General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Winter Wonderland Road Trip Of 2017

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 09:58 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Oh yes! You guys will like this one! This was my first "super hike" I guess I like to call it.

Welcome, Theodore Roosevelt National Park

I'm the only one at the campground......as was often the case lol.There was only once where there was another camper (also a tent!) in a park with me,in the northern states.

Snowshoe time again.This time up a steep trail.....Hiking where bison roam? This can't be safe can it? lol

Wait until I get to the top.You'll like this view.

Here we go guys.I couldn't make out the trail for the life of me,so I just went ahead and did my own loop.It was simple enough to explore knowing where the car was.Here I summit.Iv marked the car in red to help you get the scale.

Look at this little guy I spot on my way back down.

This trail did in my snowshoes.They couldn't handle it.They were so worn I debated getting a new pair before heading out.Now I've broke them right in half so I go grab another pair for the rest of the trip.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:07 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Next stop,a little tourist attraction.....of sorts.The cemetery where the legendary duo "Wild Bill" and "Calamity Jane" are buried.

Mount Moriah Cemetery.Deadwood,South Dakota.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:16 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Welcome, Badlands National Park.

I really liked this one.I stayed a couple days.I drove all the roads,visited the center and hiked most the trails.All but 1 I believe.Great place.Miles down a dirt road,in with free roaming bison,there is a free primitive campground.I made use of it both nights.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:18 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Badlands continued

Old 03-02-2017, 10:19 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Welcome, Mount Rushmore National Memorial

When I asked the park ranger why I couldn't find anything for Native American history and the treaty about the black hills....He laughed at me.Even though he was smug,I kindly let him know that I felt there should be just a little something about it here in the museum.He was then at least a little more kind and stated there was only so much room.

Therefore,I suggest rather than supporting this memorial by paying the $10 "parking fee" that you instead simply drive by and get your pics from the road.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:22 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Welcome, Crazy Horse Memorial

When completed,Crazy Horse Memorial will be the largest stone carving in the world.It is not federally funded.Please stop by and visit.Your entry fee helps support the memorial.The visitor center,movie,and museum were fantastic.I could show loads of displays but I have so much more on the road trip,I can't get carried away at each stop lol.Go here.You'll love it!

Old 03-02-2017, 10:32 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Ah.Here's another fun one.Welcome, Wind Cave National Park.....

The small hole is the natural entrance.Sure enough it blows very strong winds too!
Would you like to see inside the cave? ..................

This cave is famous for it's "box work" as shown here:

Speleothems - Boxwork - Wind Cave National Park

Old 03-02-2017, 10:34 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
After the cave tour,I decide to take a hike.It's overcast but nice.Free range bison out here,so I always kept my eyes on the nearest trees to climb lol.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:38 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Next stop, Devils Tower National Monument.

I get there and can't see a thing! Oh well,thats how things go sometimes on a big road trip.Things don't always go as planned.At least I got a pic of the top,from a couple miles away.

So onto my next stop...uh oh! My car is overheating and it sounds horrible!
I get a tow into the nearest town.I had almost made my way into Buffalo Wyoming.I figured the t-stat just stuck shut,so I have it towed to a parts store.I go to drive over to a campground and change it out when it sounds bad and has no power.So I limp it over to a garage instead.
The local sheriff sees me go by and follows me in lol.He said he didn't want to stop me,because he figured I was trying to make it to the garage lol.

So anyway,the 20 yr old beater civic is done.Up on the lift,we can clearly hear the rod bearings are shot.She's spent!
Stuck in Buffalo for a few days while I search for a car.I was looking for another 4 cyl coupe.At least 30 mpg.I see the accords come with 5 speed auto's and dual overhead cams! There we go.Economy and decent power from a mid size.Works for me.I really only need a civic and would of preferred another for closer to 35+ mpg but I'm kinda in a tight spot and need the extra room right now.

Upgraded to an accord coupe.This ones got blk leather interior.
A bit more room to hold my camping gear.I had to remove the passenger seat in the civic in order to fit it lol.A "decent" little car this time rather than another beater.I didn't want to run into much more trouble.Kinda risky running a beater across country.The little civic treated me good.Got my $1,800 from it and then some lol.

