1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Haulin' 10k camper with Excursion- turbo? Others?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 11:47 AM
tjmike
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These are the codes that I got (At least I'm pretty sure they are).

P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input)
P1702 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Intermittent

Once I stopped using the OD button I stopped getting the codes.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:50 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I would have to guess that means you have a short or loose wire in your column or shifter.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:29 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Transmission Error Code

Here is the code:

P0783 3-4 Shift Malfunction

Ideas?

Full codes:

Old 03-19-2017, 03:54 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
I found this information, not sure if it is related to my problem or not?

I ran across this old TSB, not sure if it may have any relavance to my trans problem or not..

"2002 False Cam Position Sensor Code, Delayed 3-4 shift:
Some 2002 trucks may have an intermittent reaccuring code P0344 for the cam position sensor with no driveability problems, and/or a delayed 3-4 upshift (automatic transmission) at light throttle due to the toreque converter not locking up after the 2-3 upshift. This may be more noticable on trucks with 3.73 rear axle ratios. It's recommended to reprogram the powertrain computer with the latest calibration.
TSB #03-21-48."

I also ran across this broadcast message...

"2001-2002 Trucks with 4R100 Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Codes:
Some trucks build between 1-1-01 to 5-1-02 may exhibit a flashing OD light and possibly harsh shifting, with any or all of the following trouble codes: P0740, P0741, P0743, P1744. This may be due to high resistance in the torque converter clutch solenoid, which results in lower torque converter lock pressures. The transmission solenoid body should be replace with P/N F81Z-7G391-CB to correct. Broadcast Message 3559"

And yet another...

"2002 Calibration Update:
There has been a calibration update for 2002 PowerStrokes. Included in the update are Tear-Tag codes AEB3, GDU3, ZRE3, VDH3, KEK3, BXE3, VDU3, QLJ3, NQW3, HPI3, VLB3, HJH3 and IQW3. Enhanced diagnostics include improvements to the self test and scan tool fix, reduced occurance of false P0340 cam position sensor code and fix for the perceived late 3-4 shift on F-Series and Excursions. Broadcast Message 2338."

I'm not saying these may or may not have anything to do with my problem, just thought they were interesting and may help with the diagnosis of my trans problem.
Here is the link: (post 7) Need Some Help from the Trans Experts... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Old 03-19-2017, 04:47 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
I've heard that GoodSam and CoachNet are the players if you want vehicle + trailer to be recovered. But I've also heard a wide variety of opinions about them, too

I am very interested in opinions of anyone who had their vehicle and camper towed, if you know someone?
I know I'm late to the party, and you've already made your choice, but I figure I'd still post up my experience.

It happened a couple years ago when I was coming back from a weekend at Pismo Beach. I was headed back up 101 to Monterey when a couple in another car honked to get my attention, alerting me to smoking trailer tires. Once I pulled over I discovered bearing grease all over the outside wheel on the passenger side of my travel-trailer, so I called Good Sam. It was a Sunday evening so I wasn't surprised it took a little over a couple hours to get someone out to me, but when he arrived, I disconnected and he pulled my trailer up onto his flatbed and hauled it back to Paso Robles for me, to the nearest trailer repair facility.

All in all, Good Sam came through for me and saved me a ton of money...Good Sam, not Geico.

...and was using the shifter switch to turn off the O/D on hills and such.
If I may, why were you automatically turning off O/D on hills? Was the trans "hunting" for gears?

Stewart

Old 03-19-2017, 06:30 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I know I'm late to the party
Never too late, come on in, we saved a cold one for ya!
All in all, Good Sam came through for me and saved me a ton of money...Good Sam, not Geico.
Good on Good Sam I've heard lots of good things about them. It was the 'we attempt to bring the parts to have you fixed' that sold me on USRider. But I reserve the right to try out GS later

If I may, why were you automatically turning off O/D on hills? Was the trans "hunting" for gears?
[/QUOTE]

Isn't it the "way to do it" with our 4R100s?

Truth be told, I was watching my gauges, trying it all out. Seeing if I could maintain 50-60mph on our steep hills, what the rpms were, how the trans temp and engine oil temp responded, etc.

I don't have my EGT gauges hooked up yet, so also didn't want to lug too much, to be safe.

The "delayed O/D engaging" seems reasonable, since it was when lugging as it didn't seem to complain- especially on level or medium grades.

I just hope nothing is wrong with my trans. I am rolling on 35s and now starting to tow heavy and planning on more.

