1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New shocks - DIY? Rancho 9000XLs (or others?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 12:14 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New shocks - DIY? Rancho 9000XLs (or others?)

After wondering if the shocks on my FX4 F350 are junk (the level of bouncing and jumping over expansion joints is crazy), I did some research and read a lot of posts about the OEM FX4 shocks being junk right from the start. I'm guessing a combo of that fact, and almost 40k on them, make it time for a new set.

A lot of folks talk about Bilstein or Fox, some say Rancho, and then some other higher end stuff (king), but I'm pretty sure Bilstein, Fox or Rancho would fit the bill for me.

After reading over the pros and cons of each, I'm leaning towards Rancho 9000XLs. Truck has 38k miles and as far as I know has no extra lift (easy way to know?), factory or not. It sits about 81" high to the roof.

I'm not an off roader in the sense that I don't do it as a sport/hobby. Just lots of dirt roads around the lakehouse and northern NH. But nothing crazy. And I tow, but not a huge trailer. A 6,000 pounds trailer snowmobile trailer when fully loaded. So I'm not looking at reservoir models and stuff like that.

A few things I'm trying to be careful of.

1. I don't want to reduce the GVWR of the truck at all with the replacements. I don't believe shocks do anything related to that, but just making sure.
2. I'm not looking to change the height of the truck at all. In fact, if it raises it at all, that's a problem. I like having the truck in the garage at night, and right now I only clear the roof by 1/2".
3. The reason I'm doing this is just ride quality and control. I know it's a 350 and it's going to have a stiff ride. I'm fine with that. Just looking to overall improve the ride quality as best I can, and not change the truck's capabilities downward in any way.
4. I'm not afraid of spending the money for the right shock for my needs, but also not looking to just spend money just because. To me they are "just shocks."

I misguided on my choice? Should I consider Fox, Bilstein HDs, 5100s or Rancho 7000s?

And lastly, is this a job you can do in your driveway without a lift, or should I bring it someone? They aren't coil over spring, so not seeing the difficulty there like it would be with a coil over design.

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2017, 01:12 PM
Bumblebee04
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shocks only dampen the spring recoil. Ride height and GVWR will be unaffected with any brand you choose.

I have no experience with either of those brands, but I have read the bilsteins are a good aftermarket choice.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:12 PM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Shocks do not change the height or weight carrying ability of the truck those are both determined by the springs. There is no factory lift the only way one is the difference in springs selected and engine choice or both so if you have 2 identical trucks and he has 5200lb springs and the other has 6000lb springs the truck with the heavier spring will sit a bit higher but it's not enough of a difference to get shocks for for a lifted front end. Most of the stock height replacement shocks work with up to 2 or 2.5" leveling kits but again there is no factory lift if you haven't modified the suspension you get stock height shocks.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:28 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Thanks. I actually just updated my main post too, as I didn't see replies. After much more reading, I think I'm set on Rancho 9000XLs.

I have a PSD too, so heavier front end than gas model.

Seems like a lot of guys talk about doing this themselves. Is it possible without a lift? Could I kill myself trying to get these things in? LOL. Thinking of the old days with coil over and struts.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:30 PM
mattymax
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 45 Posts
I didn't a ton of research on these and went with the Bilstein 5100 and they are a great match for the 350. Makes the ride more "in control" Loaded down with salt and a plow and they perform great. Worth every penny.

If you can do them yourself is kind of hard to tell without knowing you personally. Everyone has their limits and knowledge. There isn't anything trickey about doing them though.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:31 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
I'm very mechanical and handy. Can do pretty much anything I put my mind too, and have a pretty solid tool setup. But just thinking about suspension work on a big truck, rolling around underneath on the ground, how possible it is. Plus, getting the bolts out of the OEM shocks, if rusted and stuff.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:35 PM
mattymax
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 45 Posts
Breaker bar. The weight of the truck is held by the springs and leafs.

I dealt with a lot of rust on my 08' and tight bolts. That breaker bar makes it doable without air

Old 03-07-2017, 01:41 PM
YouDon'tKnowMe
Senior User
I've been leaning towards Fox 2.0, a little more money especially since Rancho has the 100$ rebate right now. I just worry about them being a little too soft but I know they will hold up better to salt

Old 03-07-2017, 02:02 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Originally Posted by YouDon'tKnowMe
I've been leaning towards Fox 2.0, a little more money especially since Rancho has the 100$ rebate right now. I just worry about them being a little too soft but I know they will hold up better to salt
The Fox 2.0 performance were my leading candidates, and then I read a bunch of folks saying they felt they were too hard. So I came back to the 9000XLs which are adjustable and folks seem really happy with them.

I had Rancho 5000s on an Armada for 4 years and not rust at all, so not as worried about that as I was when I first started this thread.

So on doing this yourself, are the shocks not really under that much pressure? Do you need to jack the truck up at all, or can it be sitting on it's tires? I'm sure I can find some posts online about how to do this...I do have air tools too, and 3/4" impact wrenches to help with removal...

Old 03-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Bumblebee04
Senior User
Easy job to do yourself. Only tool you may need is a MAP gas torch if the bolts are really rusted. Most hardware stores carry them & they're very handy to have unless you know someone with an oxygen & acetylene torch.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:13 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
I have a MAP torch if needed. I'll soak the bolts in some PB Blaster, and I bet they come off. I assume for the front tires need to be off to get to the bolts, or can you really do this all from underneath? I would think the truck needs to be jacked up though, but maybe not?

Old 03-07-2017, 03:35 PM
DeeDubz
More Turbo
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
replacing the shocks isn't too bad, If you going to add spacers for a leveling kit... thats a pain in the ***.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:33 PM
rspeters
Senior User
You should be able to change the shocks without taking the tires off.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:33 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Nope, I like the truck just the way it is. Do new shocks usually come with new bolts or should I get some before I get into this? Do you guys usually remove the tires as you work your way around? Do you jack the truck up at all if not removing tires?

Old 03-07-2017, 07:35 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Originally Posted by rspeters
You should be able to change the shocks without taking the tires off.
Thanks. You posted at the same I was. So since there's enough room under there without jacking it up much, can you remove the shocks without jacking it, or they compressed too much if not jacked up and hanging, so to speak?

Quick Reply: New shocks - DIY? Rancho 9000XLs (or others?)