1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Pinging

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 08:18 PM
rob belore
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinging

Just curious if there is anyone else with this problem. My 2002 supercrew w/4.6 auto,very low mileage around 15000 mi, has an extremely annoying ping that starts at about 30 mph and hangs around until about 40 45 mph. Also if I listen very closely at highway speeds I can hear it then as well. The truck has been to service several times, they tried changing the octane settings, changed the mass air, I have tried every grade and brand of fuel I can find, I do not tow with it and have been told that,"there is nothing wrong with your truck sir we can't hear anything" I am not a mechanic but have been around cars and engines all my life and I firmly believe that there is something wrong, a $30,000 vehicle should not make this noise...EVER!

Old 06-20-2003, 09:16 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pinging

Hi Rob and welcome to FTE

Has it done this since new or has it gotten worse?
Is it only under load?
Have you compared it to another truck that is the same?

Old 06-20-2003, 05:31 PM
rob belore
New User
Pinging

Originally posted by rob belore
Just curious if there is anyone else with this problem. My 2002 supercrew w/4.6 auto,very low mileage around 15000 mi, has an extremely annoying ping that starts at about 30 mph and hangs around until about 40 45 mph. Also if I listen very closely at highway speeds I can hear it then as well. The truck has been to service several times, they tried changing the octane settings, changed the mass air, I have tried every grade and brand of fuel I can find, I do not tow with it and have been told that,"there is nothing wrong with your truck sir we can't hear anything" I am not a mechanic but have been around cars and engines all my life and I firmly believe that there is something wrong, a $30,000 vehicle should not make this noise...EVER!

Old 06-20-2003, 05:44 PM
rob belore
New User
Pinging

Racreguy,I first noticed it about 3 months after I got it and immeadiately called the dealership where I bought it, the donkey sevice manager told me to run premium in it, even though it clearly states in the manual not to so, i did try mid grade
just to see if it made any difference. After being brushed off a couple of times I contacted the dealership in my home town and they were very helpful but were unable to fix the problem. So it was back to the original dealership and they gave a halfhearted look at it but had no real idea's. I even tried the customer help line but the people answering the phones have little or no idea what you are talking about once you get past where the gas goes in. I get very annoyed every time I drive it because I can't believe anyone would suggest that this is a normal condition. This whole deal makes me wonder if I should have bought a dodge through my employee discount at work. I have considered an aftermarket chip, but am leary of the results. If you have any suggestions or know of someone to contact please let me know!

Old 06-20-2003, 05:48 PM
rob belore
New User
Pinging

Sorry I got off on a tangent there, it only does it under very light or normal acceleration not at WOT, have not had the chance to compare with another truck.

Old 06-20-2003, 11:28 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Pinging

It may just be the normal Triton sound. They do have an odd sound to them.
Jimmy

Old 06-21-2003, 01:30 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Pinging

I think I would find another truck that's the same and compare them just to make sure it isnt a normal noise.

Old 06-21-2003, 10:36 AM
455 Jet
Senior User
Pinging

My 5.4 pings. I started with 87, then went to 89 octane. It seems the same, but mine usually happens when I'm burried in the throttle and the revs are 4000+.

Old 06-29-2003, 10:43 PM
ob1bnl
New User
Pinging

Hi All,
Have a '98 f-150 scab, 4x4, 4.6 with the pinging. A Ford dealer in Fla. told me that when the EGR valve gets dirty, the truck will ping. Mine always pings under acceleration. Never tow, so not sure on that one.
I am going to order an EGR valve, change it, and will post.

Old 06-30-2003, 12:53 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Pinging

Hi ob1bnl and welcome to FTE

Have you tried cleaning your MAF?

Old 06-30-2003, 05:24 AM
ob1bnl
New User
Lightbulb Pinging

Hi Racerguy,
I haven't tried my MAF. No-one ever suggested that as a potential problem. Any chance you can explain to me how to clean it? Or, do you know of a link that would show me how? I used to work on all of my own vehicles, but have a business now, so no time for that fun stuff.
Pretty sure I know where it is, just don't want to break it taking it apart.
Hoping you make my day by telling me how easy it is to clean

Old 07-01-2003, 01:37 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Pinging

It's easy to clean
Remove the air cleaner housing like if you were replacing the filter. Look into the big hose that goes to the throttle body on the engine. Inside there, just in from the filter end you will see a squarish box thing sticking out with 2 very fine wires that look like light bulb filaments. On some trucks there will be a plate over the wires that has 2 Torx screws holding it on. You have to remove that if it has it. The 2 wires are the MAF wires that need to be cleaned. Spray them with some spray carb cleaner such as Carb Medic until they are clean with no fuzzies on them. Put it back together and take it for a spin to see if it's better.

Old 07-03-2003, 02:03 PM
karenj
Senior User
Pinging

Hey there
Had an 01' supercrew w/ 4.6L, Also had the same problem and only had 9000 miles on it. the pinging drove me nuts. I tried everything you did but went a step further. I put in a K&N air filter and had installed a Flowmaster muffler. All this will take some of the back preasure off the engine and air will flow in and out better. Never the less i did not here the ping any more and gained a little more HP and Toruque. Hope this helps???

Old 07-07-2003, 11:44 AM
Harold Gale
New User
Pinging

I have a 2001 Supercrew with the 5.4 engine that also has the pinging problem. After numerous trips to the dealership I finally met up with the lead mechanic who had 40 plus years of Ford experience. He stated that the ping was created by the 1/2 diameter tubing that comes off the left side exaust manifold and is part of the exhaust recirculation system for emissions system.
Apparently that part of the system is not designed very well and the exhaust gases under pressure tend to swirl up the pipe creating the pinging noise.

I agree, the sound is most annoying! Apparently, Ford has not issued a TSB on the noise yet. According to the Florida dealership I use, the factory simply hasn't recieved enough complaints to start engineering a fix for the problem.

Reducing engine backpressure by installing aftermarket exhaust may be a possible solution. But I'm not sure about that.

Please reply if you have already found a solution to eliminate the noise. Thanks.

Old 07-07-2003, 05:36 PM
pcdocta
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinging

Fix Or Repair Daily! but I still love my ford! I discovered on my truck that one of the catalytic converters was leaking from the bottom. I took it to a local muffler shop and had them take it down to inspect it. We found that the first converter actually broke up inside clogging up the second converter. Well not wanting to pay over $1500.00 for factory new ones, I had them cut out all four and replaced with 2 (one on each side) universal type converters. Pinging stopped and my truck is flowing better and has a nice tone. By the way, I only use 93 octane fuel...

97 4.2L V6

Quick Reply: Pinging