6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Is it possible to get a dependablle 6.4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 06:11 AM
blackeyed1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been thinking of selling my 6.4 as I'm not towing big any longer. Been trying to find a used 6.2 and yeah, they are hard to find. The ones that are out there, they want an arm and leg for them. I'll find one tho'!

Old 03-02-2017, 07:09 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by daBIGKAHUNA
The 6.2's seem to be rare finds - anybody have a good resource to find a good pre-owned 6.2?
You may have to expand you search past the are or state where you live. There are a lot of dealers that will have them Ford and small lot dealers. You can also look on Craigslist. You can also look at auctions in your area or somewhere close to your state.

There are a lot of Fleet and ex goverment trucks out there that are sold at auction as well. You just have to make sure no matter where you buy to look at more than just the outside of the truck, crawl all over that engines, throw some coveralls on and crawl under the truck with a good strong flashlight and look under the trucks where it meets the transmission and up and under the engine and look for leaks.

If you find a truck that someone is selling privately, ask if they ave service records, ask them where the truck was serviced at. If it sounds ok from that point get the VIN and make sure you check to see if the truck has any liens against it. and pull a carfax or an autocheck on that VIN, lots of guys who buy at auctions and just turn around and flip a truck and give you the story of oh grandma used this just to go get groceries once a week story.

If your not mechanically inclined, take a relative or friend with you who is or ask the seller if you can take the truck to have an inspection either at a dealer or a shop you trust, may cost you a couple buck but may save you $$$ too.

Lots of trucks out there, you ought to be able to find something, if your buying from a dealer, the price on the windshield is there price, haggle and beat them down as much as you can, the sales guy will tell you he will be out of a job and how mad the boss will be if he sees the price come down etc... all part of the game to make you think he is doing so much for you, but they have wiggle room to deal believe me.

You'll have to let us know how you make out

Old 03-02-2017, 11:26 AM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sure like my 6.4L, 125k so far.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:36 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by brandonrr
My thoughts exactly.

I know a few people that ended up letting their 6.4 get repo'd because of a huge repair bill. Keep in mind, even with an aftermarket warranty, DPF/EGR deletes will usually void it, even if you bought the truck already deleted.
I can't imagine what that does to one's credit rating getting the vehicle repo'd. If you require a loan to get yourself into a 10 year old vehicle, you are likely living above your means. Not to mention how outrageous the interest rate has to be, to obtain a loan on that old of a vehicle. There's no way any bank would ever touch that, which leaves only finance companies charging ridiculously hefty 36 or something percent interest rates.

And to your point about the aftermarket warranty. To me, as a dealership tech, I would consider to be worth no better than toilet paper. Years ago, I had a 1997 Ford F-150 V6 that came in on the hook for me to diagnose, and submit a quote for repair. Long story short, the engine was completely dynamited. The truck got towed off our lot. I later learned it was only purchased one month prior by some young guy who financed the purchase along with an aftermarket warranty. The truck was 12 years old at the time. I also later learned the so called warranty would only authorize "select" shops to do repairs on said vehicle. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing the only "shops" allowed to work on said vehicle would likely be small time places employing minimum wage (or less) paid hired help, performing Band-Aid type repairs. This poor young guy obviously needed to learn some hard lessons.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:41 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
This is a FORD TRUCK forum. Most of us, including myself, are biased toward Ford and we are still trying to steer you away from a specific ford truck. That should say something right there.
.....not to mention that particular engine was only in production for the Super Duty line up, for three model years, during which time Ford was "scrambling" with engineering resources to get their 6.7 into production. That too, should tell you something.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:49 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by m-chan68
I can't imagine what that does to one's credit rating getting the vehicle repo'd. If you require a loan to get yourself into a 10 year old vehicle, you are likely living above your means. Not to mention how outrageous the interest rate has to be, to obtain a loan on that old of a vehicle. There's no way any bank would ever touch that, which leaves only finance companies charging ridiculously hefty 36 or something percent interest rates.

And to your point about the aftermarket warranty. To me, as a dealership tech, I would consider to be worth no better than toilet paper. Years ago, I had a 1997 Ford F-150 V6 that came in on the hook for me to diagnose, and submit a quote for repair. Long story short, the engine was completely dynamited. The truck got towed off our lot. I later learned it was only purchased one month prior by some young guy who financed the purchase along with an aftermarket warranty. The truck was 12 years old at the time. I also later learned the so called warranty would only authorize "select" shops to do repairs on said vehicle. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing the only "shops" allowed to work on said vehicle would likely be small time places employing minimum wage (or less) paid hired help, performing Band-Aid type repairs. This poor young guy obviously needed to learn some hard lessons.

I will say I agree with m-chan68 on the extended warranty. Most of the extended warranty's that are sold you could wipe you *** with because they are worth next to nothing and they are only sold to pad the salesman and dealers wallet and do zip for the customer. If it was a Ford extended warranty, that is worth your money, but the other warranty's are just garbage, your better off taking the money you'd use on that extended warranty and sticking it away and adding money to it and build it up in case you need some major repairs, if you dont use it , if you need it you will have it.

