1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

What i have to do to pay for my ford truck.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 06:55 PM
mrpotatohead
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What i have to do to pay for my ford truck.

V-10 ford on cng.
E-450 ford van with v-10 power.
8.3 liter Cummins on cng out of city transit buses.

​​​​​​​

Old 03-22-2017, 07:25 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Interesting. How long you been doing this?

Old 03-22-2017, 07:29 PM
mrpotatohead
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Interesting. How long you been doing this?
For 35 years.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:31 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Originally Posted by mrpotatohead
For 35 years.
Well in that case you and I are ol' experienced dogs. 2017 marks 40 years I've been working at various Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Dealers selling parts.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:31 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Looks fun. I've done a few engine swaps on vans, one was a 2011 E150 with a 4.6, the second was a 2008 4x4 handicap conversion E350 that went from a 5.4 to a 6.0 diesel. That job was a nightmare.
Now I'm back to fabrication work, building truck beds and bumpers mostly.
Name:  KIMG0287_zpssahvarav.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  148.3 KB

Old 03-22-2017, 09:20 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Part of my domain where I earn a buck. These are four Husky Hylectric 500 HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) injection machines --$2 million dollars per machine. 3 of these machines makes one 5 gallon bucket (ea) about every 17 seconds. The other injection machine, to the far left, makes four 5 gallon lids at a time, also about every 17 seconds.

Taking the mould out to service the machine.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:50 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Steve, you are in MY domain. Been in screw/barrel manufacturing/rebuilding for 31 yrs now. Those Husky's, are they the old spline drive units or newer API thread drives? Broken any?

We have a local customer in Ohio called Century Container that does bucket/lids also. I'll say though their building isn't quite so shiny and new LOL!!

Old 03-23-2017, 11:24 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Freightrain
Steve, you are in MY domain. Been in screw/barrel manufacturing/rebuilding for 31 yrs now. Those Husky's, are they the old spline drive units or newer API thread drives? Broken any?

We have a local customer in Ohio called Century Container that does bucket/lids also. I'll say though their building isn't quite so shiny and new LOL!!
They're API. The plant was built in 2011 and went online in 2012. I went to work here in 2013. We have a refinery that makes the oil. My department/division makes 1 quart, 4 qt and 5 qt, blow mould bottles and 2 gallon blow mould jugs.

The injection side makes 5 gallon buckets and lids. We produce the containers for our packaging division (also on the same plant site). They fill the containers for the refinery. In the last year, we've also started selling the empty containers directly to outside sources so, my division isn't dependent solely on our own refinery/packaging divisions for the sale of the containers we manufacture.

So far (knock on wood) our injection machines have never broken a screw. --we did have a screw that got stuck in the barrel once but, after some effort, we finally got it freed up and running again.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:45 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot

My "work site" is not as exciting as you guy's.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:39 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

^^Ya, but 70% of my time that is what I look at. But the other 70%(lol...I have more then 100%) sends me all around the USA doing onsite work(inspections and blueprints) plus fix everything broken here, including plumbing, electrical, trucks, towmotors, sinks, toilets, computers, etc, etc. Throw in sales help, plant manager, truck driver. etc. I've done it all here, my comment typically is "I don't have authority to sign a paycheck, but beyond that I do it all". Besides the owner, I have been here since day two.

Those API threads are okay if you don't run them hard. If you start pushing recovery times you will break them, right in the middle of the thread. We have another customer here in Ohio that we have a regular supply of them(85 and 100mm) We had to make male/female gauges as we don't have Husky's print and not sure if they made them to typical API or some variation(I know OEM's like to screw with stuff so you can't duplicate). Husky warrantied a few back in the day, but they they told them they were running them too hard. We could fix them much cheaper then a new OEM screw. They must think it is worth it to constantly fix them?

Blow molding is a pretty cool process. Locally we have a research development company we do work for. They do all sorts of packaging experiements(like for Colgate and the like). They are constantly trying new things to make packaging lighter and cheaper. If you ever notice water bottles are really thin today? Ya, he calls them water BAGS, not bottles. He hates them as much as I do, but companies will put up with complaints from people before ever going back to thick wall bottles. Every try to pick up a one gallon water bottle(not milk jug) and pour it? It collapses in your hand if you don't use two hands.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:58 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Freightrain
^^Ya, but 70% of my time that is what I look at. But the other 70%(lol...I have more then 100%) sends me all around the USA doing onsite work(inspections and blueprints) plus fix everything broken here, including plumbing, electrical, trucks, towmotors, sinks, toilets, computers, etc, etc. Throw in sales help, plant manager, truck driver. etc. I've done it all here, my comment typically is "I don't have authority to sign a paycheck, but beyond that I do it all". Besides the owner, I have been here since day two.

Those API threads are okay if you don't run them hard. If you start pushing recovery times you will break them, right in the middle of the thread. We have another customer here in Ohio that we have a regular supply of them(85 and 100mm) We had to make male/female gauges as we don't have Husky's print and not sure if they made them to typical API or some variation(I know OEM's like to screw with stuff so you can't duplicate). Husky warrantied a few back in the day, but they they told them they were running them too hard. We could fix them much cheaper then a new OEM screw. They must think it is worth it to constantly fix them?

Blow molding is a pretty cool process. Locally we have a research development company we do work for. They do all sorts of packaging experiements(like for Colgate and the like). They are constantly trying new things to make packaging lighter and cheaper. If you ever notice water bottles are really thin today? Ya, he calls them water BAGS, not bottles. He hates them as much as I do, but companies will put up with complaints from people before ever going back to thick wall bottles. Every try to pick up a one gallon water bottle(not milk jug) and pour it? It collapses in your hand if you don't use two hands.
Nothing from Husky (made in Canada) is cheap. The moulds alone are a quarter of a million dollars each and weigh nearly 7,000lbs. Fortunately, we have a big overhead crane to pick them up with.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Brian1971f100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will play along. I work at a family business. Alternative heating and cooling.I manage everything. Job duties include Sales, service, scheduling, ordering, receiving, computer IT, filling in for whatever. I spend many hours on the phone fixing everything.

Part of my showroom

In the back. I spend a lot of time here.

My favorite part of my shop. We like tools

Old 03-23-2017, 02:06 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
I work on one of these....Well, I did, until they shut us down for good last October.

Attached Images   
Old 03-23-2017, 02:18 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Wow...fancy diving suits for a lifeguard. What kind of pool is that..................

Old 03-23-2017, 02:44 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
It's a big pool of Tidy-Bowl!

Quick Reply: What i have to do to pay for my ford truck.