2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 Lariat Value vs Ultimate packages

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 07:12 PM
DISLTom
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wypowersmoke
plus I really hate how much head room the sun roof took away.
Really? I've not been in a 2017 that had no sunroof.

I couldn't fit in the 2011-2016 series because with the a/c seats I didn't have enough headroom.

In the 2017 I have more than plenty headroom with the sunroof and a/c seats. It's insane how much more room there is.

I can only imagine what it'd be like w/o a sunroof.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:42 PM
Arkfblayer52
New User
Originally Posted by sdm300
Taking a close look at the differences between these two packages, I see that the Ultimate package includes the following features that the Value does not:

feature option msrp
* navigation ($570)
* moonroof ($1295)
* tailgate step ($125)
* ambient lighting
* auto hi beam/rainsense wipers
* power telescoping steering wheel w/controls
* remote tailgate release

Ultimate package has msrp $4280. Value package has msrp $710. Thus you could option up a value package to include nav, moonroof and step for $2700 total. To get the remaining missing features (auto wipers, telescoping steering wheel, and remote tailgate release) would be $1580 additional for the ultimate package. Maybe that ambient lighting is really, really cool :-)

As I'll include the tow tech package on my order, auto hi beam and wipers are already included there.

Seems to me this might be a way to get a pretty well optioned truck, for a bit less.

It does aggravate me that there are some features that are included in multiple packages, for instance, the auto hi beam in both ultimate and tow tech packages. You're paying for this feature twice.

Another one that bugs me, that pretty much every truck on the local dealer lot has is the chrome package ($1125 msrp), which includes 18" chrome wheels, plus a 20" chrome wheel option ($1200-1400 msrp). So, you are paying either for 18" wheels that you do not get, or you are paying $1125 for chrome tips, hooks, and mirror caps. :-(

Something to keep in mind when negotiating i guess.....
Don't be a cheap *** when making a committment of literally ten of thousands of dollars.

I work in the Construction Management world

Old 03-24-2017, 09:15 PM
foozlemonster
Senior User
I know for me, it's not a "cheap" thing, but rather a lack of desire for a lot of those options. I'd be 100% happy with a Lariat Value with LEDs and power running boards. Luckily, amp makes some nice steps, and rigid makes some dot LEDs, if the halogen don't cut it.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:19 PM
K2500Z71
Senior User
Originally Posted by Arkfblayer52
Don't be a cheap *** when making a committment of literally ten of thousands of dollars.

I don't think anyone who's buying one of these trucks could be accused of being "cheap". Different folks value different things. Paying for features you don't value is a waste.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:34 PM
sdm300
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sdm300
It does aggravate me that there are some features that are included in multiple packages, for instance, the auto hi beam in both ultimate and tow tech packages. You're paying for this feature twice.
Originally Posted by Arkfblayer52

Is not wanting to pay for something twice, or to buy features that do not interest you, being a "cheap ***"?

Old 03-24-2017, 11:42 PM
F2502011
More Turbo
Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
My synopsis on the differences and why I went LVP vs LUP:

Ambient lighting isn't all that special. Had it in my 150 and don't miss it in the 250.

Here's how I spec'd my 2017 Lariat CCSB 4x4
-diesel
-3.55 locker
-carpet delete
-chrome pkg
-FX4
-navigation
-rapid heat
-twin panel moonroof
-roof lights
-chrome PVD 20" wheels
-upfitters
-garage door opener
-tailgate step
-ultimate trailer tow camera
-heated rear seat
-lariat value pkg

In doing this instead of the Lariat Ultimate Package, I didn't get or got instead the following
-Standard interior lighting vs Ambient Lighting where you have additional lighting in the foot well, arm rests, under seats, console(s) etc. of your color choice between the main primary colors red, blue, purple, yellow, green etc.
-Traditional light and wiper controls instead of Automatic High Beam with Rain-Sensing Windshield Wipers
-Traditional key instead of Intelligent Access with Push-button Start (PEPS)
-I got manual tilt/telescoping wheel without heat instead of Power Telescoping/Tilt Steering Wheel/Column with heat, memory
-Taligate that locks and unlocks with the doors and manual release instead of Remote Tailgate Release

