Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Late 99 with same problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 06:07 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Late 99 with same problem.

Well hello my 7.3 friends I hope Tugly is on. Original problem, no trouble codes or SES light. contribution test, PO266 cyl 2, PO272 cyl 4, PO284 cyl, 8 no contribution. No trouble codes. Buzz test can hear all 8 with a strong rattle. Originally I thought I had plugged injectors, from lots of clay like material in the fuel bowl, and the aftermarket fuel filter was not sitting right in the housing. Cleaned it all out, dropped the tank, cleaned did the hutch mod, while there. Installed Full Force Diesel stage 2 injectors, 180cc with 100% nozzles, single shot. changed both valve cover gaskets, Blew my PCM when the TS6 chip was reburned by full force. Swamps rebuilt the PCM and sold me a custom TS6, they said the chip had a melt hole in it. So now I have the same problem, runs terrible, same codes as before same 3 cylinders not contributing but now have massive amounts of smoke from exhaust, all the time idle, cruising and God forbid I accelerate. pulled drivers valve cover, did a squeeze test all cylinders are up there, push rods look good as does the rocker arms. Got the money bazooka in this engine and cant even drive it, cops are giving me the I want to turn around and right a ticket look! whoooo sorry I am winded. and body with some ideas out there, Simple motor with a stupid problem and a professional heavy diesel mechanic is at a loss. Any Ideas from any one???????

Old 03-12-2017, 07:53 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Since all your woes are on your driver side, I would first click the UVCH link in my signature. There are many times where the injectors buzz and the codes aren't there (for whatever reason), but yet the UVCH still isn't up to par.

This could also be a fuel delivery problem to just one head, and I'd like to know what your ICP/IPR are doing.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:07 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Thanks for the reply Tugly I will get the numbers from the ICP ect. I replaced both uvch, but I did not splice in the new pigtails that came with them as the factory harness looked good, meaning clean terminals wiring to plug tight, no looseness that would indicate burnt wiring ect. I do believe a fuel problem could be part or all of the problem, as I got bad fuel, and a clay type dirt was in the filter and bowl, causing the original injectors to plug. I did blow the head and fuel supply line to the head out before installing the new injectors. I will get back on it and give you the info, thanks again. Semper Fi

Old 03-12-2017, 10:06 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

Since it is all one side it does sound electrical. Do you have access to an IDM you could try? Have you Ohmed out the harnesses from the IDM to the 42 pin connector and from there to the UVCH? If you live in one of those places that salt the roads in the winter you could have some corrosion in one of your connectors.

Have you looked at the 42 pin harness where it crosses the valve cover?

Old 03-12-2017, 11:57 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Yes did at the drivers valve cover connector all are reading 3 ohms, and pulled apart my cold air intake to get to the IDM, have good connections and ohm'd from the IDM to that 42 pin connection and all have good continuity. I used some dialectric greased when I reassembled them. I think it's fuel, my tank was filled with a very fine sand, cant even call it sand it was so fine. The fuel bowl was filled with it and a filter that was replaced 2 months earlier was blocked with it. I have to go over that again and see what I missed, thanks for the help. sending ya a rep!!

Old 03-12-2017, 12:41 PM
eckart
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
if ICP/IPR checks out I would check cyl 2 4 8 with a heat gun to see if they are throwing the same heat as the rest. unbolt that exhaust manifold from the head and run it to see if they are the cause of the smoke.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by David7.3
and pulled apart my cold air intake to get to the IDM, have good connections and ohm'd from the IDM to that 42 pin connection and all have good continuity.
I'm thinking that you checked your PCM, that's on the firewall in the area you have identified. The IDM is accessible under the fender, you have to loosen the fender liner and come up from the bottom of the fender to get at it, towards the rear of the fender.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:00 PM
David7.3
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I'm thinking that you checked your PCM, that's on the firewall in the area you have identified. The IDM is accessible under the fender, you have to loosen the fender liner and come up from the bottom of the fender to get at it, towards the rear of the fender.
I removed my S&B cold air intake and battery to gain access to the IDM, the PCM was just rebuild and programmed by Swamps, and installed there Hydra ST chip to run with the Full Force 180/100% injectors. Before I did this I had cyl 2 and 4 dry firing and with 280,000 miles on her, they were due. Now I have the same Cylinder contribution codes for 2 and 4 as before but tons of smoke. I am thinking the injectors got that crud in them and are just dumping fuel. I unbolted the baby but and the smoke was only on the drivers side. So I am going to flush the head and fuel line feeding the drivers side and see what comes out, when I pulled the 2 and 4 injector no fuel came out, when I pulled no. 6 it dumped fuel into the cylinder as expected. and when I cranked the engine over after I used the mighty vac fuel only came from cyl 6, almost like the passage way in the heads were blocked to feed the injector. I blew out the fuel line, and the fitting in the head and was confident I opened the blocked passages. But there is something else going on here. Got more research to do!! Thanks for the help

