1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Haulin' 10k camper with Excursion- turbo? Others?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 01:46 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Haulin' 10k camper with Excursion- turbo? Others?

Looks like we're buying a bigger camper this Friday. I want to keep the model and location under wraps until we close the deal and are driving back with it

We expect it to be 10-11k loaded. Just under 8k is the listed empty weight. It is 33ft overall. We're hoping to keep more stuff "in" the camper than carrying in the Excursion.

Our goal is a cross-country trip this year. Maybe 2 weeks to a month, from PA to wherever

We also want to use it as a "hotel on wheels" to make a number of 2-3 day weekend style trips where we haul it, stay in it at our destination, then haul it home.

Our 2002 Excursion Limited 7.3L is just under 193k, has the 4R100 trans with JW Valve body and Mercon 5 + filter changed about 30k ago.

I run 5w-40w Rotella T6 synthetic oil, have stock splitshot injectors. I have a Hydra tuner with GearHead tunes. Rolling on 35" 10-ply tires and F350 springs. Hellwig anti-sway bar (new replacement going on shortly).

We rebuild and upgraded the turbo with 95 OEM ("original wicked wheel" style) and installed AIS air intake and filter. I have SPTurbo wheel waiting to install, but not sure now if I should upgrade the wheel, or switch to a different turbo

Having a wastegate is handy on the road as a DD, and it is all fun, but wondering if I should upgrade the turbo to something else?

I've done the UVCH and she starts in 2secs or less, even in the COLDEST weather. HPOP seems to put out good pressure. New bellowed Uppipes, 4" MBRP exhaust.

I do NOT have the boost delimiter setup or anything yet, though can do that in the tunes if I ask.

I have a 140 amp alternator, new within the past year, with batteries new not long before that. Replaced the starter not much before the batteries. No charge, starting, or voltage issues right now.

I have a small oil leak and turbo boots to replace in the VERY near future, so the top will get another good look and likely all at the same time as the turbo gets pulled.

I can't do anything about the transmission now. It doesn't have any problems that we're aware of and it seems really tight and good, though I've thrown a few rear driveshaft universals this past 2 yrs. I upgraded them to SPICER ones.

I've replaced all 4 brakes/rotors recently, replaced and rebuilt drivers front wheel assembly (including ball joints), and have new bearings for the passenger front to go in shortly.

Flushed the cooling system and went with the long life ELC coolant. Installed 6.0 transmission cooler.

I have a 2-3yr old steering stabilizer and plan to replace the tie rod ends very shortly, then an alignment. Front end is pretty tight, no steering issues I know of.

I have parts to rebuild the ESOF hubs and new vacuum lines for the 4WD. It is hit-and-miss right now with the A/C going to defrost. Don't want to get stuck with the camper

I have an oil bypass filter setup that I have to fab a mount and get hoses for, then it will go on.

I have a Prodigy brake controller installed.

We'll be using a Reese WDH + anti-sway. The Hensely and Propride are out of our price range for now.

I have parts to install a backup camera and backup LEDs on the Ex.

What are the key things you all would recommend checking, upgrading, changing, etc for this kind of use? It will continue to be our DD.

I've been in 45 states (including Alaska and Hawaii), but never drove over the Rocky Mountains. I've been on Mount Rainier, but only in a car and so far. I've hiked well above the clouds and well into the snow line. I have felt the effects altitude.

Though not expecting to be "in the mountains" might cross them or head that way. Who knows?

I owe a visit to a couple guys on here, so Washington State and Colorado will probably find their way onto our list- this trip or next

Tips and suggestions? Let's hear them!

Thanks!

Old 03-14-2017, 02:31 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like she should be pretty solid. One thing I would do as a preventative would be to go ahead and replace both of the high pressure oil lines and fittings ( both on the hpop and heads ). Trust me you would rather do these on your terms and not roadside after losing 2 to 3 gallons of oil.
EDI​​​​​​T: Riffraff Diesel has some nice ones that's priced way better than oem.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:43 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
Last summer my wife and I towed a 30ft travel trailer weighing in at around 10K lbs plus the truck loaded to the gills and 75 gallons of fuel on board. We towed this setup from GA to Seattle and back which was about 8K miles total. We did just as you are planning to do, but took 45 days to get there and back.

It was our rolling hotel on wheels that had all of our stuff in it. We had great restful nights at rest stops, took a couple of days here and there along the way to relax and see the scenery. Some was boondocking, some was at established campgrounds.

It was a blast.

We did this trip before I had rebuilt the turbo and installed the Hydra. Even then the truck did quite well. In the Rocky Mountains we did have to downshift to 3rd in order to maintain speed going up the grade, but we were not in a hurry so it was not a big deal.

