6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Shell Rotella ELC coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 02:11 PM
fordtruckrodder
Tuned
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Shell Rotella ELC coolant

Anyone ever use Shell Rotella ELC in their 6.0? I am in the process of flushing my coolant system and was thinking of replacing the Ford Gold with Shell Rotella ELC. Any feedback on prior experience with this product would be appreciated

Old 03-27-2017, 03:03 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordtruckrodder
Anyone ever use Shell Rotella ELC in their 6.0? I am in the process of flushing my coolant system and was thinking of replacing the Ford Gold with Shell Rotella ELC. Any feedback on prior experience with this product would be appreciated

If you google "ELC 6.0" plenty of info will come up. I used the CAT EC-1, and so far I am happy with. But I just did my flush and change to EC-1 two weeks ago.

Unfortunately I don't have any feed back on the Shell version. As long as it meet's CAT EC-1 standards then your good.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:15 PM
Bumblebee04
Senior User
Been a week or two since the last coolant thread was started. Sorry but we've beat this dead horse way too much here in the 6.0 section.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:35 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Shell Rotella ELC coolant..... can we get an amen?

Old 03-27-2017, 05:59 PM
Sullid01
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have used the CAT ELC for many years. Recently I switched to the Zerex ELC concentrate since amazon sells it. Usually it is really cheap and it is by far the most convenient way for me to get the concentrate.
Amazon Amazon

I once got it for $14ish a gallon which is amazing. $18 is more the norm. They also sell 50/50 if that is what you want, but it costs almost as much. As far as I can tell, all ELC coolants that meet the CAT EC-1 designation are going to work the same in your engine. Just make sure you flush all the gold out of there properly first. I used restore and vc-9 when I did it along with about 30gal of distilled water.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:10 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Shell Rotella ELC coolant..... can we get an amen?
A-MEN!!! AMEN, AMEN!!!

I figured why not beat the amen while we are beating the horse... Why do you guys have to keep bringing that up?! Some of us horse owners are extremely sensitive...

Old 03-27-2017, 06:16 PM
Bumblebee04
Senior User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
A-MEN!!! AMEN, AMEN!!!

I figured why not beat the amen while we are beating the horse... Why do you guys have to keep bringing that up?! Some of us horse owners are extremely sensitive...
LoL!
Don't mess with the horse!

Old 03-27-2017, 10:25 PM
TxMav
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes. Just dont get the nitrite free (NF). They are labeled very similarly. But one is NF. (sorry about the huge pics. don't know how to shrink them down).

Old 03-28-2017, 12:04 PM
fordtruckrodder
Tuned
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by TxMav
Yes. Just dont get the nitrite free (NF). They are labeled very similarly. But one is NF. (sorry about the huge pics. don't know how to shrink them down).

I did get the one that is not Nitrite free. I have the system completely clean and don't want to have to do it again until it's time.

Thanks.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:00 PM
kidoo
Elder User
It gets confusing with all the ELC coolant from Rotella. The only one approved for CAt EC1 is Rotella ELC, with nitrite. If I cannot find Rotella ELC, what could I use to mix with my Red Rotella ELC coolant in my truck? I think they have only pre-mix ELC at Walmart.

I checked Rotella Web site: NOTE (Yellow coolant) :
Shell ROTELLA® Ultra ELC AFC – Designed for high temperature operation in high EGR engines, this yellow AFC is a hybrid extended life AFC, also nitrite free.

Next they say, NOTE: (RED coolant) (The lastest trend in Diesel):
Shell ROTELLA® ELC Nitrite Free Coolants – A high quality, extended life, nitrite free antifreeze/coolant (AFC) designed to meet the latest trend in commercial and diesel engines away from nitrited AFC. Nitrite free AFC improves protection of aluminum heat exchangers (radiators and heater cores). Shell ROTELLA® ELC NF AFC is colored red to match many ELCs in the market today and based on the proven Shell ROTELLA® ELC AFC technology.

Shell ROTELLA® ELC NF (Nitrite-Free) is ideal for mixed fleets because it is designed for use in commercial trucks, light duty trucks, and automobiles – including many electric and hybrid vehicles. Always follow the vehicle owner’s manual.

Shell ROTELLA® ELC AFC – A premium, nitrited ELC in service as factory fill and service fill for over 15 years in a wide variety of engines and equipment. The nitrite ELC hybrid chemistry meets Caterpillar EC-1 requirements.

Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Coolant-Antifreeze | Shell ROTELLA®

Old 08-13-2017, 09:53 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Just happened to read an older post by Mike (bismic) over on one of the other places.
Looks like the yellow stuff is also good. I sort of bugged out when I looked in the bottle
and did not see red. Spent all weekend flushing the new truck and did not want t ouse
the wrong stuff.

Last edited by Yahiko; 09-24-2017 at 12:52 AM. Reason: OOPS Typo.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:01 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
I've been using the Rotella ELC for more than a year now, seems to be just fine. In my area, Tractor Supply stocks the concentrate at a decent price. Skip the Ultra stuff, it's basically the same as Ford Gold (a HOAT- Hybrid Organic Acid Techonolgy). I don't know much about the impact of nitrates, the origonal idea was to get away from silicates. They were suspected of dropping out of suspension in the really high temps inside the EGR cooler and sticking in the oil cooler. Rotella ELC is good.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:11 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
I've been using the Rotella ELC for more than a year now, seems to be just fine. In my area, Tractor Supply stocks the concentrate at a decent price. Skip the Ultra stuff, it's basically the same as Ford Gold (a HOAT- Hybrid Organic Acid Techonolgy). I don't know much about the impact of nitrates, the origonal idea was to get away from silicates. They were suspected of dropping out of suspension in the really high temps inside the EGR cooler and sticking in the oil cooler. Rotella ELC is good.
Going to have to disagree a little .....

per Shell product brochure, The Ultra is a true Extended Life Coolant. Ford Gold is not. The Ultra is an OAT, not a HOAT. It is silicate free (<10 ppm allows to be called silicate free) and nitrite free (god? bad? who knows?). It meets the CAT EC-1 spec. Ford Gold does not.

http://rotella.shell.com/products/an...ra-elc-tds.pdf

Is it necessary (or even is it beneficial)?? That is another question altogether! All I can say is that it is doing well for me!!

Old 08-14-2017, 03:14 PM
Justin Jones
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, which is the best the CAT ELC or Rotella ELC?

Old 08-14-2017, 03:34 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
Going to have to disagree a little .....

per Shell product brochure, The Ultra is a true Extended Life Coolant. Ford Gold is not. The Ultra is an OAT, not a HOAT. It is silicate free (<10 ppm allows to be called silicate free) and nitrite free. It meets the CAT EC-1 spec. Ford Gold does not.

http://rotella.shell.com/products/an...ra-elc-tds.pdf

Is it necessary (or even is it beneficial)?? That is another question altogether! All I can say is that it is doing well for me!!
Good to know. When I was looking I stopped when I got to this:

http://rotella.shell.com/products/an...sell-sheet.pdf

I also thought I remembered seeing the info kiddo posted above. Maybe there have been some changes or I misread. Any idea about the significance of nitrates in our trucks?

Quick Reply: Shell Rotella ELC coolant