Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Cab drone

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:20 AM
Kfilla
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab drone

I picked up an 06 ext. cab f250 V10 in January. I noticed that the stock exhaust seems to give a lot of cab drone with little to no exterior noise. Is this normal? Are there any ways to reduce cab drone without breaking the bank?

Old 03-01-2017, 06:26 PM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I had an 06 xtracab V10 and had no cab noise! I would look at the exhaust and see if its been changed at all. The hangers should be rubber insulated. If one isn't it will vibrate and transmit that to the cab. I did a custom exhaust when I was young and I mounted solid hangers. The truck vibrated horribly in the cab.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:16 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm kind of thinking you're hearing something other than exhaust noise in the cab, my 06 with stock exhaust had zero exhaust noise in the cab.... on second thought at around 100k the exhaust manifolds started leaking, 14 of the 20 manifold stud nuts were loose. After retightening the exhaust leak is still gone at 120k, but I could definitely hear it outside.

Is the sound engine speed related or vehicle speed related?

Old 03-02-2017, 07:43 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
First, WELCOME to FTE!

We greet new members here with a smile, not a lot of sarcasm.

I agree with the others, there's something not right - it's not normal to have any cab noise like what you describe.

Is it possible it's a heat shield vibrating? Gotta get under it and look around...

Old 03-02-2017, 10:31 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Sarcasm wasn't intended if it was read that way.

If you could describe the sound and the conditions you hear it in more detail I would imagine somebody here could give you a good idea where to start looking for a fix!

Old 03-02-2017, 10:45 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by twigsV10
Sarcasm wasn't intended if it was read that way.
That wasn't for you, there was another post I removed. Moving on...

Old 03-02-2017, 06:33 PM
Kfilla
New User
I'm kind of thinking you're hearing something other than exhaust noise in the cab, my 06 with stock exhaust had zero exhaust noise in the cab.... on second thought at around 100k the exhaust manifolds started leaking, 14 of the 20 manifold stud nuts were loose. After retightening the exhaust leak is still gone at 120k, but I could definitely hear it outside.

Is the sound engine speed related or vehicle speed related?
Definitely engine speed related and coming from the rear of the vehicle. This weekend I'll have a chance to crawl under and look at it closer, making sure to check for loose heat shields or missing hangers.

twigsV10 - not much to describe.... sounds like exhaust, gets louder the higher the rpms are but only when under load. When it shifts and the rpms drop it gets quieter and then builds as rpms increase.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:47 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Krewat
That wasn't for you, there was another post I removed. Moving on...
You removed my post.
I cant remember sarcasm though. Some jokes about the previous owner is all.

And what about the point I made? About aftermarket muffler.

Why so touchy Krewat?

Old 03-02-2017, 10:26 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Kfilla
Definitely engine speed related and coming from the rear of the vehicle. This weekend I'll have a chance to crawl under and look at it closer, making sure to check for loose heat shields or missing hangers.

twigsV10 - not much to describe.... sounds like exhaust, gets louder the higher the rpms are but only when under load. When it shifts and the rpms drop it gets quieter and then builds as rpms increase.
If I had to guess I would suspect the previous owner changed the exhaust with a cat back system or aftermarket muffler. (Assuming rust isn't a factor). The factory exhaust was dead silent and why my muffler is no longer stock.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:04 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
If I had to guess I would suspect the previous owner changed the exhaust with a cat back system or aftermarket muffler. (Assuming rust isn't a factor). The factory exhaust was dead silent and why my muffler is no longer stock.
<br /><br />

that's what I said in my deleted post! :-)

I made some jokes about a previous owner… And Krewat thought I was being sarcastic with the OP

Old 03-05-2017, 06:31 AM
Kfilla
New User
Took a look underneath the truck yesterday and found the two heat shields on the muffler itself were missing one of the bands that holds them on, also two of the rubber insulators were incorrectly installed. Fixed those and got a test drive in and while it is a little quieter I would like to tone it down some more. Any ideas?

Old 03-05-2017, 07:10 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Kfilla
Took a look underneath the truck yesterday and found the two heat shields on the muffler itself were missing one of the bands that holds them on, also two of the rubber insulators were incorrectly installed. Fixed those and got a test drive in and while it is a little quieter I would like to tone it down some more. Any ideas?
does it have a resonator? If it came with one from the factory and doesn't have one now - that'll probably do it.

I strongly believe your exhaust system has been modified from stock, by the previous owner. Let us know what you find.

And if I offended you with my (deleted post) comments about the previous owner; I'm sincerely sorry.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:14 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
And!!

Ever since I straight-pipe-deleted my catalytic converters, I've been a little annoyed with the extra noise in my van. I've had the idea to add header wrap or something similar. Also I thought about making some homemade heat shields (similar) and welding them on the pipes as an extra barrier between the path from the straight pipes to my ears.

Seems like a good idea.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:43 PM
Kfilla
New User
Originally Posted by Im50fast
does it have a resonator? If it came with one from the factory and doesn't have one now - that'll probably do it.

I strongly believe your exhaust system has been modified from stock, by the previous owner. Let us know what you find.

And if I offended you with my (deleted post) comments about the previous owner; I'm sincerely sorry.
I know it has both cats and a muffler. Where was the resonator located and what should it look like? The tubing before the muffler has an extra "shell" (???) on it.

Very possible that it has been modified but I don't see anything that would suggest it. Possibly a cat back system that either reused or came with clamp on heat shields for the muffler.

Your post was actually deleted before I saw it. Even if it hadn't been I wouldn't have cared; I don't know who the previous owners were.

Also found another section of loose heat shield before the y. Went for a short drive but had the rear windows open for my dog so I could discern drone from regular exterior noise. On a side note it may have more exterior sound than I thought. Current muffler is starting to rust through (possible cause) so I'll be in the market for a replacement eventually anyway.

Update: The last heat shield that I tightend up seems to have done the trick. Acceptable noise level, hell it even sounds dare I say nice. Just waiting on the 5star tuner to show up today or tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone.