2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Distance to empty and what Is left in the tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 12:55 PM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by frogracer
With the 34gal tanks I would think a re-programming of the computer to calculate correctly would be in order. This way it would be a quick flash at your next service call.

Has anyone tried this yet???? Asking the dealer to re-program or flash the truck to fix the reserve issue? I thought we were waiting for Ford to say or do something about the 34...but kind of lost track on where we were at on this Forum. I think most...myself included...have just accepted it like it's going to be.....5 gallons of fuel left at 0 miles until empty. Can someone chime in who has asked a dealer to look at it or fix it?? Thanks.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:21 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
One more confirmation of the reserve size. If we can find something in FORScan, this will be the first forum to find out about it.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:08 AM
BigJoeT
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kenv
Has anyone tried this yet???? Asking the dealer to re-program or flash the truck to fix the reserve issue? I thought we were waiting for Ford to say or do something about the 34...but kind of lost track on where we were at on this Forum. I think most...myself included...have just accepted it like it's going to be.....5 gallons of fuel left at 0 miles until empty. Can someone chime in who has asked a dealer to look at it or fix it?? Thanks.
I brought my truck in a couple weeks ago and had them look at the fuel tank issue and the xm traffic issue. They contacted ford and ultimately came back and said while they are aware of the issues, there is no fix for them.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:56 AM
JT_Guitar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Job 2 CCSB here... went to about 40 MTE and filled with 29 gallons. At the 17 mpg I'm getting 3 to 4 gallons reserve is fine with me. YMMV.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:34 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnpsz
I'm not a ford engineer but I have built a couple fuel tanks in my time, and normally you don't have the float hit the bottom of the tank, 90% of the time you are about 1/2 to an inch from the bottom of the tank when the float is fully extended (down). Therefore, if you think about it, how will the truck know you have more fuel than the float at it's fullest extension, it cannot. And for my second point, take that say 1/2 inch deep of fuel and cover the bottom surface of the entire tank, the larger tanks will have a larger amount of fuel left in it after the sensor says it's empty, and why the guys with a 48 gal (larger) tank sees more left in the tank than guys with the smaller tank.

Also remember guys, just because there is a reserve (extra fuel in there, not truly a reserve), doesn't mean you will be able to use it all in all situations. Any hills that pulls the fuel out of the pickup pot can leave you stranded even if you were able to go XX miles past 0 DTE last time.
Not to dispute your opinion but for years empty meant empty. Not 4-5 gallons sloshing around. The gauge is correct on the 48 gallon tank and the 29 gallon tank. Why not on the 34 gallon tank? Or does Ford think 34 gallon tank buyers are not smart enough to recognize 0 miles to empty is a problem? At zero to empty I can barely squeeze in 27.5 gallons. In my world this is not right: the gauge should read 102 miles to empty or thereabouts. On my last Superduty 25 miles to empty would take 37 gallons in a 39 gallon tank. That is the way it should be.

The dealer has no updates to flash the module. Titan tank won't commit to producing a tank for extended cab long box trucks. Transfer flow will have a 60 gallon replacement out in May. We will be started on a 4 month trip by then so I may have to find a dealer somewhere out west or go to their facility in Chico and have them fit the tank. Flat $250 installation charge and any issues with the install should be resolved right at the source. A few hundred miles off course but worth it for the extra capacity and hopefully correct readings on the gauge. At least with 60 gallons even 6 gallons left in the tank is not such a big deal.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:15 AM
f350ktm
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Rasalas
.... Transfer flow will have a 60 gallon replacement out in May. We will be started on a 4 month trip by then so I may have to find a dealer somewhere out west or go to their facility in Chico and have them fit the tank. Flat $250 installation charge and any issues with the install should be resolved right at the source. A few hundred miles off course but worth it for the extra capacity and hopefully correct readings on the gauge. At least with 60 gallons even 6 gallons left in the tank is not such a big deal.
Hey Rasalas. I had my auxiliary tank installed at the Transfer Flow facility in Chico back in '02. Have also had a number of contacts with them since and my experience has always been a good one.

At the time they ran specials during the year for free installation, perhaps they have a newsletter you can sign up for? I took a walk and had a nice lunch while waiting for mine to be done.

If your travels take you along Hwy 80 in California feel free to contact me if you need a place to park for the night, lots of room here. I am in Grass Valley.
Mark

Old 03-22-2017, 02:01 PM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Lightbulb Fuel Tank "Capacity"

Here's the fine print buried in OM pages 195 and 196:

FUEL CONSUMPTION

The advertised capacity is the maximum amount of fuel that you can add to the fuel tank after running out of fuel. Included in the advertised capacity is an empty reserve. The empty reserve is an unspecified amount of fuel that remains in the fuel tank when the fuel gauge indicates empty.

