1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crew cab running boards on a super cab?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 08:49 PM
sikfish
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crew cab running boards on a super cab?

I can get some chrome running boards from a buddy cheap, but he has a crew cab and i have a super cab. How much work would it take to fit them properly? I kind of like the ideal of the wheel to wheel boards you can buy.
thanks

Old 03-09-2017, 09:39 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly the real work will be where the running board mount parts are to the under part of the frame. I did this as well to an Ext Cab truck.

If you have the running boards that are are flat and not the tube style it will look fine, if you have the tube style that has the two plastic step pieces seperated by the indentation where the step on the bars are where the plastic is it might look a tad odd because they are for a crew cab and are positioned where the door openings would correspond to the bar.

Under the side of the truck their are points on the frame under the cab area where there are already holes for the clips that go into the holes on the frame where the brackets to the running boards mount.

Ford uses whats called a speed nut that is like a clip that the screw goes thru one hole in the mounting bracket and then into the speed nut

The speed nut:
Amazon Amazon

The technical description for the bolts is "SCR&WASH M8X1.25X33" ... It's a metric bolt with a pressed-on washer

I'd recommend that you use the speed nuts it should make it easier for ,mounting. You can find the Metric bolt like Ford uses online at ebay or amazon or go to a nut and bold fastener place and they should have them as well. If not you can just buy the screws and add some washers to them and use that to mount your boards

If you have the flat running boards, you can undo the brackets and slide them around to position them better for mounting to where the holes are on the frame you may have to drill a couple new holes where the brackets sit on the running board as I had to , but that is pretty minor

There was a thread someone else did on mounting running boards, now the thread

Thread link:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ng-boards.html

wasnt specific to what your going to do, but it really isnt that hard to move the brackets around and then mount them to the truck honestly, just make sure you get them centered how you want them to look on both sides of the truck, last thing you want to find out is they are too far ahead or too far back or one is further ahead than the other side

There are some pictures and what not one of the other fells postsed which should help you see what I was talking about where the speed nuts play a part on the holes on the frame where the brackets for the step bars mount to..just scroll thru that thread link and you will see what I am talking about.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:57 PM
sikfish
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks, I'll give that some thought.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:15 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,340 Likes on 1,749 Posts
I put Excursion running boards on my Crew Cab, some 16 years ago. The holes in the cab between the Crew Cab and the Excursion matched exactly for all five (5 per side) "L" brackets. I bought 20 more speed nuts and 20 more metric bolts, so as to have 4 bolts per bracket instead of only two.

If the Excursion body bolt holes matched the Crew Cab, even though the Excursion running boards are at least a half foot longer than the Crew Cab, it could be possible that the bolt holes of the Super Cab might match the Crew Cab, at least for the length of the Super Cab than can fit bolt holes. That's something you'll have to lay under each cab and measure.