1965 Econoline alternator upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 01:22 AM
Mysterysteak
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1965 Econoline alternator upgrade

Hello! I'm a new unit
I looked for a while but didn't see anything on converting a external regulated alternator on a 1965 econoline 170 motor to a new 100 amp single wire alternator.
was wondering if anyone has a schematic or info on wiring such a swap
thanks!
just got the van back from the painters they had it for almost two years -I wish they had spent all that time actually working on it-but- it's better than it was Trying to get dash and wiring back together

Old 03-01-2017, 07:11 AM
Wolfster
Freshman User
That's a sharp looking van!

As far as converting your alternator, any instructions on a single wire conversion will apply to your van. They all work on the same principle.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:00 PM
economan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes
pretty simple, fairly heavy gauge wire directly from + terminal on alt directly to + term on battery, unless you wanna run it thru an ammeter then simply run it up to and thru the ammeter on your dash (make sure the ammeter is heavy enough rated for your alt.) and back to the + on the battery.
IMPORTANT!! make sure that the battery is fully charged upon first startup.
this polarizes the alternator and gets the whole charging system up and going.

Allso....
looks good, nice and fresh nuthin' better n' a nice fresh coat of paint especially when you start putting all the fresh new detail and trim items on. One tip tho....i find on econos, make sure and black out in behind the headlight grilles and rad grille, particularily with the white, it'll really make the front end visually pop.

Mikie
near ottawa canada
64 econo p/u & 58 Merc 100 panel

Old 03-03-2017, 10:36 PM
Mysterysteak
New User
thanks for the replys

Hi thanks for the replys i appreciate the info

yeah i just got some LED headlights from Vintage Car LED
and was putting the headlight buckets in and thinking about blacking out behind vent screens

I also found a instrument cluster i think for a 1967 econoline it has a ammeter and an oil pressure gauge

not sure if the old style ammeter can handle the output of new alternator
i was thinking about getting the powermaster 100 amp single wire alternator

also found a NOS speedometer and fuel gauge
just nerding out on the dash
gauge cluster with ammeter and oil pressure gauges

dash coming back together

Old 03-04-2017, 08:18 AM
economan
Senior User
The old ammeter won't take what the new alt. will put out, (unless you like acrid smoke filling your cab) I believe they are only good to about 40A this gauge cluster was used right up to the 80s in different trucks and i don't think even those late ones are high enough amperage.
If you have a sacrificial gauge cluster it is possible to trim the housing at the back and fit in a newer ammeter, if you are crafty enough you can even slip the original face into the new gauge and use the full gauge type inner printed bezel so you have the "D-C" lettering in place,
i did this but didn't take the time to change the face of the gauge.
Alllssso... the inner printed bezel for a full gauge set up has slightly larger holes in the lower position compared to the ones with lights in the lower positions, I kept my oil light, and the red opaque "OIL" insert is big enough to cover this hole and looks like it belongs there.
I'd post some pics but the truck is current in winter storage and packed in so tigthly that i can't even get near the door to get into the cab

Mikie
near ottawa canada
64 econo p/u & 58 merc 100 panel

Old 03-04-2017, 08:30 AM
economan
Senior User
OH ya.....
almost forgot....
Getting the bracketry correct for to insatall a "Delco style one wire unit is a bit of fiddly work in order to get the belt alignment and adjuster slider to work well.
The alternator is a bit fatter round too, so it's a bit tricky to keep it from hitting the side of the motor box/floor area, mine does, and sometimes yo get a bit of a vibration from it at idle.

Mikie
near ottawa canada
64 econo p/u & 58 merc 100 panel `

Old 03-22-2017, 11:09 AM
Wolfe Tarjan
New User
Originally Posted by economan
Yes
pretty simple, fairly heavy gauge wire directly from + terminal on alt directly to + term on battery, unless you wanna run it thru an ammeter then simply run it up to and thru the ammeter on your dash (make sure the ammeter is heavy enough rated for your alt.) and back to the + on the battery.
IMPORTANT!! make sure that the battery is fully charged upon first startup.
this polarizes the alternator and gets the whole charging system up and going.

Allso....
looks good, nice and fresh nuthin' better n' a nice fresh coat of paint especially when you start putting all the fresh new detail and trim items on. One tip tho....i find on econos, make sure and black out in behind the headlight grilles and rad grille, particularily with the white, it'll really make the front end visually pop.

Mikie
near ottawa canada
64 econo p/u & 58 Merc 100 panel
Know anything about this? Alternator light is on

Old 03-22-2017, 05:56 PM
economan
Senior User
Well
looks to me like a late but pre 66 gauge cluster in a f-series as the earlies had GEN markings on the indicator lights.
If you installed a one wire in this truck you most likely left the old alt wiring in place???
which would make for the old regulator turning on the light. clean all of that old wiring outta there or at least cap it off by putting shrink tubing over toppa the the old terminals and wrapping it up and fasten it somewhere somewhere safe and sound out of the way.
At the time i installed my one wire alt i couldn't find any info on hooking it up using a light so went the ammeter route.
Now if my memory serves me right in behind the cluster you show 61-65ish are standard size ford round gauges in the cluster and these openings will accommodate aftermarket round gauges with very little modifications. you would most likely have to use a hole saw in the chassis of the gauge cluster you have in order to fit a gauge in or go out on the hunt and find one in a larger f series truck which were more common to have full gauge instrumentation with the gauge holes already in em'
'remember' the original for gauges don't have enough load capacity for the new alternators.

Mikie
near ottawa canada
64 econoline p/u & 58 Merc 100 panel,