1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Lowering beams, DJM's don't appeal

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 01:27 AM
Jon Richard
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixtiesmusclecarguy
Jon, I'm NOT a fabricator so My question is "do you see the DJM beams as having Flawed construction" ? Has anyone on this Forum or another ever had a DJM Beam Failure ??
I haven't read of one??
Not sure about failures, I've read posts about cracks but only random comments without pics.

I'm sure they're strong enough but it's certainly not as tough as a solid chunk of steel and obvious to me that they're built this way as a cost saving measure- no machining required. Stacking plate like that also invites the ingress of moisture and thus corrosion on the in between unfinished sections.

The chassis tech just "look" better built but the majority of comments I find are about the DJM's, so I was really hoping folks who have them would share.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:33 AM
1320stang
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My buddy owns Nostalgia Sid's Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, Dropped, axle, Axles, Spindles, kingpins, tie rods, steering arms, Guthrie, Oklahoma and has talked about dropping the twin I-beam axles for the Ford trucks, but hasn't yet. Send him an email asking when he'll start doing it. Maybe with the more inquiries he'll get it off the backburner.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:01 PM
Jon Richard
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1320stang
My buddy owns Nostalgia Sid's Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, Dropped, axle, Axles, Spindles, kingpins, tie rods, steering arms, Guthrie, Oklahoma and has talked about dropping the twin I-beam axles for the Ford trucks, but hasn't yet. Send him an email asking when he'll start doing it. Maybe with the more inquiries he'll get it off the backburner.
I've read that in other posts and was disappointed it hadn't happened yet. I sent him an email.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:39 PM
tsoza86
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went with aim beams. These are what they look like. Went on with no problem

Old 03-27-2017, 11:38 PM
Jon Richard
Senior User
Originally Posted by tsoza86
I went with aim beams. These are what they look like. Went on with no problem
Thank you for that! Would you mind telling me what size wheels you have up front and how much backspace? I have MP disc brake conversion which pushes the wheels outboard an inch and I've read some reports that the chassis tech beams are longer than stock.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:45 PM
Jon Richard
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jon Richard
Thank you all for the feedback.

Pretty much what I expected, the DJM's seem a much more popular choice. But man I'm having difficulty with their construction, and yes the silvervein chip prone coating.

Whatever I decide I'll definitely do shocks, bushings, and anti sway bar- and provide a follow up to hopefully help inform the next guy.
I bought the chassis tech beams from airbagit and I'm happy to report I'm glad I did. These are very stout, the beams are fabricated from 1/4" plate that was either flame or water jet cut but certainly with machine precision. The section from the coil mount to the king pin is indeed one solid hunk and cut/ finished with the same degree of accuracy.

I started another thread asking for sway bar mount dimensions wher Ultraranger was kind enough to provide some useful measurements. I've had some difficulty finding C brackets and I prefer the earlier cast radius arms anyway so I fabbed some brackets that will allow me to run a factory or aftermarket sway bar and welded them to the beams-

Anyone interested in drop beams I'd say these are definitely worth consideration. They come powder coated but I asked for them to be shipped bare so I could add the brackets. Mine came with urethane bushings and we're shipped with a new king pin set.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:13 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon Richard
I bought the chassis tech beams from airbagit and I'm happy to report I'm glad I did. These are very stout, the beams are fabricated from 1/4" plate that was either flame or water jet cut but certainly with machine precision. The section from the coil mount to the king pin is indeed one solid hunk and cut/ finished with the same degree of accuracy.

I started another thread asking for sway bar mount dimensions wher Ultraranger was kind enough to provide some useful measurements. I've had some difficulty finding C brackets and I prefer the earlier cast radius arms anyway so I fabbed some brackets that will allow me to run a factory or aftermarket sway bar and welded them to the beams-

Anyone interested in drop beams I'd say these are definitely worth consideration. They come powder coated but I asked for them to be shipped bare so I could add the brackets. Mine came with urethane bushings and we're shipped with a new king pin set.
While first impressions are good, I suggest evaluating them fully only upon their installation.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:57 AM
Jon Richard
Senior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
While first impressions are good, I suggest evaluating them fully only upon their installation.
ofcourse you're right, it is premature to endorse these until then. I suppose it would be better stated to say it is a promising first impression based on they're construction and build quality.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:43 AM
floater87
New User
When you cut the front coils did you have any hard camber/alignment issues?
Also Guys,
My Truck sat about Like Randles AWESOME ride before I cut the coil. I wanted a little lower in front....... Randle, I admit I love Your lower stripes on your truck so I stole your Look....Just went with a GT style stripe from a 66 Fairlane and narrowed it to fit.....

Old 10-20-2017, 12:53 PM
Sixtiesmusclecarguy
Freshman User
It has very slight neg Camber....I cut a full coil.You'd probably be safe with 1/2 coil.

Old 10-20-2017, 02:01 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
It has very slight neg Camber....I cut a full coil.You'd probably be safe with 1/2 coil.
Whenever cutting coils, cut no more than 1/4 coil at a time to sneak up on the desired final ride height.

An either cut with a cold saw or cut-off wheel. Never a torch cuz doing so well negatively affect the spring temper.