So after a few days and a bus ride down to Denver,Co to get another car,I'm ready to go again.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:42 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
OK so the road trip continues guys.Now with some new (to me.it's over 10 yrs old lol) wheels,I'm ready to get back to my adventure.

Next stop; Legend Rock Petroglyph Site in Thermopolis, WY!

A walk back into time! This was cool!

Look at the cool thunderbird! ^ notice the alien looking dude up above it,in the last pic.Makes ya wonder a little bit doesn't it? I've got others you'll see latter on at other locations where some look like the space men.It's interesting and thought provoking.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:45 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Road trip scenery intermission..........

Yeah.I know.Our mother earth here in America.She sure is a site to see.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:47 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Next up,Welcome, Grand Teton National Park.

So like I was saying,a lot of these parks are nearly all but closed down,with just a tiny section of road(s) plowed open.This park was one of those.The parks system (and everything else along the way lol) doesn't cater to us few winter vacationers.There just isn't enough of us. but, hey, it's better than nothing.

Here I was able to get a nice hike in.

Yeah,my thought's are your thoughts.......what a hike that was!

Old 03-02-2017, 10:50 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
unwelcome; Yellowstone National Park.

Yellowstone National Park: boycotted.

Why did I chose to boycott and bypass Yellowstone?

Imagine this if you will: You drive into Yellowstone in the summer and you pay the entry free or hand over your yearly pass to get in, and instead of this being good enough,the park rangers say; I'm sorry but the park is too busy for passenger cars today,you cannot enter.Instead you'll have to take a shuttle bus.Ok you think,but the ranger says; we don't offer shuttle buses but there are 3rd party buses you can take for $120 a head.On top of your park entry fee.Whats more is,for $120 on top of your entry fee,the bus will only take you to one small section of the park.

What would you do? You would likely drive off and say not interested.

Well they don't do this in the summer months of course but this is exactly what Yellowstone National Park does to us winter vacationers.They deliberately don't plow the road and they offer no way to get around like a free shuttle bus as (or in this case,snow coach if they don't want to plow the roads) offered at many of the parks.Instead,they prohibit you from entering the park on your own even if you payed for a yearly pass to all the parks.They force you to buy a 3rd party snow coach/snowmobile tour which then price gouge because they know it's the only way into the park (just how much do these 3rd party co.s pay the park per year,it makes ya wonder doesn't it?)

Now,you may be thinking,I'm a single guy.I could afford that and you'd be right.However on behalf of all those who cannot afford to be price gouged and just for pure morals I simply could not in good conscience support this corruption.

Therefor I boycotted and skipped Yellowstone National Park.
They should be ashamed of themselves.I will have to wait a couple decades until retirement,before I can go,in the summer months.

I hope you and your friends will consider joining me in boycotting Yellowstone National Park in the winter months until they do away with their corrupt system.
I encourage you to go in the summer when the entry free/pass is good enough or don't go at all.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:53 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Next stop; First Peoples Buffalo Jump Ulm, MT!

I had planned a half dozen other stops before this one but with getting a new car and being held up while I found and went got another one,time just was not on my side.I was seeing so many things and had so many still to see that I didn't feel bad at cutting a few things out.This park was closed by the time I drove by but I was able to drive around and get some great pics of the area just the same.

Imagine if you will for a moment while looking at these pics.There are no restaurants.It's just you and your family living free on the land.You get on your horses and drive bison off the cliff for your food.

Living free.Free in mind and spirit.Living with,instead of against the land..........

Old 03-02-2017, 10:57 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Welcome; Glacier National Park.

This one had very little road plowed so I could only see but just a tiny section of it.However it was still nice.I look forward to seeing the whole thing in retirement when I can visit in the summer.

Just me around here,this time of year lol.

Just a pic I grabbed along the road after leaving the park.Pretty cool.

Quick Reply: Winter Wonderland Road Trip Of 2017