Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone had any experiences with buying reman steering gears through eBay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 03:20 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone had any experiences with buying reman steering gears through eBay?

These are the cheapest I can find with no ridiculous core fee. They say its made by ATSCO...Anyone have any experience with them?

Old 02-28-2017, 08:10 PM
5speedahead
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would not go to Advance Auto and buy one for $100? Sure, it has an $80 core, but bring the old one back and you get your $80 back. Plus, it comes with a lifetime warranty so if anything ever happens they replace it free of charge. Good luck getting that type of warranty with an Ebay seller. And even if you do you have the hassle of hoping they respond to the email you send them, then mailing it back, etc. Advance Auto, you drop the bad one on their table and they hand you a new one. Not saying it will ever fail, but the insurance is there if it does.

You could potentially create a major hassle for yourself in order to save peanuts. If saving anything really, because I find it hard to believe Ebay remans are much under $100.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:11 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Or buy a REDHEAD one and never worry about it again

Old 02-28-2017, 08:14 PM
5speedahead
Junior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Or buy a REDHEAD one and never worry about it again
Agreed, but I also find it hard to swallow spending around $300 on a steering gear when Advance Auto is selling a lifetime warranty one (A Reman Ford unit) for $100. Especially on a truck with a value of a couple grand.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:22 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 5speedahead
Agreed, but I also find it hard to swallow spending around $300 on a steering gear when Advance Auto is selling a lifetime warranty one (A Reman Ford unit) for $100. Especially on a truck with a value of a couple grand.
I have better things to do than swap out 4 steering boxes to get good one

Old 02-28-2017, 08:27 PM
5speedahead
Junior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I have better things to do than swap out 4 steering boxes to get good one
Fair enough. But plenty of people, myself included are running a steering gear from them with no problems at all. That's why they're at two different ends of the spectrum in prices, for two different types of consumers. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:52 PM
94MustangGT
Elder User
Redhead user here. Being able to safely steer is worth the money.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:06 PM
5speedahead
Junior User
OP, if you can't tell, you're going to get a bunch of people suggesting the redhead. And for great reason, it's a great gear. However, you'll be able to "safely" steer with one from advance auto, and safely steer with one from eBay. Seeing how both options are better than the sloppy one in there now. Also, considering your other thread about how you're in college and money is tight, and how you're worried about the price of the core, I highly doubt a $300 gear is even being considered, and a $300 gear that has a $100 core instead of an $80.

Personally, I'd get the one from advance auto since it's in the price range you're looking for. On eBay it's hit or miss. It could be a great gear for less money. However, you also could end up with a crappy gear and a seller not willing to deal with a replacement.

Id play it safe and buy it from a local auto parts store, or get a redhead.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:53 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 5speedahead
OP, if you can't tell, you're going to get a bunch of people suggesting the redhead. And for great reason, it's a great gear. However, you'll be able to "safely" steer with one from advance auto, and safely steer with one from eBay. Seeing how both options are better than the sloppy one in there now. Also, considering your other thread about how you're in college and money is tight, and how you're worried about the price of the core, I highly doubt a $300 gear is even being considered, and a $300 gear that has a $100 core instead of an $80.

Personally, I'd get the one from advance auto since it's in the price range you're looking for. On eBay it's hit or miss. It could be a great gear for less money. However, you also could end up with a crappy gear and a seller not willing to deal with a replacement.

Id play it safe and buy it from a local auto parts store, or get a redhead.
Thank you for the common sense. I can't swallow a redhead gearbox. It's not like I'm offroading or going real fast, it just has to be better than my current steering box is. I got one for $129 on eBay. It's an ATSCO (which I read works fine) box.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:01 AM
HeavyE85
Senior User
Since you made your purchase already, I'll just throw my .02 in for those that may see this later on. I just got done replacing my steering box. For me, quality was my number one consideration. After reading a few negative posts about redhead gears, I opted to go with a Motorcraft reman for the reason that they are the only remanufacturer to use a new sector shaft. All other remanufacturers either magnaflux or X-ray the sector shafts. Minus the core, the price of the Motorcraft wasn't that much more than the other offerings on rock auto.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:49 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
FWIW......I installed a rebuild from O'reileys in my '78 ...........It was actually SLOPPIER than the one I took out.........It will be getting a Redhead soon.......I wouldn't waste my time or money on anything else.......I have a Redhead in my '97 F-Superduty Quigley and it is the best money I have spent on it so far...........drives better than they did new..........

Old 03-01-2017, 09:55 AM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by 78 PEB
FWIW......I installed a rebuild from O'reileys in my '78 ...........It was actually SLOPPIER than the one I took out.........It will be getting a Redhead soon.......I wouldn't waste my time or money on anything else.......I have a Redhead in my '97 F-Superduty Quigley and it is the best money I have spent on it so far...........drives better than they did new..........
I read several posts/reviews like this before deciding I was going with a Redhead. I understand they're not cheap but was able to go that route and have been very happy with it. "Rebuilt" boxes from some places have been said to be new seals and fresh paint. There was a group buy on here when I upgraded a couple years ago, cost ended up being something like $260 if I remember correctly (after core). That's why in the OP's other thread I suggested adjusting what he's got first.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:05 AM
78 PEB
Cargo Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I am quite sure that new seals and paint is exactly what the O'reilly one I put in was.......wasn't even good paint........Blew it all off the first time I took a pressure washer to the engine bay........LOL

Old 03-01-2017, 11:27 AM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GoinBoarding
I read several posts/reviews like this before deciding I was going with a Redhead. I understand they're not cheap but was able to go that route and have been very happy with it. "Rebuilt" boxes from some places have been said to be new seals and fresh paint. There was a group buy on here when I upgraded a couple years ago, cost ended up being something like $260 if I remember correctly (after core). That's why in the OP's other thread I suggested adjusting what he's got first.
Sadly, I'd be a long ways out from being able to afford a redhead.