There are tons and tons and tons of complaints about the aftermarket extended warranty's and how people and even the shops they take their vehicle to get repaired to have to fight to get anything fixed, and even then they want to use second hand or aftermarket parts. These warranty company's will even tell you they will only cover a percentage and you cover the rest or they will deny you coverage period.

The sales man will tell you ever line under the sun about how fantastic the warranty company is and no one has ever not go their truck fixed, and bla bla bla... but remember he has a vested interest in selling you that because he gets a cut of it..dont think for one second they are doing you a favor because they arent.

Google the complaints about after market extended warranty companies and look at how many times they have change their products name, it isnt because they are great it's because after awhile they just cant suck many people in after all the complaints flood the internet so they switch the warranty name to the next one, and then the next one after that.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:06 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
If i were you, i would go for a duramax or cummins for those years. The 08-10 duramax is the most reliable of the bunch for the early DPF trucks.

The 6.4 is not something you want to own if it is already a bit of a stretch to get one. A lot of people are selling 6.4s right now that have expensive problems that can easily go unnoticed, such as cracked pistons. These those 6.4s can act healthy on death's door
yes, what he said....

Old 03-04-2017, 10:35 PM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
While we're talking about HD gassers, the GM vortec 6.0L is a little outdated, but very solid. My uncle bought a 2000 chevy brand new with the 6.0 vortec. 304k miles later, he has had the heads rebuilt once and gone through 2 transmissions, but the tired engine still runs ok, but is slowly dying. He still has the truck, but knowing his old chevy is on death's door, he already bought a 2015 chevy that is the newer equivalent with the 6.0.
I would avoid the hemis. They run great until about 150k and tend to fail one way or the other. Dodge has also failed to produce a reliable in-house automatic transmission for ANY of their trucks, even to this day.
As previously stated, the ford 6.2 is a great engine if you can get your hands on a reasonably priced used one.
If fuel economy isn't too much of a concern, the 6.8L triton v10 is a beast and also reliable. I have seen a few for sale locally around 100k miles in the 22k or less price range.

The chevy 6 speed gasser transmissions are decent, but both the ford 5r110 (2008-2010) and the 6r140 (2011-current) are near bulletproof from the factory in the diesels on stock power. With the gas engines, those transmissions ARE bulletproof, as long as you don't do burnouts daily and actually change the fluid and filter from time to time. The ford torqshift transmissions are even better than the "all-mighty" allison transmissions found in the duramax.

Thinking a little more about the 2008-2010 duramax vs cummins, i think the cummins might be a bit better. They can be had a bit cheaper than the duramax and engine repairs are significantly cheaper than the duramax. Also, the 6.7 cummins is very reliable once deleted, except for head gaskets. Once you delete and throw in some head studs, the 6.7 is good, but you are still limited to only light tuning if you don't want to grenade the transmission.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:49 AM
xpl0sive
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys, I haven't posted here in a while... sold my 2008 f350 back in 2012, had Duramaxes ever since. Just sold my latest duramax this weekend, thinking about getting back into a F350. I found a 2009 Harley with only 31k miles on it. I haven't spoken to the owner yet, hoping to get some more history on it tomorrow. I'm just worried that a truck with that few miles would have cracked/dried up seals, etc. My last truck was a 2008 and it had about 70k miles when I sold it. It was still under warranty and I had to take it in for a cab-off engine service for some oil seals to get replaced. What do you guys think about me buying the 2009 now? Are the low miles a bonus or not? I don't think this truck has had any modifications to the engine (no dpf removal, no tuner), so it may be a good or a bad thing? I would definitely do a DPF delete if I got it.

Another question I have, is it seems that there aren't many DPF delete kits out there anymore? Back in 2012, I bought a diamond eye kit that bolted up to my stock exhaust. It doesn't seem like they make that kit anymore? The only one I found was meant for an aftermarket exhaust. Who makes DPF delete kits for stock exhaust now? Also, I see above the H&S is out of business? That's too bad, I liked their Mini-maxx tuner. I would still probably just get one on craigslist... unless there's another reputable brand out there that people seem to use?

Lastly, it seems that there are a lot of horror stories about the 6.4... I'm thinking maybe I should spend a bit more and get a 2011 6.7? I really wanted to get another Harley edition truck and the jump in price to the 2011+ is about $10k in my area.

Please let me know your thoughts...

Old 04-11-2017, 01:37 PM
Recce43a
New User
I just traded in my 09 6.4 300000 kims on it dpf cat egr delete 6 speed manual transmission. only thing I ever had to replace was the alternator .

Old 04-21-2017, 09:30 PM
Giancarlo Mack
New User
I just bought a 6.4

Originally Posted by jimh425
It's also the internet and it's hard to figure out why people say what they say sometimes. For sure, the 6.4 is awful if you listen to some people.

