To slide or not to slide, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 04:12 PM
Siriustoo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To slide or not to slide, that is the question

I've read 100's of posts on hitches on his forum.

I have a 2017 F-350 6.7 CC SRW 6.75' box. I just bought a 2017 Montana 3710 fifth wheel.

I'm tying to decide between the B&W Companion without slider and the Demco Autoslide.

To help me make the decision, I'm wondering if anyone who has a late model Montana 37X0 and a short box F-350 has measured the maximum turning angle with the B&W companion on the Ford factory fifth wheel prep.

The main drawback to the Demco is the weight... hard to remove.

Regards, Blair

Old 03-29-2017, 04:55 PM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can answer your questions but you did read the post about the problems another member is having with his Montana, didn't you?

Old 03-29-2017, 05:38 PM
Siriustoo
Senior User
I read almost all 30 pages. And 100's more on other forums. I went through the forums of all the mid range fifth wheels. GD, Montana, Bighorn.... Unfortunately they almost all use the Lippert frame.
If I had a 450 I would probably have gone with a brand with a heavier frame. It's all about trade offs.
I hired an independent mechanic who spent two hours going through the RV. He checked the welds. I looked at them myself. I would have failed machine shop if my welds looked like those, however it was cosmetic and not structural. The only really good RV's were the ones built pre 2009, or the ones in the $100+ range weighing 18,000lbs or more.
We found about 9 minor problems with the RV most of which would hopefully have been corrected with the PDI. If not they will now. Lots of caulking issues which would cause big problems down the road if not fixed.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:43 PM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Good deal. 😀

Old 03-29-2017, 06:14 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
The way to make your decision is go price a back window also remember you won't always be on level ground.

Denny

Old 03-29-2017, 06:28 PM
kansas gary
Senior User
I went with the Demco Hijacker autoslide. Yes it is heavy and big but I use my engine hoist to remove it and place it on a pallet on wheels to move it around the garage when its not in my truck.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:21 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
Most people do not realize that the Companion is fully adjustable, not only in height, but front to rear as well. I've now installed seven B&W hitches, most of them using the TurnoverBall as a base, and 3 of them being short beds. I usually set them up with the adjustments all the way up and all the way rearward to enable them to get the RV home without having to adjust it at the dealer. And so far, not a single one has been changed. The shortbeds have enough clearance nowadays with the clipped corners of the 5ers. That being said, some will say that putting the hitch all the way to the rear, which puts the kingpin behind the rear axle, is really rough on the truck. Remember that the actual mount to the truck is dead over the rear axle and has really no effect on it. My partner has a '04 F250 SB CC that she pulls her '07 Montana with, with the set up as I described, and it's never come anywhere close to hitting. Sure, I've seen people turn the over 90* and hit the cab, but you are not really turning the rig then, you are pushing it. That's the great thing about the B&W is that it is completely adjustable. I won't have any other hitch.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:21 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
...and there is always using the Anderson Ultimate hitch which can be used for long OR short beds by turning it around . It is also MUCH less expensive.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:09 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Blair, if you have read 100's of posts on this forum regarding hitches, you know my opinion of the Andersen.

My .02 on your decision is this.

There are a lot of variables when choosing the proper hitch for a situation. The truck, the trailer and the hitch each have an integral part in the decision. I would suggest you either try to rent or borrow a 5th wheel hitch that is fixed (non-slide) and do a test pull of the trailer with a spotter so you can know your limits.

If you are not happy with the limits of the fixed hitch, go to the slider or the AUH.

I went with the AUH on a short bed truck and know 100% I made the right call. I have no problems making near 90 degree turns, moving the hitch if needed and hooking up.

I for one was not going to get a slider, I was going to get a sidewinder until I saw the AUH.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:53 AM
bikerman5345
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a standard B&W companion on mine no slider. I have checked my clearances and i can do a 90 without issue, although i really prefer to stay away from those stresses on truck and trailer. I have it at least 6 Inches of clearance from the bed rails and do not contact the sides when in full turn. I had the same concerns about mine and a very good price helped pursued me into trying the standard companion. And it works great. I have been over some pretty steep terrain with this thing and i have no clearance issues while backing. also the non slider is a lot lighter to remove and install in the truck.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:43 AM
Siriustoo
Senior User
Thanks Sous. When I looked at the Anderson, it did not appear to have the mounts for the Ford factory mount. On further examination now I understand it sits on the gooseneck ball for the factory hitch. I am severely weight challenged with a SRW F-350 with a capacity of 3418 and a theoretical pin weight of 2530, so the light weight of the AU is very appealing. I'll add that to my list.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:45 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 902 Likes on 327 Posts
Originally Posted by kansas gary
I went with the Demco Hijacker autoslide. Yes it is heavy and big but I use my engine hoist to remove it and place it on a pallet on wheels to move it around the garage when its not in my truck.
same hitch works well for me. I lift it with a cheap harbor freight chain hoist two time a year.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:37 AM
Siriustoo
Senior User
Based on the Montana problem thread where they wanted to know what hitch he was using, I sent an email to Montana to make sure that the Andersen Ultimate hitch was ok. They asked for the VIN # which I provided on Thursday. Waiting for a response.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:04 PM
REPO.
Senior User
I was told I needed a slider hitch when I purchased my Ram mega cab dually. 2 trucks and 3 different 5th wheels later, I have yet to ever use the slider option yet. If I turn 90 degrees, of course it will hit, but your going to be bending trailer axles turning that sharp anyway. Drive smart, know your limits, and plan your parking and you really shouldn't need it.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:51 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Originally Posted by REPO.
I was told I needed a slider hitch when I purchased my Ram mega cab dually. 2 trucks and 3 different 5th wheels later, I have yet to ever use the slider option yet. If I turn 90 degrees, of course it will hit, but your going to be bending trailer axles turning that sharp anyway. Drive smart, know your limits, and plan your parking and you really shouldn't need it.
How do you figure that the axles are going to bend. Tires are not directional they will turn/ give some in the turns.
Please explain how the axles are going to bend.

Quick Reply: To slide or not to slide, that is the question