Old 03-12-2017, 02:12 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I used some dialectric greased when I reassembled them."
__________________________________________________ _____________________
Did you use it to just "seal" the connectors or did you get a bunch on the connections themselvs? Dielectric grease is not a conductor, it is a sealant. I know that people use it inside the connectors with success but there was most likely a thin film that was wiped clean when the contacts made up.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:24 PM
David7.3
Postmaster
just to seal up the connector, the IDM is in a bad spot lots of road salt from our winters, contacts were clean, but I would rather be safe than sorry. there is alot of lift and space between the tire and wheel well. But it still splashes around!

Old 03-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I didn't know that you could get to the IDM that way, thanks for that.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:51 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by eckart
if ICP/IPR checks out I would check cyl 2 4 8 with a heat gun to see if they are throwing the same heat as the rest. unbolt that exhaust manifold from the head and run it to see if they are the cause of the smoke.
I wouldn't want to be the one to break the seal on the manifolds, but that's me.

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I didn't know that you could get to the IDM that way, thanks for that.
I can't, and not for lack of trying. It's outside the fender well.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:05 PM
David7.3
Postmaster
By the looks of the manifold bolts, that goes to the bottom of the list tugly!!

Old 03-13-2017, 11:10 PM
pirschwagon
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here is a process for testing the P1316. Perhaps you can narrow it down further.

DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P1316 INDICATES THAT CODES ARE STORED IN THE IDM

Possible causes:

a. Injector(s) or circuit(s)

b. Open or shorted IDM enable circuit

c. Open/short in EF circuit

d. Open/short in FDCS circuit

e. IDM relay

f. IDM powering circuits

g. IDM

h. PCM

Check for other codes.

Key on, engine off. (KOEO)

Perform KOEO On-Demand Self-Test.

P1316 OR P1670, CHECK FOR AN INTERMITTENT OPEN CIRCUIT

KEY OFF.

Install breakout box, leave PCM disconnected.

Disconnect IDM.

Check for intermittent open in the following circuits:

Measure resistance on (FDCS) Circuit 821 (BR/O) between IDM connector Pin 17 and PCM Test Pin 95.

Measure resistance on (EF) Circuit 818 (GY/W) between IDM connector Pin 4 and PCM Test Pin 48.

Grasp the harness close to the IDM connector. Wiggle, shake the harness while working your way back to the PCM, while looking for a spike on the DVOM.

Description The IDM provides the EF output signal to the PCM to confirm that proper timing/duration of fuel delivery command signal (FDCS) was received. Additionally, the EF signal is used to send diagnostics of the IDM and injectors (electrical) to the PCM.

DTC Description

P1668 = PCM-IDM diagnostic communication error

P1670 = Electronic feedback signal not detected

P1316 = Indicates that IDM DTCs are stored within the IDM

DTC P1668 and P1670 indicates that a communication error has occurred between the PCM and the IDM.

Possible causes:

a. Open fuse

b. IDM relay

c. Open or shorted IDM enable circuit

d. Open/short in EF circuit

e. Open/short in FDCS circuit

f. IDM powering circuits

g. PCM

h. Check for other codes.

KOEO:

Perform KOEO On-Demand Self-Test and retrieve Continuous DTCs.

CHECK CIRCUIT 818 (GY/W) FOR OPEN

Install breakout box; leave PCM disconnected.

Disconnect the IDM harness connector.

Measure resistance on Circuit 818 (GY/W) between PCM Test Pin 48 and IDM harness connector Pin 4.

Key on, engine off. Measure for voltage on Circuit 818 (GY/W) between PCM Test Pin 48 and battery ground.

Turn ignition switch to OFF. Measure resistance on Circuit 359 (GY/R) between PCM Test Pin 91 and IDM connector Pin 2.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:27 PM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You may need to pull those heads unfortunately. Once fine clay gets into an engine, it can be impossible to prevent injector clogging. I worked on a dozer years ago with HEUI injectors that had the same problem. I finally got tired of the farmer calling me saying it quit again. His son and I pulled the head and had it cleaned at a machine shop. After that I wouldn't work on his dozer cause he wouldn't use oem filters and he bought old fuel. New injectors and a valve lap made it run great again. That clay sticks in the oil gallery until vibration makes it shake loose again.
Larry

Quick Reply: Late 99 with same problem.