6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

F-250 "squealing" type noise at low speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 05:26 PM
Tawn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-250 "squealing" type noise at low speed

I suffer pretty significant hearing loss so I am at a handicap with this problem.

On multiple occasions when I pull into a parking lot, people claim they can hear a squealing type noise from my 2016 F-250 (22K miles). It has been described as a "belt squealing" type noise or as a "gerbil wheel squeaking". My wife claims she can hear it when going down the road at speed < ~40 mph.

I cant hear it at all.

I took it into the dealer this Tuesday. They claimed the "rotors were glazed but the pads were fine, so we turned the rotors on the truck and fixed the problem".

I call BS!

The very next day, my wife heard it as I pulled in the driveway and a coworker heard it as I pulled up to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:30 PM
sgeorge
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Squeal

My 2016 at under 2000 miles developed a noise that we described as the turkey call, because it sounded just like a turkey. In fact the first time we heard it we were in the mountains and passed it off that a flock of turkeys's were near us. Unfortunately we than heard it at home, it was loud enough that people turned and looked as we went by. Ours was different than yours in that it only happened at low speeds, 5-20 mph and then stopped. Turns out that the truck had a bad output seal on the transmission. Ford replaced the seal and it stopped. The service manger said that he had never seen that issue in 20 years of service. Probably no help for you, but an interesting story. Forgot to mention that the noise would come and go, would happen for a few days in a row and than stop for a week and than return.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:21 AM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
Are your hubs locked in? I was getting a squeaking sound coming from my truck and it ended up being the dust seal on the front differential pinion bearing. Sound would go away when the hubs were unlocked and when I turned the front driveshaft by hand I could hear it squeak. Replaced the bearing and seal and sound went away for a year and then came back. replaced that seal/bearing and now it's quiet again.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:31 PM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Belt idler pulley would be my guess. I just had mine changed it sounded similar to what you are describing.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:27 PM
Good listener
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fordman19762003
Are your hubs locked in? I was getting a squeaking sound coming from my truck and it ended up being the dust seal on the front differential pinion bearing. Sound would go away when the hubs were unlocked and when I turned the front driveshaft by hand I could hear it squeak. Replaced the bearing and seal and sound went away for a year and then came back. replaced that seal/bearing and now it's quiet again.
My truck was delivered with the hubs locked. I noticed the noise and drag soon after picking it up from the dealer. I guess that's something to be checked when you pick up a new vehicle.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:27 PM
Tawn
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordman19762003
Yes the hubs were locked - I don't know how or why but I never checked!!! I have driven it 22,000 miles that way!!! What kind of damage (if any) have I done?

Originally Posted by Good listener
My truck was delivered with the hubs locked. I noticed the noise and drag soon after picking it up from the dealer. I guess that's something to be checked when you pick up a new vehicle.
Sure enough!!! I just never checked

Old 04-03-2017, 05:41 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tawn
Yes the hubs were locked - I don't know how or why but I never checked!!! I have driven it 22,000 miles that way!!! What kind of damage (if any) have I done?

Sure enough!!! I just never checked
I would think if your Hubs were locked, you would feel a jerky steering wheel on dry pavement when going around corners.. How was the steering ?

Old 04-03-2017, 05:49 PM
Tawn
Senior User
Originally Posted by clintbonnie
I would think if your Hubs were locked, you would feel a jerky steering wheel on dry pavement when going around corners.. How was the steering ?
It wasn't't in 4WD, the front hubs have a "LOCKED" and "AUTO" position. It being in "LOCKED" doesn't put it in 4WD as long as the ESOTF is in the 2WD position but I don't know if long term, high speed can damage anything if the front hubs were in the "LOCKED" position. Truck drove normal (Not in 4WD).

Old 04-03-2017, 06:03 PM
Good listener
Senior User
It wasn't't in 4WD, the front hubs have a "LOCKED" and "AUTO" position. It being in "LOCKED" doesn't put it in 4WD as long as the ESOTF is in the 2WD position but I don't know if long term, high speed can damage anything if the front hubs were in the "LOCKED" position. Truck drove normal (Not in 4WD).
I doubt you did anything more than burn a little more fuel. I did notice a little dragging sensation when the wheels were turned to the limit. That's what had me check after I put on 100 miles or so. I told the dealer about the locked at delivery condition and I got little more than a shoulder shrug. The worst I've encountered was years ago when you had to pay $90 for "dealer prep" and found paper tags and plastic bags under the hood when I got my new car home. I took a picture and the found items back to the dealer and got my money back from the manager.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:13 PM
Tawn
Senior User
I doubt you did anything more than burn a little more fuel. I did notice a little dragging sensation when the wheels were turned to the limit. That's what had me check after I put on 100 miles or so. I told the dealer about the locked at delivery condition and I got little more than a shoulder shrug. The worst I've encountered was years ago when you had to pay $90 for "dealer prep" and found paper tags and plastic bags under the hood when I got my new car home. I took a picture and the found items back to the dealer and got my money back from the manager.
I did notice a little drag when the wheels were turned hard.

Irritates me that I told them the noise was unaffected when using the brakes yet they still blamed "Glazed Rotors" and turned the rotors on a truck with 20K on it. Truck squealed when I picked it up after they finished "fixing it"!

I am partially to blame - I never thought to even check the hubs

Based on other internet research, It appears that several guys have had similar problems - the squeal is the pinion shaft seal/bearing which gets worn when leaving the hubs locked

I found that info in 20 minutes on the internet but yet they turned to rotors which did nothing for squeal and returned the truck to me with the same problem that I brought it in with!

Old 04-03-2017, 06:29 PM
Good listener
Senior User
The vehicle manual only advises using the Auto setting to improve fuel economy, no warning of damage or increased wear. Certainly there was more wear, but the drive components and seals can take it. Think about the vehicles on the road with full time 4wd systems. Just another life learning experience: that's all.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:47 PM
Tawn
Senior User
The vehicle manual only advises using the Auto setting to improve fuel economy, no warning of damage or increased wear. Certainly there was more wear, but the drive components and seals can take it. Think about the vehicles on the road with full time 4wd systems. Just another life learning experience: that's all.
Thanks - I saw that in the manual as well. Just pissed at myself for not catching it sooner.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:19 PM
Tawn
Senior User
Kind of a dumb question but .... why would you ever want to leave the front hubs in the "locked" position on a electronic shift on the fly (ESOF) equipped truck?

What advantage could / would it provided? Never really understood the principal of having lockable hubs with a ESOF transfer case. What am I missing?

Old 04-03-2017, 08:21 PM
sgeorge
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Follow up to mine.

Glad you found your issue, nice to be fixed. My squeak has returned, It was gone for over 4000 miles and now back. I know it is the output shaft seal as it was gone when they replace that part the first time. I am thinking about just crawling under and putting a dab of grease under the seal to see if it stops. There must be something causing this but I don't have much faith that my local dealer can find the issue. The sound dosen't bother me as it is gone within a few seconds. It just worries me that the seal will fail while towing my trailer.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:03 PM
Good listener
Senior User
Kind of a dumb question but .... why would you ever want to leave the front hubs in the "locked" position on a electronic shift on the fly (ESOF) equipped truck?

What advantage could / would it provided? Never really understood the principal of having lockable hubs with a ESOF transfer case. What am I missing?
Auto locks can fail. Manual give you the ability to engage the hubs should that happen. This is essential for off road use.

Quick Reply: F-250 "squealing" type noise at low speed