MSRP difference of $67,720 instead of $69,535. Should I have spent the extra ~ $2K for these other things instead? Sometimes I think so and sometimes I don't. I would like to have the auto high/low beams they were nice on the 150, but if I had never had them I probably wouldn't miss them. Same goes for heated steering wheel. The power part of the steering wheel I don't care about or miss. Remote tailgate release I always thought may result in damage to the tailgate by accidentally hitting the button when you didn't mean to and it dropping on something. Rain sensing wipers were pretty useless unless they've improved them. Too much lag time in sensing and responding to rain volume. I ended up having to control them manually anyway.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:47 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Ford carefully packages options to where when you order separately just what you want, it ends up being only a little cheaper than ordering the next package. For example, look at F2502011's truck. He ordered many, but not all of the options in the Lariat Ultimate package separately. In the end he was only $1820 away from the Ultimate package. There were some options in that package which he wouldn't have minded but others he didn't care about. Ford would have loved to get another $1820 from him because these options are nearly pure profit.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:18 AM
Sf jakey
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have to agree on the moonroof. I hate it in my 11, and will not get another. I wish a Lariat Ultimate package omitted the moonroof so you could have all the other nice features while still being able to wear your hat while you drive. I never even open the shade on my 11, let alone the panel.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:31 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
I have a feeling the moonroof is more desireable in the areas that don't see excessive heat. Up here in British Columbia I love my sunroof, it brightens up the cab during the 3 months a year when its rainy and gloomy. On long cross country hauls I crack the sunroof and back window and it gives a nice breeze through the cab. I'm 6'-2" and wear hats a lot and have never noticed the low ceiling.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:37 PM
troverman
Hotshot
I love the moonroof. I had the standard power moonroof on my last 2016 truck...enjoyed it...but this 2017 with the panoramic roof simply transforms riding in the truck. It is unbelievably awesome, especially for rear passengers. Large windows, massive glass roof...night rides through a city are incredible. Even bright sunlight during the cold months is awesome. The shade does the trick for me during hot days. I'm the type of person who does not enjoy direct sunlight in the summer. I like cooler weather. So I think it works OK. But in fairness, I've only had my truck since October 4th of last year. July / August will be a test. I do live in NH, but we experience 90F+ temps to an extent. I also enjoy driving with the roof actually open...very nice.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:55 AM
AZFordLover
Tuned
Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
I love the moonroof. I had the standard power moonroof on my last 2016 truck...enjoyed it...but this 2017 with the panoramic roof simply transforms riding in the truck. It is unbelievably awesome, especially for rear passengers. Large windows, massive glass roof...night rides through a city are incredible. Even bright sunlight during the cold months is awesome. The shade does the trick for me during hot days. I'm the type of person who does not enjoy direct sunlight in the summer. I like cooler weather. So I think it works OK. But in fairness, I've only had my truck since October 4th of last year. July / August will be a test. I do live in NH, but we experience 90F+ temps to an extent. I also enjoy driving with the roof actually open...very nice.
I'd never considered the city night drive (lots of rural night stargazing previously) benefits until now - thanks for the idea. Gonna have to take folks for a cruise down Las Vegas Boulevard with the roof now.

Always enjoy learning from your posts, Trover.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:41 AM
troverman
Hotshot
I do what I can - thanks!

Old 03-28-2017, 06:12 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
While I don't have a 2017 Superduty, I do have a 2016 F150 with the moonroof. The headroom loss today is not what was expected in the 2016s and earlier. This new moonroof is all glass. The edges of the headliner are so much closer to the edges of the cab, that headroom is not an issue. I am 6'-5" with most of my height accounted for in my upper toso. I have plenty of room with this cab and the moonroof.
related, although I am only in Illinois, it does get HOT in the cab, even with the shade drawn. Ford needs to put a reflective backing on the shade to redirect the heat out of the cab. Similarly the cab gets colder with the non-insulating panels, do I close the shade when it's below zero. My daughter who lives to complain, does so many times stating the roof blinds her in the back seat. I toss her a hat with a bill and say "put it on, Crabby".

Old 11-10-2017, 05:28 PM
DRKBC
Senior User
Originally Posted by AMXDREAMER
I have a feeling the moonroof is more desireable in the areas that don't see excessive heat. Up here in British Columbia I love my sunroof, it brightens up the cab during the 3 months a year when its rainy and gloomy. On long cross country hauls I crack the sunroof and back window and it gives a nice breeze through the cab. I'm 6'-2" and wear hats a lot and have never noticed the low ceiling.
I am in total agreement with that. I use The moonroof a lot, I rarely shut the cover other than a few days in the summer.
The back passengers also really appreciate it, much more open view from back there and if it gets too sunny it’s easy to retract the top. In the spring and fall it’s fantasic, no leaks and no complaints from me.
Another option I wouldn’t necessarily have ordered initially but happy to have.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:46 PM
madsen203
Junior User
I want the sunroof. I hear lots of problems with them. I am assuming the problems will be worked out by the 2018/2019MY's. They are available in a similar set up across all their SUV's and trucks so I imagine they will see fixes for common problems.

I love the panoramic roof in the Lexus.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lariat Value vs Ultimate packages