6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

04 6.0 excursion dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 12:18 PM
Budd man 6.0
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 6.0 excursion dies while driving

My excursion died while driving down the road I lose everything but once I turn the key off and turn it back on it will start turning over again but don't . I let it set for a few minutes and it will start right back up like nothing every happen . In need of help this is our only transportation for now. The recent things I've done is change out the radiator and upper and lower hoses due to a tiny crack in the neck. I also changed out the hose from turbo to pipe on the hot side due to wear out hole. Please help

Old 03-23-2017, 01:26 PM
Bumblebee04
Senior User
Welcome to FTE!

You're going to want to get a live data monitor like TorquePro or Forscan and bluetooth obd2 adapter. It's basically a requirement if you own a 6.0. There's a bunch of things that it could be, but without the data best we can do is guess.

You can try to pull the icp connector and see if it'll stay running. On late builds its on the passenger side valve cover towards the front. On early builds its in the back driver's side just behind the turbo.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:18 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When was the last time you changed both fuel filters?

Old 03-23-2017, 02:24 PM
Budd man 6.0
New User
It's been about 7,000 miles I change them out every time I Chang oil at 10,000 miles

Old 03-23-2017, 02:26 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Budd man 6.0
It's been about 7,000 miles I change them out every time I Chang oil at 10,000 miles
They are a possibility to consider.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:36 PM
Budd man 6.0
New User
Originally Posted by Bumblebee04
Welcome to FTE!

You're going to want to get a live data monitor like TorquePro or Forscan and bluetooth obd2 adapter. It's basically a requirement if you own a 6.0. There's a bunch of things that it could be, but without the data best we can do is guess.

You can try to pull the icp connector and see if it'll stay running. On late builds its on the passenger side valve cover towards the front. On early builds its in the back driver's side just behind the turbo.
What should happen when I pull the icp stay running or shut right down

Old 03-23-2017, 05:14 PM
Bumblebee04
Senior User
What should happen when I pull the icp stay running or shut right down
If it quits dying then it's the sensor or wiring. The plug should be oil free. If there's oil, the sensor and pigtail need to be replaced. The pcm will use a default value with it unplugged.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Budd man 6.0
New User
Thank you I'll give it a try

Old 03-26-2017, 07:27 AM
Budd man 6.0
New User
Originally Posted by Bumblebee04
If it quits dying then it's the sensor or wiring. The plug should be oil free. If there's oil, the sensor and pigtail need to be replaced. The pcm will use a default value with it unplugged.
I left it out for a quick drive and it stayed running but the I went for a longer drive and it died again but I drove it again today and it didn't die now I'm at a lost again now what should I try should I go ahead and replace the wiring and the ICP

Old 03-26-2017, 08:19 AM
Bumblebee04
Senior User
I left it out for a quick drive and it stayed running but the I went for a longer drive and it died again but I drove it again today and it didn't die now I'm at a lost again now what should I try should I go ahead and replace the wiring and the ICP
It's still dying, so most likely not the icp. As I've said, all we can do is guess without the data from the engine. Get that data monitor!

In the meantime you could always make sure the batteries connections and frame/block grounds are clean and tight. I would also charge them all the way and have them load tested individually. Then check alternator output to make sure the charging & starting system is up to par. That'll rule out another possible problem.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:27 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,720 Posts
Also, it would be helpful to us to know if it is an early or a late 04.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:36 AM
Budd man 6.0
New User
Originally Posted by bismic
Also, it would be helpful to us to know if it is an early or a late 04.
manufacturing date says 05/04
i was told it's a split year cause the ICP was on the passenger side up front

Old 03-26-2017, 08:40 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,720 Posts
That can help direct us to an answer if we pursue an actual issues with low pressure in the high-pressure oil system. You have a late model 04.

Greg has posted up the path to resolution of this - get a scan tool where we can see engine readings:

ICP pressure
ICP volts
IPR% duty cycle

If you do have low pressure in that system, it could very well be leaking dummy plugs (early 04's don't have dummy plugs), or it could be the IPR valve. Hopefully it does not turn out to be the pump. Get the readings first though, we don't even know if it is with the high pressure oil system.

Another thing to watch is FICM volts (MPower, VPower, and LPower readings). Get these readings KOEO, cranking, and at idle.

Plenty of good phone apps out there for getting readings (Torque, Forscan, Dashboss, etc). You will need an adapter for the OBDII port, but this is the cheapest way to go. Some people get the ScangaugeII also.

Last edited by bismic; 03-28-2017 at 06:47 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 03-26-2017, 08:51 AM
Budd man 6.0
New User
Originally Posted by bismic
That can help direct us to an answer if we pursue an issue with actual issues with low pressure in the high-pressure oil system. You have a late model 04.

Greg has posted up the path to resolution of this - get a scan tool where we can see engine readings:

ICP pressure
ICP volts
IPR% duty cycle

If you do have low pressure in that system, it could very well be leaking dummy plugs (early 04's don't have dummy plugs), or it could be the IPR valve. Hopefully it does not turn out to be the pump. Get the readings first though, we don't even know if it is with the high pressure oil system.

Another thing to watch is FICM volts (MPower, VPower, and LPower readings). Get these readings KOEO, cranking, and at idle.

Plenty of good phone apps out there for getting readings (Torque, Forscan, Dashboss, etc). You will need an adapter for the OBDII port, but this is the cheapest way to go. Some people get the ScangaugeII also.
I was think about investing into getting a Bully Dog GT Diesel system would that be even better cause I do some traveling and towing a good bit

Old 03-26-2017, 10:39 AM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
In one word, NO. SCT all the way. Even thou they own Bully Dog now it's not the same. You would be better off with torque pro or Forscan. For tuning only SCT.

Quick Reply: 04 6.0 excursion dies while driving