Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil burning off exhaust while driving, intake manifold or just valve covers? What tools do I need?

Old 03-02-2017, 10:06 AM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil burning off exhaust while driving, intake manifold or just valve covers? What tools do I need?

Looks like what I thought was me burning my clutch is definitely just burning oil off the exhaust. Is it likely just my valve covers or should I regasket my lower intake while I'm in there? What tools do I need to pull the upper intake? I heard it's a pain in the *** with the rear bolt? Do you think I could get it all done in one day? What gaskets should I buy?

1990 302

Old 03-02-2017, 01:37 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
It's the center bolt, on the passenger side of the upper intake that can be tricky. It's a t45 or something around that size torx head. The opening to get to it is kind of small between the intake runners, so my 3/8" drive torx sockets don't fit. If you can come up with a setup that fits it's not a big deal.

My passenger side valve cover is currently leaking a little too, also putting just enough oil on the header to stink.. I'll be dealing with that once it warms up and snowmobiling doesn't consume all my free time.

Very reasonable to get it done in one day. Just watch the vacuum lines, they're pretty brittle by now. I can't recommend cork Felpro's. The OEM style steel core gaskets are much nicer, that's what I'll be using if I can find them, haven't looked into it yet though.

The lower intake is a bigger job. I wouldn't do that unless you know it is leaking for sure.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:39 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GoinBoarding
It's the center bolt, on the passenger side of the upper intake that can be tricky. It's a t45 or something around that size torx head. The opening to get to it is kind of small between the intake runners, so my 3/8" drive torx sockets don't fit. If you can come up with a setup that fits it's not a big deal.

My passenger side valve cover is currently leaking a little too, also putting just enough oil on the header to stink.. I'll be dealing with that once it warms up and snowmobiling doesn't consume all my free time.

Very reasonable to get it done in one day. Just watch the vacuum lines, they're pretty brittle by now. I can't recommend cork Felpro's. The OEM style steel core gaskets are much nicer, that's what I'll be using if I can find them, haven't looked into it yet though.

The lower intake is a bigger job. I wouldn't do that unless you know it is leaking for sure.
Thanks for the info, my Wyoming friend! How is it down there in the chilly south? It's been 40 here most days in the afternoon, all the snow has melted and winter is done.

Anu recommendations for gaskets?

Should I replace vacuum lines while I'm in there?

Could I just use an extension for the center bolt?

Old 03-02-2017, 07:51 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselCamper
Any recommendations for gaskets?
Go to Ford and get a set of original steel core rubber coated VC gaskets, they're not expensive and will not leak because the steel core will hold the bolt torque and it also prevents the sections between the bolts from deforming and squeezing out of place like all the other gasket types eventually do.

Should I replace vacuum lines while I'm in there?
Chances are they are brittle and will crumble when you start handling them so...

Could I just use an extension for the center bolt?
6" x 1/4" extension with a 1/4" socket and T40 torx bit all taped together with electrical tape will do it.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:05 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Conanski
Go to Ford and get a set of original steel core rubber coated VC gaskets, they're not expensive and will not leak because the steel core will hold the bolt torque and it also prevents the sections between the bolts from deforming and squeezing out of place like all the other gasket types eventually do.

Chances are they are brittle and will crumble when you start handling them so...

6" x 1/4" extension with a 1/4" socket and T40 torx bit all taped together with electrical tape will do it.
Just looked at the Motorcraft catalog, I'm not seeing a valve cover gasket. Do you have a part #?

Have a picture of this contraption you speak of? I'm assuming your saying get the extension, then put the torx bit at the end taped on so it doesn't fall off?

Old 03-02-2017, 09:09 PM
eenyok
New User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have a picture of this contraption you speak of? I'm assuming your saying get the extension, then put the torx bit at the end taped on so it doesn't fall off?

Just use an interchangeable head screwdriver and a t45 bit.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:53 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
Just looked at the Motorcraft catalog, I'm not seeing a valve cover gasket. Do you have a part #?
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...view/make/ford

Yes tape it so it's doesn't fall apart, space is tight so it has to be all 1/4 drive parts.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:37 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Conanski
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...view/make/ford

Yes tape it so it's doesn't fall apart, space is tight so it has to be all 1/4 drive parts.
Thank you! Just ordered the gasket set and an ARP stud kit.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:07 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
hey Ben.
first thing i would do is snug up the valve cover bolts. 99% of the time that will do the trick. i have seen them finger loose, and able to put two turns on the bolts before they make contact.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:52 AM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tjc transport
hey Ben.
first thing i would do is snug up the valve cover bolts. 99% of the time that will do the trick. i have seen them finger loose, and able to put two turns on the bolts before they make contact.
I will try that! Wouldn't that be nice haha.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:53 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 759 Likes on 541 Posts
Just a couple of things of note.

When I pulled my upper plenum gasket, it was stock (Ford oval & engineering #) & is mfg by Fel Pro (name embossed on it) When I changed my VC gaskets out for my new valve covers, they were black rubber & steel laminate. (as mentioned) Fel Pro has 3 listed w/2 laminate steel. When I replaced them, I used the blue ones & they are reusable. Had them off 3 times. No leaks.

For peace of mind, cover the open lower manifold ports with tape or stuff with paper towels.

Here are a couple of ways to get to the center bolt. 1 as Paul described.

The top 3/8ths has been ground down.

This is what you're working with:

Old 03-03-2017, 10:40 AM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Is there a valve cover bolt at the back of the passenger side valve cover? If so, I think TJCs tip may have just fixed my leak. I have now found the source of the leak, and if there's a bolt back there I can tighten, it may seriously slow down the leak. I believe it was leaking way more before I went through and tightened them.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:51 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
3 across the bottom, one middle of the top, and one each side on side of the top.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:54 AM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tjc transport
3 across the bottom, one middle of the top, and one each side on side of the top.
Yup, it looks like the leak is coming from around the bolt thats closest to the tailgate. Is it hard to see with the motor in? Could that being loose be what's causing my leak?

Old 03-03-2017, 02:16 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
sure can. 1/4 turn of the bolt is enough to make a mess.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil burning off exhaust while driving, intake manifold or just valve covers? What tools do I need?