Hydroboost, Saginaw questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 07:37 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Macrobb
When I did it on mine, I followed *none* of the suggestions:
1. Used stock PS pump with 1 return line. I installed a tee, and a generic PS filter.
2. Used Hydroboost off '03 F-450 unit
3. Used stock pedal, modified rod to work
4. Used stock MC(though it needed an adapter/shim to fit)
I never had it fail on me, and it worked just fine. I did have slight 'lack of flow' issues when cranking the wheel hard and braking at the same time at low idle(making the wheel stiff), but it was more a momentary annoyance than anything.

If you do this swap, I would also:
1. Install an electronic cruise module. You can actually use one off a more modern(mine was off a '98) Ford truck. These modules have *all* the circuitry in them, so you can basically remove the servo actuator and the controller under the dash. You need about 6 or 7 wires to run it; there's a topic out there I made detailing the process.
2. Electric vacuum pump. If you have an electronic cruise, you can use one off a 99+ Ford diesel, these are really tiny pumps. You delete the main vacuum reservoir(don't need all that volume), and it'll do just fine.

It can't really handle the cruise supply, though, especially if it leaks a little when *not* operating as all the modules I could lay my hands on did.
A bigger pump would solve that... but why not just use an electronic cruise?
ive been wanting to do the Saginaw pump so I could t find a more opportune time. And I don't really care if cruise works or doesn't. Mine never did so it's not a top concern for me. Also how did you do your brake pedal mod? Do you have a link to the thread?

Old 03-16-2017, 04:28 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
I did this to my '88. Used a pump and bracket that came off a 79 lincoln I think? I had to shave a little bit off the bracket to get it to fit the IDI engine, basically just sanded a bit off the long part the bolt went through.
That all bolted up fine, and the belt ran fine from what I can remember.

The hose was interesting though... When I originally installed the saginaw (before the hydroboost mod) I think I used the hose from a van, and maybe had to bend the hard section a bit to make it work. When I added the hydroboost, I had to get a little creative as the saginaw pump was like a flared connection I think, and the ford pump has that fancy o-ring thing. I think what I did was use a stock f-450 hose that worked with the hydroboost, and cut the end off to add the right connection for the saginaw pump.
The other difference is the angle the saginaw pump connects versus stock pump. I believe it connects in the back for supply, where as the ford pump connects on the side.

Its been a little while and all this is fuzzy. But I might be able to dig up some more info/parts numbers if needed.

Also, I modified the brake pedal as shown in another thread. Grind off the weld, push out the pin. Drill new hole like 3/4" closer to the pivot, press in pin. Weld pin in place and weld closed the old hole. That's the proper way to get the pedal to work right if you don't swap it for the hydroboost pedal.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:45 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Originally Posted by tecgod13
I did this to my '88. Used a pump and bracket that came off a 79 lincoln I think? I had to shave a little bit off the bracket to get it to fit the IDI engine, basically just sanded a bit off the long part the bolt went through.
That all bolted up fine, and the belt ran fine from what I can remember.

The hose was interesting though... When I originally installed the saginaw (before the hydrooost mod) I think I used the hose from a van, and maybe had to bend the hard section a bit to make it work. When I added the hydroboost, I had to get a little creative as the saginaw pump was like a flared connection I think, and the ford pump has that fancy o-ring thing. I think what I did was use a stock f-450 hose that worked with the hydroboost, and cut the end off to add the right connection for the saginaw pump.
The other difference is the angle the saginaw pump connects versus stock pump. I believe it connects in the back for supply, where as the ford pump connects on the side.

Its been a little while and all this is fuzzy. But I might be able to dig up some more info/parts numbers if needed.