As for things to check, look at the trailer very closely. We bought a trailer that had been overloaded in the past and the rear axle was not good. We ended up changing the rear tires out at a rest stop just east of St. Louis because the belts were showing after dragging it across the country.

**** happens... Just have a good tool kit and a plan for if things go bad.

Have roadside assistance available that will help get your vehicle as well as the trailer to safety.

Look into getting the Pilot/Flying J RV fuel card. It is free and allows you to fill up at the big truck lanes where it is so much easier to pull through.

Get an Aquatainer from Wal-mart. We carry two with us whenever we go camping or are headed out for long periods.

When stopped over night at a rest stop or something, put the front jack stand down just enough to take the weight off the Excursion and unhook power from the Excursion. This will not only make staying in the camper more comfortable, but you do run the risk of running down your Excursion battery.

If the trailer has slides, try to pull into a rest stop spot where you can put the slide out.

We used an app called AllStays and it was a great help for planning our stops for fuel, food and sleeping.

Try to stop before the sun sets, because places fill up quick as the sun goes down.

Make sure you have tools to remove the tires on the trailer as well as the truck. Check your spares on the trailer and the truck.

Don't be in a hurry and push yourself. Take your time and enjoy the journey. It was nice to be able to find a nice rest stop, have a warm meal and lay out on a couch reading a magazine the night before getting on the road again. Montana and South Dakota are great for stops, the midwest was not good...

Below is the travel trailer we pulled cross country. We now have a 313RE 5th wheel.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:43 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
Sounds like she should be pretty solid. One thing I would do as a preventative would be to go ahead and replace both of the high pressure oil lines and fittings ( both on the hpop and heads ). Trust me you would rather do these on your terms and not roadside after losing 2 to 3 gallons of oil.
EDI​​​​​​T: Riffraff Diesel has some nice ones that's priced way better than oem.
That's good idea! I've look into that before, but it fell off the radar screen

Old 03-14-2017, 02:44 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 575 Likes on 372 Posts
Get a tow tune from Matt, slap the SPTurbo wheel on and go.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:54 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
That's good idea! I've look into that before, but it fell off the radar screen
If you are going to replace the lines, get the fittings for both the HPOP, head and the loctite that goes with the HPOP side.

You will be grateful you replaced them as well since the cost is minimal and the old ones will be in mediocre shape at best.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:59 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Sous
Last summer my wife and I towed a 30ft travel trailer weighing in at around 10K lbs plus the truck loaded to the gills and 75 gallons of fuel on board. We towed this setup from GA to Seattle and back which was about 8K miles total. We did just as you are planning to do, but took 45 days to get there and back.

It was our rolling hotel on wheels that had all of our stuff in it. We had great restful nights at rest stops, took a couple of days here and there along the way to relax and see the scenery. Some was boondocking, some was at established campgrounds.

It was a blast.

We did this trip before I had rebuilt the turbo and installed the Hydra. Even then the truck did quite well. In the Rocky Mountains we did have to downshift to 3rd in order to maintain speed going up the grade, but we were not in a hurry so it was not a big deal.

As for things to check, look at the trailer very closely. We bought a trailer that had been overloaded in the past and the rear axle was not good. We ended up changing the rear tires out at a rest stop just east of St. Louis because the belts were showing after dragging it across the country.

**** happens... Just have a good tool kit and a plan for if things go bad.

Have roadside assistance available that will help get your vehicle as well as the trailer to safety.

Look into getting the Pilot/Flying J RV fuel card. It is free and allows you to fill up at the big truck lanes where it is so much easier to pull through.

Get an Aquatainer from Wal-mart. We carry two with us whenever we go camping or are headed out for long periods.

When stopped over night at a rest stop or something, put the front jack stand down just enough to take the weight off the Excursion and unhook power from the Excursion. This will not only make staying in the camper more comfortable, but you do run the risk of running down your Excursion battery.

If the trailer has slides, try to pull into a rest stop spot where you can put the slide out.

We used an app called AllStays and it was a great help for planning our stops for fuel, food and sleeping.

Try to stop before the sun sets, because places fill up quick as the sun goes down.

Make sure you have tools to remove the tires on the trailer as well as the truck. Check your spares on the trailer and the truck.

Don't be in a hurry and push yourself. Take your time and enjoy the journey. It was nice to be able to find a nice rest stop, have a warm meal and lay out on a couch reading a magazine the night before getting on the road again. Montana and South Dakota are great for stops, the midwest was not good...

Below is the travel trailer we pulled cross country. We now have a 313RE 5th wheel.

This is full of so much GREAT info! Thank you!

Old 03-14-2017, 03:02 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Dan V
Get a tow tune from Matt, slap the SPTurbo wheel on and go.
I have a standard tow tune, but nothing really custom.

