Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2004 Ford Escape front driver controller arm problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 04:19 PM
kellydaltondc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Ford Escape front driver controller arm problem.

So my daughter hit my escape into a curb damaging the lower controller arm on the driver side. I know how to replace the controller arm. However the bolt that is the closest to the front of the vehicle the hole through which it goes into the part that the controller arm connects to has been knocked bigger by the bolt cutting through the medal. So basically I don't know what the part the controller arm is bolted into is called or if it is even replaceable with out welding. I would like to contact a junk yard or an aftermarket parts dealer to find one but I wouldn't know what to call it. I am having the hardest time finding the name of the part that the lower controller arm bolts into. Any help. The hole that the bolt goes through has been opened up too much to be useful so I need to swap it. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:27 PM
simonsi
Senior User
The lower control arms fit into the subframe, if any of the bolt holes are enlarged due to accident damage then your wheel alignment may be off as the subframe may be distorted as well as the bolt hole damage.

AFAIK the subframe is only bolted to the body so should be replaceable without welding, again AFAIK. Given the subframes effect on the whole alignment of the vehicle front end and junkyard cars being possibly damaged, I'd have to say I'd recommend a new subframe if one is available.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:17 PM
kellydaltondc
New User
Thanks for the reply. So I can get a new subframe which is not the issue for me. The only question I have is how difficult is the replacement on this? I would assume that the engine would need to be supported and all that. I'm just trying to get an idea of how involved of a project this would be. I mean I have replaced controller arms and such. I just want to get an idea of all of what I am getting myself into. DC area mechanics are so pricey its ridiculous.

Thanks for any reply.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:53 PM
simonsi
Senior User
Not that hard, the engine will be supported by the right hand engine mount on the nose of the engine, I'd remove both lower control arms, support both the transmission and the front of the car under the radiator area (makes it easier to fit the new subframe by stopping the nose drooping slightly when the subframe is removed).

Undo the track rod end ball joints on the steering gear, remove the sway bar links and split/remove the exhaust system (the subframe crossmember runs over the exhaust), before unbolting the subframe and dropping it out. Mazda Tributes have a front lower engine mount so assume Escapes do too which will need to be unbolted with the trans supported.

If weight is a concern remove the steering rack before the subframe is removed (requires the subframe unbolting from the rear control arm mounts to let it drop for clearance on the steering rack mounting bolts).

Old 03-05-2017, 08:38 PM
kellydaltondc
New User
Guess Ill give it a shot. Get my parts together and try to work it out. Anytime you go anywhere here in DC to get anything suspension done they just kill you on the price the new cross member alone is expensive as hell. So we shall see how this goes once I get the new controller arm and all. Luckily I have another vehicle she can use (and hopefully not run up on a curb) we shall see. I will let you know if I run into any other problems once I get all my stuff together and make an attempt at it.

Thanks for the assistance.