Also, I modified the brake pedal as shown in another thread. Grind off the weld, push out the pin. Drill new hole like 3/4" closer to the pivot, press in pin. Weld pin in place and weld closed the old hole. That's the proper way to get the pedal to work right if you don't swap it for the hydroboost pedal.
Ok the pedal is making more sense to me now. I have heard of people redrilling the firewall or even slotting it...not really my cup of tea. And the hoses are different that is going to suck lol. The hose will be here tomorrow so I'll be able to compare to the pump and booster and have to reflare or do whatever has to be done

Old 03-16-2017, 11:32 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
The hose was interesting though... When I originally installed the saginaw (before the hydroboost mod) I think I used the hose from a van, and maybe had to bend the hard section a bit to make it work. When I added the hydroboost, I had to get a little creative as the saginaw pump was like a flared connection I think, and the ford pump has that fancy o-ring thing. I think what I did was use a stock f-450 hose that worked with the hydroboost, and cut the end off to add the right connection for the saginaw pump.
The other difference is the angle the saginaw pump connects versus stock pump. I believe it connects in the back for supply, where as the ford pump connects on the side..
As far as I can tell the fitting side for the Saginaw pump is a 3/8.. gonna do what you did. Cut the pump end of the line off and reflare the correct size fitting on it. I am going to use the F450 pressure hose.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
For hoses... I ended up talking to the local auto parts store that makes hydraulic hoses. They could get compression-fitting ends which would go around any metal tubing pieces I had, so we could use them as adapters.

That worked just fine; eventually I ended up replacing my lines with hydraulic hoses with JIC ends and using adapters off Amazon to complete the circuit.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:31 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Macrobb
For hoses... I ended up talking to the local auto parts store that makes hydraulic hoses. They could get compression-fitting ends which would go around any metal tubing pieces I had, so we could use them as adapters.

That worked just fine; eventually I ended up replacing my lines with hydraulic hoses with JIC ends and using adapters off Amazon to complete the circuit.
I think that's what I am going to do. I am just going to take in the pump and hydroboost and have them mimic the F450 hose with the correct fittings.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:21 AM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Ok so I've hit a wall. The 1979 Lincoln continental power steering pump (w/ hydroboost) shaft where the pulley goes is 3/4" while the ID of the hole on the pulley is ~.668"... looks like I will have to drill the power steering pulley. Before I pull the trigger though has anyone else encountered this problem? It is quite a big difference believe it or not. Also if I do end up having to drill it should I opt for the 11/16" drill bit that nobody seems to have or should I go with the 3/4" (same as shaft)? I would assume the pulley would have to be slightly smaller since it needs to be pressed on..

Old 03-23-2017, 04:00 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
What about using the pulley for the Lincoln? I stayed with the pump for the trucks

47/64 drill bit the ream to finish size. The old Ford king pins had to be reamed

Old 03-23-2017, 07:44 AM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Originally Posted by hturner12
What about using the pulley for the Lincoln? I stayed with the pump for the trucks

47/64 drill bit the ream to finish size. The old Ford king pins had to be reamed
I bought the pump from the parts store because the junkyard didn't have any of the lincolns.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:26 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
I'd go looking for the right pulley before trying to drill out the one you have.
Making it a press fit without the correct tools and measurements will likely cause a bigger problem in the end.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:30 AM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
I'd go looking for the right pulley before trying to drill out the one you have.
Making it a press fit without the correct tools and measurements will likely cause a bigger problem in the end.
I have looked and called everywhere. What other vehicles would it come on I've only asked for the 70's continental. And my junk yards don't have any

Old 03-23-2017, 07:23 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
I don't have a clue... maybe see if you can cross reference the pump at an auto parts place that has employees smart enough to use an old book....?

Old 03-23-2017, 07:47 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
I don't have a clue... maybe see if you can cross reference the pump at an auto parts place that has employees smart enough to use an old book....?
I think he works at Orileys

Old 03-23-2017, 08:07 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Originally Posted by hturner12
I think he works at Orileys
I do. I don't know why my dumb*** didn't think of that...found one right away LOL. Forman 300-122 inside bore is .748 it's the closest I could really good I'm gonna check tomorrow if it'll fit

Old 03-23-2017, 08:39 PM
jmuenchow
More Turbo
Found a few that might work that might work will find out in the morning *crosses fingers*

Quick Reply: Hydroboost, Saginaw questions