well and long.

Thanks ya'll for this great thread. It's got me looking in the right places! I'd be taking shots in the dark without all this info here.

-Paul
Old 12-09-2014, 09:15 PM
Senior User

Randle is starting off with a positive reputation.
If disabling the EGR smoothed the engine out, It's probably in the computer. There is three condensers in the computer that can go bad, most of the time you can visibly see a rupture or leak in them. They can be changed out if they haven't messed the board up. Making a restricter plate is just putting a bandaid on the real problem.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Senior User

ZarK-eh is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherLocke9 View Post
So who can weigh in on this thing? What does it do exactly? Could it be to blame? It is Ford part # FOTZ95459A, if that helps anybody understand what I'm referring to. I've heard it referred to as the TAB or TAD solenoid, and the Ford parts guy I spoke to on the phone called it the EVR solenoid, and said not every EFI engine has one. What is this thing? It clearly is related to the EGR valve, as the vacuum line controlling the EGR valve originates from it.

-Paul
I believe those are used by the computer to activate the EGR and whatever else the computer controls. Electrical signal goes to it, and then it vents to atmosphere or supplies vacuum to whatever it controls (not sure of complete operation).

I would head to the junkyard and grab some of those connectors to replace them. They are not hard to pull apart. Pick out the red lock, and pick the lever thingie and then pull the wire out the back. maybe grab the solenoid(s) as well in case they are faulty, and any vacuum lines too.

I installed an aftermarket EFI on my 4.9l '78, and have investigated some of these as I do want to add the EGR function to my engine. EGR keeps the combustion process cool enough to prevent the nitrogen in the air from combining with oxygen. And on that matter, adding a Catalytic convertor too! ... yeah I'm a greenie

Last edited by ZarK-eh; 12-10-2014 at 09:54 AM. Reason: add bit about junkyard for spare parts
Old 12-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Senior User

ZarK-eh is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey, while browsing youtube, I found this!

I think your on to something about EGR
Old 12-10-2014, 12:43 PM
New User

if disabling the EGR valve is smoothing it out I would lean towards a fuel delivery problem start looking towards injectors I dealt with a similar issue with light hesitation and really bad bucking when you got on the gas pedal I put some injectors its from a 94 into into my 91 and it solve the whole problem just some food for thought.

and yes restrictor plate is just a band aid covers up the real underlying problem the capacitors in the computer there are problems with them but if they're not ruptured and they're not leaking they sould be fine

the solenoid you're talking about is a DPFE valve it allows the computer to control how much vacuum is applied to the EGR valve and make it toward open accordingly

also look at throttle position sensor and wiring going to it. It smoothing out when you give it more gas could mean you have a dead spot in the sensor.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:36 AM
New User

sherLocke9 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Zark-eh, nice find on the video.

I went ahead and made a restriction plate for the EGR as a temporary solution. I can at least drive the thing for now, and it doesn't have spark knock anymore - it was doing that too, I forgot to mention. It drives and sounds great now! I used a 5/32" hole. I'm still wanting to get to the very bottom of this, especially if it's going to affect fuel efficiency. If I find anything helpful I'll update ya'll.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:36 AM