But, I can tell you that if you go back 3 years ... the tone was different in this 6.4 forum. If it hadn't been, I wouldn't own one now!
I agree! After owning a 2006 F-350 gas 6.2 H-D painted single rear long bed for 8 years i finally got my dream truck King Ranch. My 2009 F-250 Lariat King Ranch may have just as many potential problems as the 6.0's and 6.7's but if you want to get an affordable diesel truck financed you need a solid extended warranty and low miles. I got mine with 75,000 verified with car fax. No switched engines and verified consistent VIN is a great way to look for a good truck. Once you check for bkowback when you remove the oil cap and check for a bent radiator caused by frame twists for guys who rock climb you should be good. No deletes or your extended warranty is void. The power is awesome if you looking for torque and speed. The new fords are worse off with aluminum beds and DEF fluid requirements. You can find 2009 or 2010 with all the basic amenities the newer trucks have from playng music from your smartphone to a back up camera. You can't get any other truck maker in this price of 25k to 30k with a quiter motor and interior than ford lariat king ranch or crew cab in general. GMC may be the best truck on the market with the 2017 Denali but unless you can afford a 60k+ truck its never going to be financed without almost half down at the signing agreement. Good luck with your 6.4 if you go that way. I did and love it!!!

Old 04-21-2017, 09:53 PM
Giancarlo Mack
New User
Additional info.

Originally Posted by Giancarlo Mack
I agree! After owning a 2006 F-350 gas 5.4 H-D painted single rear long bed for 8 years i finally got my dream truck King Ranch. My 2009 F-250 Lariat King Ranch may have just as many potential problems as the 6.0's and 6.7's but if you want to get an affordable diesel truck financed you need a solid extended warranty and low miles. I got mine with 75,000 verified with car fax. No switched engines and verified consistent VIN is a great way to look for a good truck. Once you check for bkowback when you remove the oil cap and check for a bent radiator caused by frame twists for guys who rock climb you should be good. No deletes or your extended warranty is void. The power is awesome if you looking for torque and speed. The new fords are worse off with aluminum beds and DEF fluid requirements. You can find 2009 or 2010 with all the basic amenities the newer trucks have from playng music from your smartphone to a back up camera. You can't get any other truck maker in this price of 25k to 30k with a quiter motor and interior than ford lariat king ranch or crew cab in general. GMC may be the best truck on the market with the 2017 Denali but unless you can afford a 60k+ truck its never going to be financed without almost half down at the signing agreement. Good luck with your 6.4 if you go that way. I did and love it!!!
http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/1212dp-6-4l-problems/

Old 04-22-2017, 01:53 AM
jimh425
Senior User
I passed what seemed to be a newer than '10 Super Duty today that was towing a larger fifth wheel on the side of the road pouring out antifreeze. Hard to say if it was a gasoline or diesel. Point is, anything can break.

As far as the trucktrend article goes, "Although select engine failures occur here and there, the 6.4L has a pretty good track record so far." This was written in Dec 2012, btw.

6.4s are definitely a different engine with the DPF off. I was reading another forum the other day and the poster was trying to figure out how to force a 2017 Ford 6.7 regen. In the thread, someone mentioned that a CTS can force a regen. Point is the DPFs are evil.

One more thing, credit unions do loan money on older than 10 year old vehicles at good rates. Generalizing that someone should pay cash doesn't make a lot of sense. It depends. A loan on a 25K truck makes at least as much sense as a loan on a 70K new truck.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:01 PM
cruz2322
New User
Me being you and reading the story's here I would take most of the people advice here get your self something that you can count on. Here's my reason's for telling you this. I have a 6.4L and at first this beauty ran like a champ, but then like most champs it has started to give me nothing but grief please what ever you do stay away from the 6.4L unless you plane on taking out a second mortgage. Because this will bleed you to death and Ford and the dealer wont care whats going on with your new ride all their thinking is you have the money $$$$$ they'll have the time and most cases they themselves won't know what going on or even how to fix it. So please stay away from this nightmare of a truck. As soon as I get my back from the shop I'll save and get me something ELSE.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:58 PM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Giancarlo Mack
I agree! After owning a 2006 F-350 gas 6.2 H-D painted single rear long bed for 8 years i finally got my dream truck King Ranch. My 2009 F-250 Lariat King Ranch may have just as many potential problems as the 6.0's and 6.7's but if you want to get an affordable diesel truck financed you need a solid extended warranty and low miles. I got mine with 75,000 verified with car fax. No switched engines and verified consistent VIN is a great way to look for a good truck. Once you check for bkowback when you remove the oil cap and check for a bent radiator caused by frame twists for guys who rock climb you should be good. No deletes or your extended warranty is void. The power is awesome if you looking for torque and speed. The new fords are worse off with aluminum beds and DEF fluid requirements. You can find 2009 or 2010 with all the basic amenities the newer trucks have from playng music from your smartphone to a back up camera. You can't get any other truck maker in this price of 25k to 30k with a quiter motor and interior than ford lariat king ranch or crew cab in general. GMC may be the best truck on the market with the 2017 Denali but unless you can afford a 60k+ truck its never going to be financed without almost half down at the signing agreement. Good luck with your 6.4 if you go that way. I did and love it!!!

In 2006, there was the triton 5.4 V8 and the triton 6.8 V10. The 6.2 wasn't offered until 2011.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to get a dependablle 6.4?