Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

6.9 IDI Podunk retired ambulance

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 01:18 AM
640rider
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My eyes are getting goofy but I'm pretty sure this thread mentioned it.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...questions.html

Old 03-23-2017, 07:52 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
Originally Posted by 640rider
210 lbs boost?
sorry that was a fat finger typo. was supposed to read 12 lbs boost.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:26 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 640rider
My eyes are getting goofy but I'm pretty sure this thread mentioned it.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...questions.html
research the flash point of diesel and the flash point of Delo 15/40. You will see that the oil flashes higher than diesel. Not sure where the other information came from. You are going to have to do something with the oil fumes that are inherant to all diesels. If you don't mind the oil on your driveway or any where you park go with a sliver tube like the old diesels had.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:01 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
I have a 3.08 Ford 10.25 rear end under my F250 that will be looking for a new home before too long, or I'll just regear it to 3.55.
I'd love to have a 3.08, but I'd want to swap in a wide-range T19 (I have the narrower-range T19B now). I also never did learn whether they made 3.08 gears for a Dana 44/50 front.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:09 PM
640rider
5th Wheeling
No worries, my decoder ring went MIA and wasn't completely functional anyway, been searching Ebay for a replacement. 210 pounds of boost would have to call for some serious blowby IMHO! Speaking of the bay I just ordered 8 more glow plugs at $9 each, not sure about that kind of links or I'd post one?

Good point on the flash point which I'm not sure of, I use Rotella T 15/40, been using it in my bike for years and its convenient. Volatility would likely vary among different oils I'd guess.
I personally just don't want to do an RDT being the eventual plans for the ambulance. Flinging oil all up under the chassis with water tanks, electrical and such just doesn't seem to fit suit well.

Time to go eyeball the fuel tank, under intake routing and valve cover bolts for a bit.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:53 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
rotella 15-40 is good oil, a lot of the fellers here use it.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:30 PM
640rider
5th Wheeling
The Rotella T has always been good to me.
Turns out I had a dirty connection at the high idle solenoid, the in cab high idle box/switch went the way of the Dodo unfortunately.
Plus side I started the rig after cleaning the connection without touching the throttle at all as a test and she fired to life without stalling.
The CDR routing under the intake looks to be a no go from the hood side anyway.
I measured the tank and without doing the math I'm guessing 34 gallons. Its about 33 inches wide 13 inches tall and 22 inches or so long.
I still have yet to pull the dog house for a look at the valve cover bolts, had to takeoff and get some motorbike wheels balanced, eating lunch, wasting time waiting for them now.
Edit: I did look for the ratio tag on the differential as well and didn't see it.

Oh and the Dana 70 may not be the HD as the axle tubes look to be 3 1/2 inches in diameter.

Double edit: I just did the math and my guesstimation was off by about 6 gallons, using 231 square inches to the gallon in to the 9438 square inches from the dimensions of the tank equals a 40 gallon tank.
I don't even recall seeing a 40 gallon tank anywhere I've looked. Off to the van fuel tank thread with me!

Old 03-25-2017, 10:14 PM
640rider
5th Wheeling
Dashboard's lit up on both sides again, hand scrapping deal but that's done now as well as plate lights on the rear and spraying tank suspender bolts with PB Blaster prepping to see what's in the tank. Fingers crossed it's just a fuel logged float!

For ease of application I did end up going RDT routed back to the rear axle area, the rubber spout below the CDR was a leaking rig job. Somebody had broke it and jammed some hose down into what was left of the rubber spout. I had already bought the part so it got replaced. I looked while I was under the rig today and it doesn't even look like anything has come out of the RDT yet.

Something I had forgotten and is stumping me is the drivers side window weatherstripping, not the wind wing the crank window. I've searched and it may just be terminology that's throwing me.
Have any of you replaced this weatherstripping? Should this be attempted by the common mortal man?
I've found some 12 dollar stuff but I'm just not sure how well it might work. Really looking for some tips on this one, I've never done such a thing.

Got wheels and tires on the 640 today too, seen less wheel weights on truck tires! The bike should fit in the back of the ambulance without the windscreen and mirrors which are both easy to remove and replace.

Short ride to a fire look out after mounting wheels and tires.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:16 AM
Charmalu
Fleet Mechanic

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts
Is this what you are looking for?

Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

Door and Cowl seal if you need that
Truck Parts and Truck Accessories

Charlie

Old 03-26-2017, 05:57 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Here are parts sources that * research and use
Ford parts .Com official site good pictures and partial part # . Have to know the prefix .
Dennis Carpenter
LMC
Auto parts warehouse
Rock
eBay
Junkyards
Orileys

Old 03-26-2017, 10:04 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Those LMC parts are all for trucks. LMC's trim/body parts are generally crap anyway. SOME of Dennis Carpenter's parts are OEM quality and made in USA. But you have to be VERY careful, as some of their parts are made in China and poor quality.

Depends on which parts you need. If you need the felt that goes inside the window channel in the door frame, Carpenter's part is of good quality. The clip-on felts on the "beltline" (one goes on the outer door skin, other goes on the interior panel) are another story. You can only buy outer and inner together, not separately. The outers are of good quality, but the inners are junk. The felt is too thin, they're the wrong shape, and they have the wrong clips.

For the outer door gasket (door-to-jamb), there's only one aftermarket I know of and it's junk. OEM from one of the online dealers is only a few dollars more, and worth it.

And yes, it's all doable by "mere mortals" in the driveway.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:25 AM
640rider
5th Wheeling
And yes, it's all doable by "mere mortals" in the driveway.

I took a better look today and it looks to be a simple application, pretty much just push the new weatherstrip in, maybe some adhesive to hold it well with the window cranked up until the glue dries.

I got a picture today for an explanation. The missing weatherstrip runs in a channel up the crank window side of the wind wing, over the top of the crank window and down the channel towards the back of the door.

Missing drivers side weatherstrip.
Are the doors the same in the vans? It's #7 "DOOR GLASS BLK" that is missing in that diagram Charlie. We're narrowing it down!

If it's raining and windy with the rig headed the right direction it kind of rains inside in a spitting slobbering manner.

Another cold start today without any throttle at all.
Curb idle has picked up a tad and seems to be what it should by my guesstimation.
I've been running Diesel RX in the fuel and it's been nothing but beneficial, not that it's anywhere near fast but performance has increased considerably with every tank I've run through it. On nearly or at a 4%+ grade today at 65mph it worked its way up to 70 alright, likely could have gone faster too, I just didn't push it.

I've noticed a faint whistle the last two ot three times I've started the rig, I think it's hinting at wanting a turbo in it's own subtle way.

Thanks guys!
LMC does do Van parts.
Sure doesn't look right without the wind wing though.

Van door diagram
Oh, I forgot to mention while running the RDT I did snug the valve cover bolts, they were better than finger tight but still fairly loose. In the same what I thought could be a weeping head gasket on the drivers side could very well be oil making its way from the rigged mess of a CDR tube I found. Seems to make sense with no visible fluid exchange.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:14 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
On the trucks, that part is all one loop. The LMC pic implies that the part in the division bar is separate, and evidently not available. You may have to hit up the dealer, or one of the online dealers.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:32 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Rock Auto had everything
RockAuto Mobile Catalog

Old 03-27-2017, 07:57 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Direct link on real site - 1987 FORD E-350 6.9L 420cid V8 DIESEL Door Window Glass Channel | RockAuto - Probably pretty low quality, but at that price, you could swap 'em out every few years.

Quick Reply: 6.9 IDI Podunk retired ambulance