You think the SPTurbo wheel with the OEM turbo is good enough?

Old 03-14-2017, 03:04 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
If you are going to replace the lines, get the fittings for both the HPOP, head and the loctite that goes with the HPOP side.

You will be grateful you replaced them as well since the cost is minimal and the old ones will be in mediocre shape at best.
Another good idea!

You guys are right on target

What roadside service do you use?

Old 03-14-2017, 03:47 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I have a standard tow tune, but nothing really custom.

You think the SPTurbo wheel with the OEM turbo is good enough?
I have GH tunes as well now. Email them and get a "heavy tow" tune. This tune does very well when towing my 12K lbs 5th wheel. I rarely break 1000 degrees. If I use the "standard tow" tune, I have to drive by the EGT gauge.

They can get you a heavy tow before you leave and just upload it.

You can throw the wheel in there, it cannot hurt and will only help your EGT's keep cooler. Especially since you have it already, install it! The stock wheel will get the job done though if you cannot get to it in time.

Another good idea!

You guys are right on target

What roadside service do you use?
I use Good Sam and signed up for a 5 year contract. If you call and haggle with them, they will drop about 15% off the cost right off the bat. I went with them because they were one of the few that I thought could handle a travel trailer or 5th wheel and the truck. There are a lot of gripes about Good Sam out there, but just as many for the other companies as well.

Do some research and decide who you would feel comfortable with. Have someone though, because if you are out in the middle of nowhere and you have to have your truck towed it will be a fortune. Then, try getting a price to have the trailer towed, you will not be happy. Recovery service is like insurance, you hope you never need it and just keep paying for it. But, if you need it and don't have it, your screwed.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:22 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
I have GH tunes as well now. Email them and get a "heavy tow" tune. This tune does very well when towing my 12K lbs 5th wheel. I rarely break 1000 degrees. If I use the "standard tow" tune, I have to drive by the EGT gauge.

They can get you a heavy tow before you leave and just upload it.

You can throw the wheel in there, it cannot hurt and will only help your EGT's keep cooler. Especially since you have it already, install it! The stock wheel will get the job done though if you cannot get to it in time.

I use Good Sam and signed up for a 5 year contract. If you call and haggle with them, they will drop about 15% off the cost right off the bat. I went with them because they were one of the few that I thought could handle a travel trailer or 5th wheel and the truck. There are a lot of gripes about Good Sam out there, but just as many for the other companies as well.

Do some research and decide who you would feel comfortable with. Have someone though, because if you are out in the middle of nowhere and you have to have your truck towed it will be a fortune. Then, try getting a price to have the trailer towed, you will not be happy. Recovery service is like insurance, you hope you never need it and just keep paying for it. But, if you need it and don't have it, your screwed.
I have a heavy tow tune and some others. I say they aren't "custom" because they sent me some canned tunes that sort of matched my setup, but seem open to adjust them as I need it. I didn't need it yet, except to fix the trans shifting, which was their mistake, but not hard to fix.

I've heard that GoodSam and CoachNet are the players if you want vehicle + trailer to be recovered. But I've also heard a wide variety of opinions about them, too

I am very interested in opinions of anyone who had their vehicle and camper towed, if you know someone?

You're right that it is smart to have something

You like Allstays? How much is that?

Do you have a GPS for the height and length of your campers? I've looked at some, but nothing conclusive yet.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:56 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Be sure to read up closely on the roadside assistance programs. If I'm not mistaken Good Sams and Coach .NET Will tow you to "a nearby repair facility"..but AAA will tow you and your camper up to 200 miles to "a destination of your choice". So being a DIYer it may be a case where you may just want to be towed to a campground or a Wal-Mart to await parts.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:04 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Be sure to read up closely on the roadside assistance programs. If I'm not mistaken Good Sams and Coach .NET Will tow you to "a nearby repair facility"..but AAA will tow you and your camper up to 200 miles to "a destination of your choice". So being a DIYer it may be a case where you may just want to be towed to a campground or a Wal-Mart to await parts.
I was under the impression AAA only towed the vehicle, not the camper? Is there a special plan that does?

I've been looking at the GoodSam Roadside Assistance program. They were pretty bad about handling accounts a few years ago. I really didn't need them with our current camper, but this one and this kind of trip I do agree I should have something

Any info is desired and appreciated!

Old 03-14-2017, 06:17 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Yes AAA does have an rv plan.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:54 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Yes AAA does have an rv plan.
Thanks, I've been trying to check them out. (I think it's a secret in PA, LOL)

But I finally found the site, which has no link from their PA site that I could find. Not to worry, me and Mr. Goggle are good friends

Quick Reply: Haulin' 10k camper with Excursion- turbo? Others?