1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Let's see if I can get a better response here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 06:37 AM
tormentedfaith
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's see if I can get a better response here!

hello, I've recently purchased my first diesel.
An 01 7.3 with 321k miles. It has a massive amount of service records with it and is pretty clean interior is in awesome shape.

i have been having some motor issues though. I think I need new glowplugs and possibly a new GPR.

but for now. I can't wrap my head around this sound that it is making. I can't tell if it's a major knock, exhaust sound, or just a knocking injector. Any help would be appreciated the longer (30 some odd second video shows it more in my opinion. You kind of have to listen close as it's hard to hear) if anyone can help me out, that would be great. I'm not sure if I'm just paranoid or what.
First video sounds the best I think. At the end you can also hear it a little better.

i have posted this on some other forums but haven't got much of a response. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/Xlq7BDrWQ3k

https://youtu.be/unWnXy8H2hA

Old 03-29-2017, 07:46 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
First of all, let me welcome you to the forum.

You don't know me from Adam, but I'm the guy who freaks out if the truck makes a hiccup sound. Listening to your video, I can't hear anything unusual - except possibly an exhaust leak. That's not to say you're hearing things... your camera microphone has only so much capability and my computer speakers aren't from a Klipsch theater surround sound system. It's also very possible your microphone placement sabotaged your efforts - getting that close to a 7.3L with HEUI injectors is going to get drowned out with a lot of natural "Ford" noise. I mention this because when I was new to diesels, I had to learn that the platform I chose (7.3L DI) is quite possibly the biggest rattle in the crib. It is noisy, and the sounds change with the weather, your driving patterns, the fluids you put in it, and the planet alignment. There are things you can do to dial down the decibels... a bit... some more effective than others.

That said... let me say that noises that would have you thinking the engine's going to fling fragments through the fenders could be nothing more than an injector waking up a little cranky... or some air in your fuel. I'll share a some videos of my truck going through (and surviving) some issues....

Loose injectors (fog bank maker):

Noisy injectors:

Noisy injector again:

Old 03-29-2017, 07:51 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I am in no way an expert on this but in Tugly's video I can hear the knock. I'm thinking that tormentedfaith's truck sounds like mine and I have seen no symptoms of a problem with mine.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:18 AM
tormentedfaith
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tugly
First of all, let me welcome you to the forum.

You don't know me from Adam, but I'm the guy who freaks out if the truck makes a hiccup sound. Listening to your video, I can't hear anything unusual - except possibly an exhaust leak. That's not to say you're hearing things... your camera microphone has only so much capability and my computer speakers aren't from a Klipsch theater surround sound system. It's also very possible your microphone placement sabotaged your efforts - getting that close to a 7.3L with HEUI injectors is going to get drowned out with a lot of natural "Ford" noise. I mention this because when I was new to diesels, I had to learn that the platform I chose (7.3L DI) is quite possibly the biggest rattle in the crib. It is noisy, and the sounds change with the weather, your driving patterns, the fluids you put in it, and the planet alignment. There are things you can do to dial down the decibels... a bit... some more effective than others.

That said... let me say that noises that would have you thinking the engine's going to fling fragments through the fenders could be nothing more than an injector waking up a little cranky... or some air in your fuel. I'll share a some videos of my truck going through (and surviving) some issues....

Loose injectors (fog bank maker):

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=-VKlPMn6x6U

Noisy injectors:

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=bzx1G6URdqE

Noisy injector again:

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=xoDAD0YPCes

tugly you rock fixed my paranoia that's the noise mine makes thanks a ton!

Old 03-29-2017, 08:22 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Welcome to FTE, and congrats on your newly acquired 7.3 Ford!

You are in the right place, as there are a number of guys here who can help diagnose your situation and give you reliable advice for how to proceed with both solid diagnosis and "fit for your goals" solutions.

WOW... I got interrupted while typing my reply, and two of those guys chimed in before I could finish!!

You see... you ARE in the right place!!

Old 03-29-2017, 01:19 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Your truck sounds perfectly healthy to me. I laugh inside when a vendor claims how their product will "quiet a 7.3L right down". The only time mine is quiet is when it's not running.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:12 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I was going to listen (a 2001 owner too) but your links do not connect.
Welcome to the FTE team.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:25 PM
tormentedfaith
Freshman User
Originally Posted by dn29626
I was going to listen (a 2001 owner too) but your links do not connect.
Welcome to the FTE team.

yeah sorry I'm new to this whole thing, I'm not sure how to make them clickable you just have to copy and paste them sorry :/

Old 03-29-2017, 05:44 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Your vids sound very normal to me.

Have you done any mods to it? Or has the previous owner?

Stewart

Old 03-29-2017, 06:33 PM
tormentedfaith
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Your vids sound very normal to me.

Have you done any mods to it? Or has the previous owner?

Stewart
it has an airaid intake, full 4inch exhaust turbo back. And a tuner (edge) mostly just for gauges I've never put it on anything more than the tow tune.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:44 PM
tormentedfaith
Freshman User
Here is another video of the sound.

https://youtu.be/LzUyghhJOqI

Old 03-29-2017, 06:44 PM
tormentedfaith
Freshman User
Old 03-29-2017, 07:37 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
I've heard that noise before and it's most likely an injector, even if it's working properly it might have a knock to it, the fix a new injector.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:49 PM
tormentedfaith
Freshman User
Yeah, I think that's probably my issue... i was going to take it to work today. After I started it and let it warm up. I kinda revved it up to 1600rpm I noticed a little white smoke. But it doesn't haze or anything it's not a horrible amount. I got down the road and turned around and went home to park it and took my car instead because when I got to the stop sign at the end of my road I could feel it missing. Not horrible but you can feel and hear it... so I guess I'm going to have to buy new injectors. I'll start with fuel. The screen and the filter.

i just changed the oil. I put some 2 stroke oil in the fuel to try and help with the knock (it didn't help) I didn't add much only about 8oz to a full tank. So I guess we'll see...

Old 03-30-2017, 09:04 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Don't put anything in the crank case but oil.

If you have 321k on the original injectors, they've lead a good long life. Some people get more out of them, but just to get them that far you've got to change the oil regularly and keep up on all the maintenance. That says a lot for the condition of the motor.

Mine had 185k on it when I put new injectors in mine. The o-rings were torn up on most of them, and I had at least one cup that wasn't installed right. Yours probably isn't in as good of shape as mine because of the miles.

It would be helpful to know what work has been done on it, especially related to the injectors though.

Quick Reply: Let's see if I can get a better response here!