Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My brakes suck... there is something WRONG!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 11:09 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Thread hijacks and side trips are a given, but this has the chance to go sideways fast, so lets please stop discussing any social niceties or lack there-of and go back to discussing brakes please.

Apoc, hook up with someone who has AE and follow the procedure I have outlined in the brake flush thread I posted (you know where to find the link). Pay attention to the section outlining what to do if you think you have air in the HCU. You will need to use AE or any other tool giving you access to the ABS Hydraulic Control Unit to properly bleed the HCU.

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 03-09-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:34 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Thread hijacks and side trips are a given, but this has the chance to go sideways fast, so lets please stop discussing any social niceties or lack there-of and go back to discussing brakes please.
Really? Since when does any of Apoc's threads go sideways? LOL.

Hope you find the problem. You know if you had a 7.3L you wouldn't have this problem

Did you check to make sure one of your calipers isn't stuck? Happens...even on new ones

Old 03-10-2017, 07:34 AM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Sorry Apoc-I'm on Excursion #3. The brakes sucked on every one of them. The 2001 was the worst. The 04 and 05 have been respectable but if you're a speedy guy, stopping can be exciting--especially when you don't. I share your frustration with the brakes but I think the only way to make a significant after market change is to replace entire braking system with high performance system. You can improve stopping power but then you can't stop the money going out of our bank account...every X owner's achilles heel!

Old 03-10-2017, 09:11 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I have a 2000 and my brakes are decent. I don't expect an 8200# hog to stop like my Mini does.

I gave Apoc a suggestion earlier on how to check if the booster is working.... no answer yet.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:37 AM
Romanova
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In before Apoc posts some stupid, meaningless Memes to further derail his own thread.

Seriously though, start with the basics and re-bleed the system. Perhaps you screwed up and got air into the system when you replaced everything. If you have access to a decent air compressor, Harbor Freight makes an awesome bleeder for under $30 that will allow you to do them by yourself. Perhaps check the lines where they meet the calipers and make sure everything is tight.

When I flushed out my brakes and bled them, it made a huge difference in pedal-feel and overall stopping confidence.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:04 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Romanova
When I flushed out my brakes and bled them, it made a huge difference in pedal-feel and overall stopping confidence.
See, that's what I was expecting! Twitch and I bled the HELL out of my brakes and NOTHING changed. There is no way in hell that there is air in the lines, and even when we bled them no air ever came out. The fluid looked good we bled out as well so I don't think moisture was an issue either.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by andym
I gave Apoc a suggestion earlier on how to check if the booster is working.... no answer yet.
I've only driven it once since then and it was 11 last night when a fairweather friend called to have me come pull his girlfriend out of a ditch, tow them to a parking lot and change their tire... only for him to just have it towed (for free with his insurance) when the other tire was blown as well (THAT WAS AN OPTION THE WHOLE TIME?!?!?). He called and Wendy and I were there within 8 minutes and were hooking up the tow rope. Damn my wife sure can drive my truck well

Old 03-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Romanova
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A new MC is cheap, $52 for a Centric brand unit. A booster is a bit more... would certainly try previously described methods in this thread for further testing.

How exactly did you bleed the Ex? The lines to the rear are very long and if you did it by 'hand' (foot rather?) you might have missed something. That's why a good bleed tool is so important on an Excursion because it can quickly pull fluid. Speaking of fluid, how is the reservoir? Is it full or are you missing some fluid?

I'd start by draining the reservoir and refilling with fresh fluid, and then get a good bleed tool and bleed the brakes again PR, DR, PF, DF. Make sure you keep an eye on the reservoir so it doesn't go dry.

Start with the basics before you go throwing money at it.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:34 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
It's possible for air to be in the ABS module, so bleeding the lines perfectly won't help in that case.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:10 PM
Geoffcoop
Freshman User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to total hijack this thread. But only my front brakes work on my 03 Ex. Noticed on icy roads coming up to a busy intersection!!! We had the truck in the air in shop,slammed on the brakes HARD and they worked for 20 mins or so after that. Minor confusion here!!

Old 03-10-2017, 10:50 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Pedal traveling too far has always been a classic master cylinder problem. I had one go out on my first V-10 and it was exactly as you describe. In for a penny, in for a pound-might as well do the booster while you are at it. I've never had a booster go bad ever so I can't speak to it's symptoms but these are old trucks and seals deteriorate. I usually try to replace anything reasonable when I do a repair job like if I replace a radiator hose and the others haven't been replaced, I just do them all.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:05 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"My brakes suck... there is something WRONG!"

Maybe just maybe because you were part of the install?

Old 03-11-2017, 05:49 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Wendy was busy

Old 03-11-2017, 05:52 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
"My brakes suck... there is something WRONG!"

Or the brakes were a shady deal gone bad behind the parts store after dark.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:07 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
reading your first post again i want to confirm your main complaint is:

brake pedal requires a hard efford to make brakes function ?

an occasionsal sumptom is:

pedal effort is normal for 1 use after a rain

is this accurate ?

Quick Reply: My brakes suck... there is something WRONG!