Boat Trailer Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 11:25 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boat Trailer Brakes

Well I am going to be rebuilding the brake system on my boat trailer this spring and hoping to get some input from some of you guys who have done brakes on boat trailers. Mind you for you guys that don't have a boat trailer that boat trailers have surge brakes or electric over hydraulic.

I'm thinking replace the master cylinder, all brake lines, new loaded backing plates and have the drums cut or replaced also.

My trailer is a 1982 EZ Loader with 6 lug with bolts not studs 16.5 wheels with surge brakes on both axles. I have no rating sticker on the trailer so I have no idea what axles are under it. The boat & trailer weight 8k to 8500lbs and the trailer was set up for this boat when it was new. Mind you I have had this boat & trailer for over 20 yrs. and all I have ever done is repack bearings and had to deal with the surge part sticking to the point I would have to give it a good hard pull to unlock brakes. That is why I am going to just rebuild the system or upgrade it all together. I looked into the electric over hydraulic for 2 axles and it was over $1000 which is too costly for me. So if anyone has found any discount boat trailer parts or have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks

Oh yea the 16.5 tires are also 20 yrs old and I haven't been able to find any 16.5's that I would put on my trailer. So I am going to buy 16" rims for it.
Any ideas there?? So far I have used Etrailer for other trailer parts but I am always looking for better deals.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:17 PM
sgeorge
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boat trailer fun. Ugh!!!

I am in the process of rebuilding my 10 year old Karavan Trailer as we speak, should finish it up this weekend. I have been using Pacific Trailers located in Chino California for my parts. Very fast shipping and good customer service if you have any questions. They seem to be a few dollars cheaper than Etrailer on most items that I needed. I am replacing everything but the axles and springs, all braking components are new. I converted a previous boat trailer I owned to Disc brakes due to the sticking issues of the brake drums. I found Disc brakes to be less problematic. I launch exclusively in salt water and the salt just destroys brakes no matter how **** you are about up keep. The new trailer is getting Disc brakes. You do need to make sure that you have an actuator that is made for disc brakes. In the salt water environment, Disc brakes just last longer, and when you need to repack bearings the calipers come off easier than drums.
PS - All hydraulic.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:45 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
My small single axle boat trailer has disc brakes and my large tandem axle boat trailer has drum brakes. Both are surge systems. I am going to have to rebuild/update my large trailer this year, too. I have been thinking about going to disc brakes and staying surge, but haven't locked into anything yet. I'll be watching to see what you do and how that works for you.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:33 PM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
This is the kit that I am going to switch to, has everything needed.

HydraStar Marine Electric Over Hydraulic Actuator w/ Breakaway and 7-Way RV Harness - 1,600 psi Hydrastar Trailer Brakes HS381-9067

They also have a fixed coupler to replace the sliding one.

Titan Zinc-Plated Straight-Tongue Coupler - 21,000 lbs Titan Straight Tongue Trailer Coupler T4853100

From my friends that have done the swap to electric over hydraulic they love it, the brakes now work when backing down the ramp.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:59 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by sgeorge
I am in the process of rebuilding my 10 year old Karavan Trailer as we speak, should finish it up this weekend. I have been using Pacific Trailers located in Chino California for my parts. Very fast shipping and good customer service if you have any questions. They seem to be a few dollars cheaper than Etrailer on most items that I needed. I am replacing everything but the axles and springs, all braking components are new. I converted a previous boat trailer I owned to Disc brakes due to the sticking issues of the brake drums. I found Disc brakes to be less problematic. I launch exclusively in salt water and the salt just destroys brakes no matter how **** you are about up keep. The new trailer is getting Disc brakes. You do need to make sure that you have an actuator that is made for disc brakes. In the salt water environment, Disc brakes just last longer, and when you need to repack bearings the calipers come off easier than drums.
PS - All hydraulic.
What size axles do you have on the Karavan?
What brand did you use? Did you go with a manual reverse lock out or electric? Now from what you have said and from I have read on the interweb disc brakes are the way to go. And as I start researching parts & kits I ran into salt testing results which explains cost differences.
http://www.kodiaktrailerbrakes.com/a.../corrosion.pdf
Now I boat in fresh water on Lake Michigan but I do have plans to take it to salt water once I get this trailer dailed in. But I am going to have to weigh the cost verse budget concerns????
Originally Posted by Toyman
This is the kit that I am going to switch to, has everything needed.

HydraStar Marine Electric Over Hydraulic Actuator w/ Breakaway and 7-Way RV Harness - 1,600 psi Hydrastar Trailer Brakes HS381-9067

They also have a fixed coupler to replace the sliding one.

Titan Zinc-Plated Straight-Tongue Coupler - 21,000 lbs Titan Straight Tongue Trailer Coupler T4853100

From my friends that have done the swap to electric over hydraulic they love it, the brakes now work when backing down the ramp.
Well thanks for the links ,,,, but that HydraStar is too costly for me. I would love to have electric over hydraulic but I can't see spending that kind of money on a 35 yr old trailer. But it would make towing my boat across country alot nicer. But for now I think I'll just do disc conversion and new wheels & tires. I also need to do exhaust flappers and bellows on my boat this year.

So as far as brand wise in brake kits I am seeing Titan and Kodiak is there any other quality brands you guys know of??

Thanks for all the input !!

Old 03-09-2017, 08:28 PM
sgeorge
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have two 3500 lb axles on my boat trailer, its only a 21 Cuddy Cabin. I went with Kodiak because they got the best reviews on all of the boating websites I frequent. I went with an electric lockout, manuals are a pain in the behind, because I never seemed to parked quite right to get the pin in the hitch. As far as brands another one is UFP made by Dexter. Good luck with the project, I don't think I have ever spoken so many cuss words before.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:30 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by sgeorge
I have two 3500 lb axles on my boat trailer, its only a 21 Cuddy Cabin. I went with Kodiak because they got the best reviews on all of the boating websites I frequent. I went with an electric lockout, manuals are a pain in the behind, because I never seemed to parked quite right to get the pin in the hitch. As far as brands another one is UFP made by Dexter. Good luck with the project, I don't think I have ever spoken so many cuss words before.
Thanks for your input ! I am already feeling the pain.... I have been pricing out 16" wheels and tires $900 with spare or I can replace just the 16.5 tires for $600.
Brake parts around $900 not including bolts, fuild and brake lines... all for a STUPID trailer!!!
And I haven't even started to fight with 35 yr old rusted parts YET?!?!
The things we do to get our boats to the water. But better that then being broke down on the side of the highway. Or at least that is what I keep telling myself.

My wife would rather spend that money on a boat slip for the season. But I am trying to explain that with a good trailer we can go to many different places.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:48 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm fortunate in that the boat ramp is only a couple blocks from my house, so I don't have far to go to get launched. However, my 1996 trailer is showing it's age in many ways, so I'm eventually going to have to do the same stuff. This trailer isn't original to the boat, so I may end up changing the axles while I'm at it.
I have a very steep driveway, so in order to increase clearance for the outdrive when I turn into the driveway, I am considering changing from the 15 inch wheels to 16 inch wheels. The downside is having to get deeper on the ramp for launch/recovery.

15 inch wheels with EZ lube hubs

The coupler is more of the same - it really needs to be replaced with something sexier.

Granny panties style coupler

I think that I'll eventually go the disc brake route too, so hope you keep this thread updated with what you choose, how easy it is to install, and how well it works.
Good luck!

Old 03-24-2017, 06:39 AM
Sancho
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boat trailer brakes are an endless moneypit.I ended up junking all the hydraulic stuff,and going with standard electric brakes. Run 2 seasons, then replace.