I'm hoping to get more rounds for my buckzooka to replace/rebuild with HD NEXT YEAR. But so far it seems they don't even make rounds for MY buckzooka anymore (nod to Tugly )

I also want to make sure I am not doing something STUPID and hurting my 192k transmission

We're in a pretty big money stretch to do this traveling before my daughter graduates and goes on her own- there will come a day when Peter wants to know why I robbed him

So we've got to be frugal and smart...though LUCKY is not unwelcomed

Old 03-19-2017, 06:52 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Dumb question: Can a torque converter be replaced without the transmission? Any benefit in my situation?

I have the JW valve body. If I spring for a HD torque converter of sorts now, then the rest of the trans next year?

I've read that doing a trans without TC is BAD and if a TC goes bad, pieces take out the trans, hence some folks add an inline trans filter.

I don't pretend to know ANYTHING about transmissions

Old 03-20-2017, 06:33 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I've seen stuff like this before on another member's truck, and it turned out to be nothing. You may very well need that reburn you mentioned.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tugly
I've seen stuff like this before on another member's truck, and it turned out to be nothing. You may very well need that reburn you mentioned.
Thanks, Rich

So I just call up any Ford dealer? Any downside to having them reflash my PCM?

I guess ignoring the error isn't wise, since I won't know if there is a "real" error hiding behind the flashing O/D light...

Thanks!

Old 03-20-2017, 10:49 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
You think a TPMS is expensive? What's your deductible for insurance if a trailer tire blows, damages the camper and/or takes out the tire next to it?

I paid $500 for my TPMS system. It monitors all four trailer tires and all four truck tires from one console.
Andy is correct and you can spend even less:
TPMS TPMS
Tom, aka WE3ZS turned me on to the unit in the link.

Enjoy your trip.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:01 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mecdac
Andy is correct and you can spend even less: TPMS Tom, aka WE3ZS turned me on to the unit in the link.

Enjoy your trip.
"Currently Unavailable"

Big Oil must be onto you, cutting into their tire mfg sales

Thanks, we have a little time before we can go. Though we did sleep in the camper last night at "Camp Driveway" to go through some things

Old 03-20-2017, 11:09 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
I installed a TC from Bob Riley (DieselSite) without going through the rest of the trans. I did however use their remote trans filter for a couple of years. Never had an issue.

And about manual button the OD? Put it in gear and go, unless the trans is hunting for a gear, just drive it.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:13 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
It was always my understanding that after you went above the 50psi, and definitely above 65psi that metal stems were required?

I remember reading some time ago that regular stems were only good to 60 or 65psi max, then into metal stems and seals, when I was upgrading the 4Runner tires years ago. I may not have the psi numbers correct, though, this is a "recollection"
Look at the valve stems on the "X"....odds are they are rubber "snap" in. I had my tire guy put metal stems on my horse trailer...the rubber stems seemed to stand up to a horse pawing at the rim than the metal. 10ply tires aired up to 80psi.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:38 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
"Currently Unavailable"

Big Oil must be onto you, cutting into their tire mfg sales

Thanks, we have a little time before we can go. Though we did sleep in the camper last night at "Camp Driveway" to go through some things

Here's the one I bought:

TireMinder Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System with Booster - 6-Wheel TM66-M6 Kit - TireMinder TM66-M6 - Tire Accessories - Camping World

It's available!

Old 03-20-2017, 03:35 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tjmike
Make sure you have clearance for 16" before pulling the trigger.

As far as tire brands go, for LT I'll only buy Maxxis, at least until I have a a few blowouts that I can attribute to just the tire.
Okay, more on the trailer tires...

I can fit 16" tires with clearance all around. The axles are pretty close together, with just over 4.75" between the tires now.

Going from 225/75R15 to 235/85R16 would be 2.52" larger diameter, so that inter-tire space would drop to 2.23"

Here's the calculations:

What is the minimum tire to tire space considered as okay? I would think 2 inches, just to be safe from deformities, suspension tweaking, etc. But that is speculation. The odds of BOTH axles flexing and deforming in opposite directions as the same time...likely not.

Width is no problem at all .39" wider, so less than a quarter inch on inside and outside.

I'm planning on going to Load range E. It has Mission brand, Load range D on it for a really long time.

I can't paint for squat, else I'd just sandblast and paint the wheels and stick with 15 inch.

But the white paint is peeled in spots with some surface rust showing through in spots. Not "nice" looking. They don't have to look like a million bucks for us, but I don't want something all rusted looking, either.

We have had Loadstar on alloy wheels on our Hybrid for a couple of years and ZERO complaints. Handles very nicely, handles extremely well.

Quick Reply: Haulin' 10k camper with Excursion- turbo? Others?