Destination Gettysburg

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 11:15 AM
New6.2
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Destination Gettysburg

Anybody ever camped in the Gettysburg Pa area. The wife and I are planning to put the kids in the new truck and then hook to camper and take a week or so in Gettysburg this summer. Just wandered if anyone had any advice on local campgrounds or any genneral info about about the area. Good or bad. Never posted a picture before but i will try. 2 days after picking up truck last September. Camper only 8 months old at that point. Was setting hitch. Put on airbags and toolbox right after this was taken. Have airbags off 04 for sale if anyone is interested.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:21 AM
New6.2
Freshman User
These are what i replaced. Believe it or not new trailer only 8"shorter!

Old 03-06-2017, 11:25 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
To me, Drummer Boy is about the best if you can get a spot in the back of the campground.

Full hookups all over the place and water is fine. A couple of pools and slides.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:41 AM
sgeorge
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X2 on Drummer Boy. Stayed there a few years ago with the family, nice campground with things to do for the kids.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:50 PM
New6.2
Freshman User
Thanks. Will definitely check it out. What about the tours and such. Anybody recommend any good vs. bad.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:52 PM
senix
Super Moderator
I would recommend a trip to the visitors center, do all of that stuff and then get the audio cd, self guided tour.

That is one where you drive to all the stops, but you can take your time and walk some of the major points.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:36 AM
Superdave71
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
We stayed at the KOA and found it to be about the best private we have stayed at anywhere. We would stay there again.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:55 AM
JayTheCPA
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
IIRC there is an apple festival near there. Check for dates and see if it works with the travel plans.

While not mentioned, DC is not too far a drive from Gettysburg, so consider making it a day-trip and hitting some of the museums. Air and Space is the most popular. Walking from the Mall around the Tidal Basin has plenty of impressive open air displays. If anybody regularly carries a pocket knife, leave it in the vehicle as museums (at least the Federal ones) now do security screening including bag searches and metal detection (get to leave your shoes on though (unless they have a lot of metal in them)).

If you are planning on hitting Baltimore / Annapolis for a few days, PM me as I might have parking & hook-up available. Also, I am an easy launch to DC.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:04 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Old 03-07-2017, 07:18 AM
senix
Super Moderator
There is also a trip to Philadelphia that you could do. Being where the first congress was at, lots of history downtown. Parking at the visitors center is not too bad and you are right there and can walk all around that and the liberty bell as well. No knifes of course.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:38 PM
New6.2
Freshman User
Thank you to everyone for all of your input. We were initially thinking of taking about a week in the general vicinity but only actually doing 2-3 days in Gettysburg and then checking out some other area stuff but haven't decided where or what yet. Now we have some more places to think about.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:57 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I live in Gettysburg and the most popular campground I hear about is Drummer Boy.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:47 PM
New6.2
Freshman User
Originally Posted by JayTheCPA
IIRC there is an apple festival near there. Check for dates and see if it works with the travel plans.

While not mentioned, DC is not too far a drive from Gettysburg, so consider making it a day-trip and hitting some of the museums. Air and Space is the most popular. Walking from the Mall around the Tidal Basin has plenty of impressive open air displays. If anybody regularly carries a pocket knife, leave it in the vehicle as museums (at least the Federal ones) now do security screening including bag searches and metal detection (get to leave your shoes on though (unless they have a lot of metal in them)).

If you are planning on hitting Baltimore / Annapolis for a few days, PM me as I might have parking & hook-up available. Also, I am an easy launch to DC.

I appreciate the offer but we are coming from the north and only have a week and want to check out a few other stops along the way so Gettysburg is most likely the furthest south we are going to make it this time.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:12 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
We never did any of the guided tours but have done several trips with the auto audio tour whenever family comes into town. You guys are more than welcomed to use our copy when you get down this way. I have been wanting to take the Segway guided tour just for the hell of it. There office is next to a chinese take out place that I go to and it is always fun to see people getting ready there. They have a road course inside the place that you have to take the Segway through before leaving.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:58 AM
New6.2
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Twitchyleprechaun
We never did any of the guided tours but have done several trips with the auto audio tour whenever family comes into town. You guys are more than welcomed to use our copy when you get down this way. I have been wanting to take the Segway guided tour just for the hell of it. There office is next to a chinese take out place that I go to and it is always fun to see people getting ready there. They have a road course inside the place that you have to take the Segway through before leaving.
I understand that it all depends on what you want to see and do, but how long would you recommend we stay in the area? Some things are going to be off limits as our youngest is 6 so things like the Segway tours and horseback riding are out due to age limits. Definitely planning to do selfguided tour using audio cd. Only going to be able to look at so many monuments and statues before kids are going to get bored, that is why I am wandering if 2 days of sightseeing would be enough or should we plan a third day there? Also, how much do they charge you for the cd at the visitor center? And is it worth it to haul our pedal bikes down or is there no where to ride other than right in whatever campground we stay in?

Quick Reply: Destination Gettysburg