Note: The amount of fuel in the empty reserve varies and should not be relied upon to increase driving range.
HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 03-22-2017, 04:35 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by f350ktm
Hey Rasalas. I had my auxiliary tank installed at the Transfer Flow facility in Chico back in '02. Have also had a number of contacts with them since and my experience has always been a good one.

At the time they ran specials during the year for free installation, perhaps they have a newsletter you can sign up for? I took a walk and had a nice lunch while waiting for mine to be done.

If your travels take you along Hwy 80 in California feel free to contact me if you need a place to park for the night, lots of room here. I am in Grass Valley.
Mark
Great to hear a good review - and offer. My wife and I are leaving WNY for Alaska in the beginning of May with the truck and slide in camper. Anticipated time is 4 months so in spite of wanting to get there a diversion to Chico could be worth the trip to get the tank, if available. They also indicated one of their biggest distributors is in Anchorage, Bob Truck Equipment. Either way I hate long journeys when there are signs "200 miles to the next service." That means the last guy has a license to charge double. And I hate having to chase down stations even once a day, none the less twice. So thanks, if there I'll be in touch. We don't take up much room.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:07 PM
Kevin611
Freshman User
Just filled up today at with 30 miles to empty and only took 27.3 gallons my truck is a 34 gallon tank as well...

Old 03-22-2017, 10:53 PM
rapracing
Junior User
Originally Posted by wec512
I have the 34 gal tank. Went to 16 MTE and it took 27.5gal. Next time I ran it 24 miles past 0 MTE and it took 30.6 gal.
Mine is supposed to be 34 as well. I have had similar experience. One time 119 MTE and it took 22 gallon. Another 8 MTE and it took 28. The needle was on the E in the last one. I'll probably fill up tomorrow sometime, it's at around 130 MTE right now.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:35 AM
Benny996
Senior User
Sorry for the hi-jack of thread, but having the 48 gallon tank is kind of being a pita right now. My local Mobil stations stop the pump at 100 bucks, so I have to reinsert my debit card and start filling up again. This isn't really a problem but when the next person pulls up to my pump they are probably thinking WTF that guy only got 4 gallons of fuel?

Old 03-23-2017, 08:52 AM
f350ktm
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Benny996
Sorry for the hi-jack of thread, but having the 48 gallon tank is kind of being a pita right now. My local Mobil stations stop the pump at 100 bucks, so I have to reinsert my debit card and start filling up again. This isn't really a problem but when the next person pulls up to my pump they are probably thinking WTF that guy only got 4 gallons of fuel?
Mark's Truism of Life # 023:
Fuel capacity is a high list luxury.

Think again before taking your capacity for granted. I have definitely moved this luxury down to my necessity list. My present truck has a 65 gal. capacity and now that I have become spoiled I'm addicted and can't go back.

I'll be needing to pay a good price to get your amount of capacity when my '17 gets here and would gladly swap tanks with you if I could only fit yours on my new truck.

I do share your frustration however with the stations that limit sale amount. I belong to a cardlock fueling company (CFN) and mostly avoid gas stations. For those unfamiliar with cardlocks CFN has over 50,000 locations many unmanned 24 hour stations, the network is also available at many regular stations. Swipe, pump, and get billed at the end of the month.

There are a variety of cardlock companies out there.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:38 PM
rapracing
Junior User
I got around to filling up again today. Truck said 32MTE. It took 27.2 Gallon to fill it.

Seems pretty consistant. Between 4 and 5 gallon will be left at E.

Anyone going to give it a whirl and let us know when it runs out??

Old 03-25-2017, 12:11 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
You guys should stop worrying about what the next guy thinks of the 4 gallon topoff. At 39 gallons in the last truck, just a few years ago when fuel was around $5.00 some stations were so limited I had to swipe up to three times. I wish the card was made out of Charmin. But I would always get it all done with at one stop rather than three, especially when a supplier was .30 or .40 less than the next one down the road. Capacity is king for me. 27.5 gallons reading 0 MTE sxcks.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:44 AM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rapracing
I got around to filling up again today. Truck said 32MTE. It took 27.2 Gallon to fill it.

Seems pretty consistant. Between 4 and 5 gallon will be left at E.

Anyone going to give it a whirl and let us know when it runs out??

This was determined months ago.....5 gallons reserve at 0 until empty. No one needs to run it dry.....you get 5 more gallons at about 15 mpg average. Then you run out.....

Quick Reply: Distance to empty and what Is left in the tank